Bongofish
December 11, 2019, 01:11:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Backlight slab depth  (Read 2977 times)
hipster
New Poster

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »

My search for a 22" 16:10 monitor continues , really hard to find info for older monitors in this size , whether it's ccfl backlight array or edge light. Now I have a few Dell possibilities , but some are 2 ccfl tubes and some are 4 ccfl tubes - so my question is , is the backlight slab on a four - tube model going to be significantly thicker than a two- tube model , to the point where it hinders the ablity of the tablet to work properly?
Any info gratefully received.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:17:13 AM »

Hi hipster,

Although I can't give you a definitive answer to this question I can tell you that I have a 17" monitor with 4 ccfls (2xtop and 2xbottom) and that the total thickness of the panel is about 14mm. However, once I removed the plastic bezel and the metal backing I got the thickness down to 9mm. The ccfls themselves were stacked one on top of the other and the total height of them including the metal holder was 9.1mm. This will of course be different depending on monitor brand/model but may help you in your search.

I would see if you can find out more info about the panel inside the monitors and then see if you can track down any more info specifically on the panel. A website I found useful for this is www.Panelook.com, although I would suggest using google to search for the model, ie: "(panel model here) panelook overview". Turns out Panelook's search engine isn't that great.

Hope this is useful.
hipster
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 12:21:39 PM »

Aerendraca , thanks for the reply - it's all useful. Can you say whether stacking of the ccfls is across the edge of the slab or in the plane of the slab?
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:05:05 PM »

The ccfls are perpendicular to the plane of the diffuser slab, see image:

hipster
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 09:42:32 PM »

Thanks , I thought that was what you meant but it's best to make sure! I'll have to try my tablet and work out what kind of depth I can get away with , although I would have thought even 2 ccfl backlight slabs would be close to 9mm .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: