Bongofish
November 13, 2019, 02:42:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Different approach on a DIY Cintiq  (Read 2562 times)
Bert
New Poster

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:50:44 PM »

Hi Y'all, I'm thinking about creating a "Do-It-Yourself-Cintiq" (Duh).

I've been thinking about it a lot and since a few days I have this crazy idea: I want to buy a resistive touch screen with touch sensitivity but no pressure sensitivity. Like for instance the Iiyama T1731SR-B1.
I'd like to combine this screen with a cheap pressure sensitive stylus, but I am in doubt whether this is possible or not.

I'd like to know if there is a tablet that transmits it's pressure signal by radio, in other words: you receive a pressure signal when you press the nib and your stylus is not near the tablet.
The Wacom tablets only send their pressure signal when you are hovering above your tablet, so they aren't an option. I'm wondering if any of the cheaper tablet brands e.g. Genius, who use different technology (AAA battery in the stylus) would offer me a solution to this problem.

If there was a cheap tablet that did not send their pressure data through the tablet, creating a DIY cintiq would be a lot easier.

What do you think? I appreciate your help and other suggestions to make this work.

Bert
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 02:37:08 PM »

Combining the pressure of one device with the X/Y position from another device is not going to be easy I think. They both have their own driver that will not "mix". 

Well, on afterthought, maybe through some custom hardware (or a Teensy with a heavily modified Waxbee). That is, *if* you can interface both devices yourself on the custom hardware and then emulate a third device (an intuos for example) that would have both the x/y coordinates and the pressure as one. The PC/Mac would just see the emulated device.

There are some products out there to convert a screen or laptop into a tablet.  Not great and often no pressure sensitivity, but maybe something to check out.

I think Wacom itself sells something to "digitize" a normal drawing pad with great pressure sensitivity. (Inkling at 200$US).

Bert
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 12:36:47 PM »

Thx a lot for the quick reply.

I'm not gonna go through with this, I simply dont have the technical baggage. My respect goes out to the ones who do have the balls and the brains.

Instead I bought a used Cintiq 18sx on Ebay. It's a very old device so it's also a bit of a gamble. Once I've got it I'll let you know how it worked out for me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: