Bongofish
December 14, 2019, 08:24:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: The Swintiq  (Read 52954 times)
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2007, 02:49:08 AM »

Took forever to resize each and every one of them, then put in words and stuff, but I finally am done.  LCD is a Dell 1503fp.  This is the same model as Drew, but I read recently that Dell changed the way they made these so mine seems to be different then his.  His isn't very detailed as it was only to show you how he did it (It is ok Drew, I am just better then you  Cheesy )  This was the first time I ever did this and after just reading the tutorials on the site, I was able to do it very easily.  These pics should be easy enough to follow that anyone can do it.  Some don't have comments because it is very simple to understand, or I may be just showing you what it looks like.  Also, if you do not understand something, just ask.  Circle means screw, X means tab.  READ THE TUTORIALS AND HELP SECTION BEFORE DOING THIS.  This will help you to complete this.

Took forever to resize each and every one of them, then put in words and stuff, but I finally am done.  LCD is a Dell 1503fp.  This is the same model as Drew, but I read recently that Dell changed the way they made these so mine seems to be different then his.  His isn't very detailed as it was only to show you how he did it (It is ok Drew, I am just better then you  Cheesy )  This was the first time I ever did this and after just reading the tutorials on the site, I was able to do it very easily.  These pics should be easy enough to follow that anyone can do it.  Some don't have comments because it is very simple to understand, or I may be just showing you what it looks like.  Also, if you do not understand something, just ask.  Circle means screw, X means tab.  READ THE TUTORIALS AND HELP SECTION BEFORE DOING THIS.  This will help you to complete this.

^^Sorry, remembered that I didnt tell how to take out FFC, there is a black thing on top, that should lift up easily with a fingernail, should slide out easily

This was a while ago.
It is a .5 pitch 20 pin.
Check tutorial section for my tutorial on Calculating pitch.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 05:27:15 PM by Switz » Logged

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 04:41:08 AM »

Pictures are up!

Come and get them while they are hot.

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 07:20:37 AM »

Sweet.  The screen module is different from mine, but it looks like a good one.   Perhaps that's a different revision number?

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 01:39:51 PM »

Thats what I am assuming, but I only need one ffc connector right?  A 20 pin .5 pitch?

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 03:21:49 PM »

yep

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 12:29:14 AM »

Thanks, just ordered it

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 09:07:23 PM »

Alright, my tablet did not come with a serial cable or a pen, so I either have to buy a new one with one included or go out and make my own cable since it has a dc adapter in it...

Will update soon.

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 02:47:04 AM »

Any comments on pics?

Thanks

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 09:57:38 PM »

31 bucks and the pen and cord are mine

I had to buy another 1212, but since shipping costs so much, i just decided to let him keep it so shipping goes down about a much needed 20-40 bucks.  He also thinks its the wrong wire, which he may be right, but I think it is correct.  He gave me overnight shipping for 5 bucks so will be here soon.

Nice!!

-switz

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 10:20:55 AM »

Bargain.

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 02:15:51 AM »

Turns out cable is a serial D9 male to female which is perfect, but not wacoms with built in DC, so the person didnt think it was, but overnighted it to me for 5 bucks because of that and said I could return, I probably will just go with making my own, but I am not sure.

Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 09:15:08 AM »

Hey Switz,

are you looking for an ultrapad serial cable? if yes, i have drawn the scheme pin to pin (including power supply connection) of the cable of an Ultrapad 12*18", but i think it's the same for all ultrapad with detacheable cable.
if you want i can post it here :-)

Vince

Beware: the Wacom cable is not standard serial!

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 07:46:16 AM »

I have the plans from wacom, thanks though.

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 07:06:41 PM »

Price so far:
$249.63 USD

(This includes cables, dremel, lcd, tablet, shipping and more.)

Item   Price   Shipping   Total Price

Notebook Cooler Pad/ USB/ 2 fans/ for laptop                          $1.25   $5.00   $6.25
Mini Dremel Rotary Tool + 60 piece accessory                         $24.50   $5.00   $29.50
WACOM Digitizer 2 Graphic Tablet UD-1212-R                         $30.00   $30.00   $60.00
Samsung SyncMaster 150 (Silver) 15 inch LCD                            $13.00   $0.00   $13.00
Dell 15" Flat Panel LCD Monitor 1503FP                                     $54.99   $15.85   $70.84
USB to RS232 Serial 9 Pin DB9 Cable Adapter                           $1.09   $6.95   $8.04
FFC CONNECTOR 20 PIN .5 PITCH                                            $18.00   $8.00   $26.00
Wacom ArtzII 12x12 Tablet Mac or PC                                    $31.00       $5.00      $36.00
TOTAL                                                                                $173.83   $75.80   $249.63

The reason you see a monitor for 13 USD with no shipping is because I bought one and I realized it was internal so the guy made me pay him a little for the trouble, which is ok.  I also had to buy two tablets because I bought one, then it didnt come with any cables or pens, so I bought another, but only made the send me the pen and cable, but the cable is wrong so I still have to get one.

Anyone know where I can get LIF (low insertion force) cables because I am kind of paranoid about myself making my own lol.

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 02:02:25 AM »

Just made a huge breakthrough, I was able to wire up the lcd without any extensions at all!  This is of course with the tablet in between the lcd and boards.  I still dont have the cable for the tablet, but I think I am going to return the pen and cable, and then, I will sell the tablet I have now, and just buy another one with everything included, being careful this time.

See ya around,
Switz

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: