test1
March 28, 2017, 08:44:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LED display power source issues  (Read 3341 times)
maniacalkittykat
New Poster

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2012, 05:20:35 AM »

I'm doing a DIY Cintiq with an Intuos 4 Large and a 15.6'' LED LCD 1080p display.  On the back of the display, there is a flat cable that runs from the LEDs all the way into the board at the bottom with no slack what so ever so I can't flip the board over without unplugging the LEDs.  I've searched all over the place to find a matching ribbon to create an extension but I've had no luck.  I've seen a number of DIY Cintiqs with LED displays, so there's gotta be a trick to it.  Any ideas?

Here's a pic of what it looks like.  It's 12 pins and has a weird shape to it:

1012122016-01 by maniacalkittykat, on Flickr
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 05:16:39 PM »

This is a flex(-like) cable.  This is not standard (I have never seen that one for connecting leds).

You said 12 pins?  Please measure the "pitch".   (The distance between the center of two adjacent pins).  The way to do this is to measure the distance between the far-most connections (center to center or left side to left side, same thing), and then divide by the number of pins - 1.  (11).   In millimeters please.   Typical sizes 1.0 mm, 0.5 mm, 0.3 mm.

Take a picture of the connector where this cable fits in normally.  Take as many pictures as possible. Thanks.

Then the next step is to hunt for some way to extend that cable.  I know it is difficult. There are a few tricks (with varying successes).

Tell us about the model of the LCD monitor (is this coming from a monitor?).  

Also tell us about the model of the "LCD Panel" (the internal component is often a different brand than the monitor/laptop, like LG or Samsung). Often a sticker in the back of the LCD Panel.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:31:22 PM by bernard » Logged
maniacalkittykat
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:27:26 PM »

It's an AUO B156HW01 V.3 15.6" LED LCD display.

The LED strip

The insert for the strip

The board model and other info

More info

Overall look

What it looked like before I stripped it

Spec sheet: http://www.yslcd.com.tw/docs/product/B156HW01%20V.3.pdf

The flex cable measures at .25 inches wide (6.35 mm). I've looked into some other LED models like Samsung and LG but I have yet to find one that doesn't have that same annoying flex cable.  I just need to extend it about two or three inches so I can flip the board over.  Grr!  The frustration!  >:<
pntbll248

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:24:32 AM »

I dunno if you're still looking for a solution for this, but I believe the LED FPC in question goes by FH33-12S-0.5SH(05). Its friends call it HFS12CT.

At least, that's what I've seen it called in a few other datasheets. Should have a 0.5mm pitch. Any ideas further ideas as to how to extend this connection? I'd sure love to use a wide gamut 15.6" panel that has the same connection. Lots of FH33-12S-0.5SH(10)'s out there, can't seem to find any (05)'s at the moment though. Not even sure what the difference is, I've basically been flailing about in the dark on this issue.

See http://www.beyondinfinite.com/lcd/Library/Samsung/LTN154AT12.pdf at section 5.6. Different panel, but I'm thinking the connection is the same for your 15.6" LED, I've seen that FH33-12S-0.5SH(05) mentioned somewhat regularly in the datasheets and it look superficially similar to a busted 15.6" IPS panel that I have as well (not the wide-gamut).

Here's the FH33-12-0.5SH(10): http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hirose-Connector/FH33-12S-05SH10/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt6zyh4HYqUXPO479Dvp7h3
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:39:15 AM by pntbll248 » Logged
redrooster
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »

Any follow-up on this? It seems we have the same panel. Mine is V.5 though...  Smiley
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 07:14:02 PM »

I wouldn't have thought so, I haven't seen the user maniacalkittykat on the forums since I've been a member. What do you want to know, maybe someone on the forums can help with you with any problems - although I would suggest you start a new topic.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: