Bongofish
December 08, 2019, 07:28:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ... What do I need?  (Read 2312 times)
Kiddo
New Poster

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:58:36 PM »

Hey guys,

first off: I'm 18 Years old and like to build a cintiq myself.
I want to have a "portable" version on a laptop, so I can take it with me all the time and sketch.

Even though I read a lot of threads I'm still unsure about the materials i should buy.

I want to turn a 10,1'' Laptop into a Portable Cintiq. I figured that a Wacom A5 Wide would do the job pretty well,
but now I read I need a Controll device thing in it, too?

Could someone explain this to me in a few steps? It'll be great, I like Cintiqs so much~

Thanks <3
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 01:31:32 AM »

I am not so sure what you want exactly.  Do you want the laptop to still be working or you just want to strip off the screen to make it a "cintiq monitor"?  Do you want to use that laptop screen or get another LCD panel "strapped on top"?

Watch out that most wacom tablets have a big border (~1 inch or more) around the "active area".    The alternative is to use a device that is normally used in tabletPCs:  The penenabled wacom sensors. Very thin, it slips under the lcd.  It has virtually no border.

What OS are you running on the laptop?

There are many routes and asking for something "compact" is a handicap with trying to build stuff with spare parts. Not all wacom sensors tabletPC have been interfaced. There are many, many flavors and most of them we have problem interfacing them.

Do you have equipment to make electronic soldering?

I suggest you search in the builds people that have attempted similar things.

There are no recipes, simply because everybody is different and also there is absolutely no garantee that it will work in the end.
Kiddo
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »

I am not so sure what you want exactly.  Do you want the laptop to still be working or you just want to strip off the screen to make it a "cintiq monitor"?  Do you want to use that laptop screen or get another LCD panel "strapped on top"?
Basically I want the laptop to be still working and use the build-in screen. Just like TheGreenBean's Minitiq.

Watch out that most wacom tablets have a big border (~1 inch or more) around the "active area".    The alternative is to use a device that is normally used in tabletPCs:  The penenabled wacom sensors. Very thin, it slips under the lcd.  It has virtually no border.

What OS are you running on the laptop?

Thanks for the info! Do you know where to buy such a sensor?
The OS is Windows 7.

There are many routes and asking for something "compact" is a handicap with trying to build stuff with spare parts. Not all wacom sensors tabletPC have been interfaced. There are many, many flavors and most of them we have problem interfacing them.

Do you have equipment to make electronic soldering?

I suggest you search in the builds people that have attempted similar things.

There are no recipes, simply because everybody is different and also there is absolutely no garantee that it will work in the end.

The equipment is here. Since I'm not that much into electronics there is a friend who's helping me with everything(...and who's much more into it then I am. Smiley ). I just need to get the basic idea, and then we can start.
It's okay if it fails, since I just wanted to try things out. But it would be still great if it would work in the end.  Wink
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 12:45:39 PM »

no specific places to get these wacom digitizers.  Ebay, etc.  You have to watch for the size. Often it will tell the size, but will tell on which laptop it came from. So then you search for that laptop physical screen size. Watch for different aspect ratios as well (10 inch widescreen is different than 10 inch 4:3 ratio). If that can be of any help, you can try the simtiq planner: http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1984.0 to help compute sizes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: