Bongofish
December 08, 2019, 07:28:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: yes?
yes - 0 (0%)
no - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best laptop panels wiki  (Read 4468 times)
zsero
New Poster

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »

OK, it seems that I cannot open a new topic, so I had to open a new poll.

I'd like to share with you a small wiki I've been writing about the best laptop panels.
http://piratepad.net/bestpanels

The most interesting panels for graphical purposes I believe are the

12.5 inch LG LP125WH2 SLB2 IPS, used in the Thinkpad X220, X230 (also used in jwkeiser's build)
15.6 inch LG LP156WF4 SLB1 FullHD IPS, used in the Sony SE
15.6 inch AUO B156HW01 V.4, FullHD high quality TN, 95% AdobeRGB, used in Thinkpad T and W lines

AFAIK all should be compatible with the njytouch controllers. And laptopscreen.com is a reliable supplier, one of the few where you can ask if they have the exact model and they know what you are talking about. One of the owners is present on notebookreview.com's forums and you can ask him questions in PM. Here is his profile: http://forum.notebookreview.com/member.php?u=460263

The hole grail of laptop LCD panels are the LG LP156WF3 ... 10-bit IPS panels used in HP DreamColor displays and Dell workstations, but their 50-pin pinout isn't compatible with anything I know so far. They are so special that even HP and Dell needs to manufacture two different motherboards for the non-IPS and IPS models. The 10-bit models cannot even connect to Intel integrated graphics, so those models are nVidia (or AMD) only. If there is anyone who has contacts for making a custom controller for these 10-pin panels, they would definitely be the most amazing screens. The datasheets for them are somewhere on the net.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:39:42 PM by zsero » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:04:40 AM »

Welcome zsero!

Probably this was your first post -- as a spam-counter measure, we block people from creating topics when they never posted before.

LG LP156WF3: True 10 bits panels is indeed special -- I wonder why they need a different connector for that though? Nowadays, the special connectors are only for the "LED / backlight" portion. For the actual data bit connections, it is - I believe - the same good old 2 Channel LVDS -- just that they stream in 10 bits (instead of 6 or 8 ).  Have you gotten the datasheet? I only saw a summary of the specs.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:54:19 PM by bernard » Logged
zsero
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:56:30 AM »

I think you are talking about the LP156WF3, the LG LP125WH2 is the 6-bit IPS panel used in the X220, X230. Here is the datasheet. I don't understand the details, if you found out something please tell me.

http://monitor.espec.ws//files/lp156wf3-slb1_546.pdf
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »

ah yes, copy/paste handling error.  Fixed the text.

After a look at the datasheet:  That 50 pin connector. It is indeed a different type of LVDS connection. It is still split in 2 channels (Odd/Even) -- but there are 2 extra signal (per channel) and the R/G/B bits are redistributed between all the signals. I assume for low frequency/low power/EMI reasons, they opted for 2 extra signals instead of upping the frequency. Each signal carries up to 7 bits and the 10x3 R/G/B bits are distributed among the 5x7 frames. This is totally not compatible with standard 6 bits/8 bits 2 channels LVDS connections.

The LED/Backlight signals are not integrated: they are on a separate 20 pin connector. Some LED Panels have a separate LED connection and others are integrated within the main connector. This LED/Backlight connector contains the standard signals you would expect for a Backlight (CCFL or LED) (and brightness level works through a PWM -- something another member here is trying to interface these days). My guess here is that the panel already have its own LED Driver (some LED Panels exposes the LEDs and you need an external LED Driver).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: