Bongofish
December 12, 2019, 09:29:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Optimistiq - intuos3 a5 wide 12.5" IPS LED panel  (Read 7905 times)
jwkeiser
New Poster

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »

So i did a pretty good job of hijacking this thread: http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1543.0 Until i got to the point that i could use my own build log.

I failed miserably at a build about a year ago, where i tried to affix a usb-powered 7" monitor to my wacom bamboo...too many things to extend and too many moving parts, so i lost interest. (you can search for it, it's called "the disastiq")

I decided instead to try to work off my intuos3 6x11, and after a ton of research and data sheet scouring (the thread above helped a ton! thanks bernard and GwenLP), i decided on a 12.5 IPS panel from LG, i was worried about compatability/if i'd be able to secure a controller for it, but here's what i wrote in that other thread before deciding i'd get my own build log:

Ok, so i have some pretty good news. I went ahead and ordered an LP125WH2-SLB2 from laptopscreen.com. I was a little bit nervous that I'd end up with a non IPS panel, even though the rep i spoke with assured me otherwise. It was $85 including the upgraded 2 day shipping (well worth it), and I'm happy to report that it arrived with the correct model #:

* lp125_back.jpg (125.92 KB. 1000x750 - viewed 594 times.)

* lp125_label.jpg (80.93 KB. 800x600 - viewed 567 times.)

i was a little discouraged when i tried to hook it up to my 1024x600 netbook, the LED lit up but i couldn't get it to show anything, even with adjusting the resolution to the native one of the panel (using a second monitor). It wasn't until i attached it to a newer laptop with a 1366x768 connection that it fired up and worked beautifully:

* lp125_success.jpg (132.22 KB. 800x600 - viewed 834 times.)

i placed the monitor on top of my intuos3, and there was jitter, but much less than when i tried it on my 1024x600 netbook (which was only driving the LED apparently), so i'm optimistic that it can be corralled with some refresh rate tweaking with switchresx/powerstrip and maybe some shielding of the attached pcb.

The monitor is super slim and as expected, the viewing angle is glorious:

* lp125_angle.jpg (113.6 KB. 800x600 - viewed 614 times.)

so, where do i stand? well, njytouch has some led controllers for lp156wh2 panels, which is almost the exact screen that was on the 1366x768 laptop i successfully tested the lp125 on, so, the two should work...right?? well that one doesn't have a dvi connection, so i'm going to get the one for the 13.3 inch panel, which has identical specs. I have an email into Christina from NJYtouch about this (she has been wonderful so far) to see if she can test the 15.6" on the 13.3" controller and confirm it works.

I'll keep you all updated, this is looking good so far.

jwkeiser
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 05:58:08 PM »

Good news, heard back from Christina at NJYtouch, and she confirmed that the controller for the LP156 is the same as the one for the LP133, except with a DVI port:
"Yes, the sets for LP133WH1(TL)(B1) is the same with for LP156WH2 LCD; just with DVI port too."
So i went ahead and bought it, i upgraded to 3-5 day shipping because i'm an impatient bastard.

In the meantime, i went ahead and disassembled my intuos3 a5 wide (this was heart breaking/nerve wracking, as it was way more complicated than i had thought). Luckily the guy who did the dracotiq had a good bit on how to proceed. Here is what i did:
poor unsuspecting intuos:

* unsuspecting.jpg (60.42 KB. 800x511 - viewed 550 times.)

i removed the screws (easy part), and pulled apart the plastic clips all around, only to find that the top portion is connected to the bottom portion by a piece of copper foil, which is also attached to the metal sheet on the bottom. This is very fragile so i was careful, but i'm sure if you ripped it it could easily be reconnected. i figured it was for grounding, so i detached it from the bottom (it was only attached to plastic at that juncture), but kept it attached to the metal sheet. so basically i had the tablet upside down. From there, i began prying the top plastic frame from the one below it, after a lot of popping and cracking and sliding a plastic putty knife in between the layers, it FINALLY came up. TOns and tons of tape on there:

* moarTape.jpg (71.34 KB. 800x543 - viewed 618 times.)

now what? more tape to get the pcb separated from the underlying plastic bit. the location of this wasn't clear to me, so i've posted a pic of where it's located (right inside of the touch strips):

* pcb_tape.jpg (69.8 KB. 800x516 - viewed 585 times.)

i detached it by sliding the same plastic putty knife in between the layers and fishing around until i felt SOFT resistance. I tried jamming it in from the side originally, and ended up breaking off one of the small button-reciever things from the pcb (not a big deal, it came off a button on the right side of the tablet, and i don't use them anyway). I found the best way to get the pcb detached was to come in from the top of the tablet and go down. don't use a credit card as it's not sharp and won't really work, and DON'T USE METAL. you'll scratch the crap out of the pcb, no one wants that.
Here's the exposed pcb with my highlighting of where i broke the little button piece off:

* intuos_stripped.jpg (119.58 KB. 800x530 - viewed 650 times.)

so that's that. i want to wait until i get the controller in before i start hacking the tablet cover apart/stripping the paint, as who knows if the controller will create more jitter/jibe with my original design. guess it's time to wait.....hate waiting.

jwkeiser
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 04:03:48 PM »

Update:

I got the controller in, and thank goodness, it drives the panel *PHEW* Grin

So i initially got really excited, because there was almost NO jitter right away, but i discovered that after the panel warmed up a bit, the jitter got much worse. I tried removing the tape that covers the attached pcb, and sliding some aluminum foil/static bag material in between, but it didn't seem to have much effect. The jitter was at its worst right at the edge of the pcb, and resulted in random clicks/really bad jitter as i moved the cursor further away from the screen. I then realized maybe i need to shield the wacom board from the pcb, so i put several layers of aluminum foil UNDERNEATH the pcb, on top of the wacom board. This has all but eliminated jitter! Now i can have the pen up to an inch off the board and it still barely jitters (and only within ~10-20mm of the pcb). Here's a pic:

* shielding.jpg (79.6 KB. 600x401 - viewed 636 times.)

However, i do still get random clicks whenever the pen is at the exact threshold of the read height, and that happens everywhere on the board. This isn't really a problem, except i found that when i draw quickly, the pen is frequently in this position, so i end up with a couple little dots all over the place (not THAT big of a deal, but annoying for sure).

Does anyone know of a way to somehow decrease the reading height of the cursor? it only happens when it's right AT the edge of the read height.

I also worked up the courage to dremel out the hole in the second grey layer of plastic for the lcd, scary!! here's my first test with the random clicks pointed out:

* first_test.jpg (115.57 KB. 1000x750 - viewed 813 times.)

Sensitivity is great, the IPS panel is very sharp/viewing angles are great, i've calibrated the cursor so it's dead-on in almost every spot, so the only real issue i have left are the annoying-but-livable random clicks. oh, and i need to figure out a way to assemble all this crap. i want to keep it as flat as possible, so i'll probably end up affixing the controller/etc to the side or top of the tablet...somehow.

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:54:41 AM »

Have you played with the monitor frequencies?
jwkeiser
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 04:51:23 PM »

Have you played with the monitor frequencies?

Yes, this is sort of an annoying story:
So i do most of my creative stuff on snow leopard, so that's where i'll probably be using my Optimistiq. So, i installed switchResX, and annoyingly, you can only create 2 custom resolutions at a time with the trial version, and you have to reboot any time you change them (in order for them to become available in display preferences). ALSO, the native resolution of my screen is 1366x768, and switchResX doesn't allow me to change the 1360 setting to 1366, very annoying. I change the resolution and it simply resets the 6 to a 0, it just will not accept 1366 as a horizontal for custom resolutions.

I tried some arbitrary frequencies at the 1360x768 resolution, probably about 10 of them. None had any affect on the random clicks, and adding two resolutions, picking random frequencies, rebooting, opening display preferences, changing the resolution, then testing is becoming way too time consuming to fix a couple random clicks here or there.

So i booted into windows 7 to try powerstrip. After installing it, it won't open. It appears very quickly in task manager, then disappears, and nothing happens...
I know that in windows, this normally means that something is preventing it from opening. i run a very lean system in windows, only ~60 or so processes on startup, so i'm a little vexed here, as i got it to work fine on my win7 laptop (but that has an integrated intel graphics chip, and powerstrip doesn't support custom frequencies on those). i wonder if it has something to do with bootcamp.

I think i'll try my luck with grounding the shielding and the controller as i'm assembling the enclosure.

In other news, i removed the paint from the outermost plastic cover of the intuos, i did it by sanding, as i wanted more control. it's quite scratched up, i need to do some work to get rid of the 180 grit scratches. will take some elbow grease but i'm way more comfortable with this method than using harsh chemicals. (plus i wanted better control as i didn't want to strip ALL the paint, just the area the screen would show through. I'll post pics when i get home from work tonight.
jwkeiser
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 04:49:51 PM »

so i think i'm finished sanding the outer intuos cover, at least for the time being.
here is what i did to get the paint off:
sanded like mad with 180 grit
wet sanded with 400, then 600, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000, then 2500
i then polished with meguiar's plastX, which i HIGHLY recommend.
there are some vague scratches left from the sandpaper, but it's more of a haze and you can't see it when the screen is on:

* clearCover2.jpg (137.72 KB. 1000x750 - viewed 744 times.)

* clearCover.jpg (114.96 KB. 1000x750 - viewed 713 times.)

The outside drawing surface is a little bit slick for my tastes, though i'm sure i could get used to it. i think i'll shop around for a slightly matte screen cover or something. worst case i may end up wet sanding it/polishing it for less of a glossy finish and to allow the pen some traction.

The cursor lines up nicely, jitter is non-existent except for a 1cm x 1cm section near the top where the connector is (even there it barely moves), sensitivity is great, everything is absolutely golden aside from three relatively minor things:
1. random clicks at the threshold of the read height, i still have to ground some things so i'm really hoping this fixes it -- it's only an annoyance, but a big one
2. the screen's attached pcb gets hot. not warm, but hot. it's not hot enough to burn your skin, but still something to keep an eye on.
3. i have to find a way to attach the controller/keypad. i really want to keep it as flat as possible, but i'm thinking i won't be able to avoid sticking it under the case in some way. currently looking around/scrounging for a smallish metal box that i can alter.

Cost of the build so far:
Intuos A5 Wide (6x11) -- free (already had it :-) )
LP125WH2-SLB2 12.5" LG-Philips Slim LED IPS panel (1366x768) -- $69.99 + $14.99 shipping
R.RM5251 controller from njytouch -- $36.99 + $16.99 shipping
12v 4a power supply -- $8 shipped
Sandpaper and meguiar's plastX -- ~$12

I can't see myself spending much more than that for the rest, not bad eh?

GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 10:14:07 AM »

Hi jwkeiser !

You're my hero !

I am the guy from the other intuos A5 wide thread. I've never passed the stage of planning, and suddenly i discover you did it all !
I have a few questions: would you recommend laptopscreen.com ?
I have a seller here who can provide me with a LP125WH2 SLB1 (a recent one) for 100€, that's twice what you paid in fact... I am in Europe, not sure about shipping cost for laptopscreen.com...

Did you manage to reduce these nasty random clicks ?
jwkeiser
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »

Sorry i haven't been here for a while. GwenLP emailed me, so i figured i'd post my response below so we can continue the record:

Hi Gwen, i'm glad you contacted me!

I haven't done much since i last posted there, the random clicks are still there, but i haven't done much to attempt to fix it. You should DEFINITELY buy that panel that i bought, the quality is great and it works fine with the controller i mentioned in my posts. i do recommend laptopscreens.com, make sure you pester them to confirm that you're getting the correct IPS panel, that's what i did and they sent me the correct one. Everything works pretty well, i think sometime soon i will try to replace the aluminum foil with a thicker piece of aluminum sheet and see how that works for shielding.

The random clicks aren't too bad, but they're noticeable. Also, the cursor tends to be a couple pixels off in some places, but with some tweaking you can get it close enough so it isn't noticeable. I sort of have everything all done, i just need to sand the cover even more (still has sanding marks), try the thicker aluminum sheet, and probably try to secure the whole thing down. I've been very busy so hopefully i can find some time to finish the project!
GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 10:50:30 PM »

Hi There !

Thanks to jwkeiser for his reply to my mail ! My own project is moving forward a bit.
See  my own thread for more.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 10:53:03 PM by GwenLP » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: