Bongofish
November 20, 2017, 04:43:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wood watch  (Read 6661 times)
cellofaan

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2012, 05:33:56 PM »

While I am finishing up on my last couple of things before i have allowed myself to continue work on the tiqtac, I designed a watch.
Nothing too fancy. Pretty basic design. Only special thing is I'm building it myself from wood, and I'll have it lasercut, so it's a layered design.

The pic shows the initial sketch design. It has changed quite a bit since that image, but the idea remains the same. More pics when I get to my own computer.

* woodwatch.png (265.75 KB, 1630x844 - viewed 2185 times.)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 02:21:47 PM »

cool stuff! 
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 09:35:42 PM »

fourth iteration already.

I ditched the lugs. Those need to be pretty sturdy since the strap attaches to them, but look nicer when they''re smaller. Not really possible with multiplex.
So the strap now runs straight through the watch, securing the lid at the back as well. It looks more clean too, and is easier to assemble.

Less is still more.

I have a graphic for the dial too. It'll be a one-hand watch. Only the hour hand, and a mark for every fifth minute.
Have to find that somewhere.

Next time I'll divide circles in more edges. It now looks like a jagged shaped instead of the smooth circle it's supposed to be.

* new edge.jpg (159.43 KB, 1485x758 - viewed 2052 times.)

* exploded.jpg (117.91 KB, 1485x758 - viewed 1839 times.)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:40:15 PM by cellofaan » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 04:31:36 AM »

Only the hour hand and "a mark for every fifth minute"

Sounds very cool, but I do not quite follow.  Do you mean have 4 sub divisions (3 marks) between every 1 hour mark? Sounds like a lot of marks for a small space.

What do you need to find exactly?
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »

I meant Ihad to find the image I made of the watch with the dial.

And I found it!

* watch impression.png (36.32 KB. 390x437 - viewed 1818 times.)

The hour marks are subdivided in quarterhours, which in turn are subdivided again in 5minute increments. In total 144 marks around the dial, or a mark at every 0.9mm. which is quite dense indeed

I realize these posts are a bit vague and fragmented. I will rewrite the first post when this project is finished.

edit:
Maybe I'll spray paint the dial white and the hourhand black

* newer edge.png (38.7 KB. 390x437 - viewed 1643 times.)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 02:40:30 PM by cellofaan » Logged
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 11:09:13 AM »

It's been a while, but I finally got around to making this thing.
Pretty much everything went well the first time around. Much different from building cintiqs.
I still have to change the crown into a wooden one, and I'm not too happy with the look of the dial. Makes the watch look vintage, instead of modern.
The hour hand could use some extra length too. Difficult to read the time now.

* P1060071.JPG (198.28 KB. 768x576 - viewed 1543 times.)

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »

Amazing! That's some detailed laser work. I think that vintage look sort of works.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »

Awesome stuff! 

How does it hold onto your arm?  Is it comfortable?

"01", "02", "03"  (instead of "1", "2", "3") !   Geeky.  As a programmer and tech guy, I almost missed them!

Your minute hand looks like it is showing "seconds" -- I guess seeing it live helps with that.

How does it all hold together? is it fragile?
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 09:19:49 PM »

Thanks for the kind words!
The look does kind of work for the watch, but it's not something I would personally wear.
I really had imagined it to look much more modern. Maybe the marks and numbers need to be printed a little thicker, and the classic hour hand doesn't help either.
Initially I had the dial engraved, but the material was too thick to put the hands back on so I printed it on paper for now.

The minute hand is actually the seconds hand and it does show seconds. I omitted the minute hand, and marked the time in 5 minute parts so with a longer hour hand you can read the time pretty precise. With the short hour hand I'm using it is hard to read though, so I'll try to find a longer one or glue something on to it to make it longer (and less old fashioned). The seconds hand is not really needed, but I like to see something moving.

I didn't wear it yet. Though the strap can bend far enough to fit my wrist, it is still a bit too stiff to close it with one hand. And the closing mechanism broke so I'm working on a better design.
Apart from that, the watch isn't fragile at all. Of course not as strong as metal and I wouldn't wear it while playing sports, but for normal wear I expect it to be fine.

Update:
Ok! I've changed the dial and made a new hour hand. Looking much better IMO.

* P1060072.JPG (247.16 KB. 768x576 - viewed 1594 times.)

Only things left are to finish the strap and the crown.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:21:22 PM by cellofaan » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: