test1
March 24, 2017, 06:57:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Waco: Intuos4 XL with 27 inch display (UPDATE:without integrated touchscreen)  (Read 27118 times)
pixxelfrizzel
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2013, 05:39:36 PM »

I found some interesting info:

Wacom drivers for OSX cover nearly all products, beginning from the old Intuos to the new Cintiq Touch. All the same driver.

On the linux-side i found that touch and digitizer use 2 (USB)ports:

Code:
USB tablets with touch include USB tablet PCs and the Bamboo Pen & Touch series of tablets. Because their stylus/eraser & touch or touch/pad are exported as two separate kernel devices they have some idiosyncrasies we'll explore briefly. BambooPT examples will be shown because except for the pad (tablet buttons) they also apply to a USB tablet PC
, found here:
Code:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=USB_Tablets_with_Touch

So one question is answered. So with a lot of luck the tablet-driver should be able to control the touch and the digitizer... What about that, lazy-mosquito? Does that work with your setup?
lazy_mosquito

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2014, 06:51:29 PM »

UPDATE: sorry for long delay but health problems, a move and i started back with school. So a hectic year would be a nice description  Cheesy

Finally settled for a build without a touchscreen: (the parallax error became to big, and it didn't work as smooth as i wanted) Built the screen into a drawing (turn)table. Everything works perfect. I have an active area of 2100 x 1320 pixels, no jitter and the pen works perfect (the former mentioned problems were related to Painter X. With Painter 13 it works all perfect.

Will change the turntable for a fixed vertical position. The turntable was better in theory then in reality Roll Eyes It is a big dust collector on the wrong side of the glass (between the screen and the glass) and because of the distance between the protective glass plate and the screen to allow turning of the screen means also the parallax error becomes to big. The total distance between the pen and the actual screen is now about 8mm which is a little bit to much. With the fixed glass plate and no turntable i will be able to improve the distance to 2,5mm which will be a big improvement for drawing. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
bumhee34

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2014, 01:50:54 AM »

Wow....this is really crazy work!!  Wink
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2014, 06:29:01 AM »

I second that, this is an epic and serious tool. Nicely built by the way.

DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2014, 12:07:53 PM »

This is a glorious build.

That turntable reminds me of the gear I've seen in some animation studio.

Are you sure  you can't just modify the turn-table, to reduce the parallax and avoid the dust issue?

As in, using a round glass just in top of it, and dispense with the table's own glass? for keeping the turntable aligned to the main table border, why not making it "floating" and following the main table on three (height adjustable) wheels on the corners?

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
lazy_mosquito

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2014, 02:19:13 PM »

The problems are:
  • i want one glass plate for the total table because i use it also as a drawing table and the screen sometimes is just used is an ordinary lightbox
  • the turntable is already kind of floating, but the problem is that when it touches the glass cover while turning it leaves marks on the glass which are in the visible field of the screen
  • At this moment the screen is mounted with the metal border still in place which adds another 2mm, i am planning on removing that metal casing to, but this will make the screen more vulnerable for movement (the innerscreens:the diffuser, the LCD and the polarizing panel are just fixed with some tape then) the advantage is that the protective glass and the LCD are on top of each other, this protective glass is only 2,2 mm thick thus this will give me a parallax error of only 2,2 mm
  • I am drawing most of the time with the window in portrait, it is just annoying for the rest of my computerjobs, so i will add a second screen in the middle of the table in landscape as the main screen and put the drawingscreen on the leftside of the table
  • Another advantage of getting rid of the circle is that i get a much smaller border on the side which makes it much easier to look at something next to the table to draw it, like a model or a still life
for me the advantages of the fixed screen outrun the disadvantages. but i can imagine in certain cases the flexibility would be more important.
[/list]
lazy_mosquito

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2014, 03:11:12 PM »

@aerendraca:
I thought i saw on one of your posts some months ago, that you were mentioning a tool that could change the resolution of a screen. Deactivate some lines of a display. Do you know which tool i am talking about? and if so,Do you have some experience with it?
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2014, 09:37:17 PM »

I think you might be thinking of this post: http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=2395.0

I've not tried it myself but it looks promising. If you try it let us know how you get on.
lazy_mosquito

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2014, 02:46:33 AM »

Thanks Aerendraca: Your link pointed me indirect to the following page:

http://alternativeto.net/software/winsplit-revolution/?platform=windows

Found on this page a great solution for the drawingscreen:
I use a combination of:
windowmanager: http://www.desksoft.com/WindowManager.htm
and
Ghoster: http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html#Ghoster

Windowmanager manages the main windows of your applications and makes it possible to open the windows always at the same place at the same size (in my case i positioned the windows as such that the canvas and the menubar is just in my active area of the tablet.  i can't select the window border with my pen, only the content of it.  Ghoster is a small clever application that hides all the inactive windows behind a darker semitransparent layer, only the active application is standard.
This combination works very intuitive.

Even better would be an application that gives me the possibility to put the same semitransparent layer regardless off the active application. In that case i could open Painter full screen and make very clear where the active area of the tablet is by hiding the non active are after a semi transparent layer, this has the advantage that i make use of the complete screen for viewing but still can very easy see which part contains the active area for drawing
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2014, 08:12:42 AM »

Excellent solution! I'm glad I could help even if it was indirectly. Do you use Windows 7/8? Does Ghoster work well with them as it looks like the software support was stopped in 2005 (before either 7 or 8 ). I notice that WindowManager supports up to the current version of Windows; I think I stumbled on WindowManager a couple of years ago but the feature set was very limited then, it looks like it's had a whole bunch of useful features added since. *Note to self - This is likely to be very useful in the future*

lazy_mosquito

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2014, 03:38:10 PM »

Using Windows 7
Ghoster works perfectly: one negative point, the moment you select a subwindow of a program (for instance: the colorpicker in Painter) everything gets covered by the semitransparent layer including the subwindow. Which makes it more difficult to pick the wanted color, you can still see it, but it is darker.
lazy_mosquito

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2014, 12:22:54 AM »

Started makeover of the drawing table

Old table disassembled, new plate cut and drilled, added a second screen in the middle. The Wacom buttons are now integrated in the table. Have to wait for new 70cm long ffc cable ribbon and extension connector. They will normally arrive around the 10th of september. Until then i can't test the new configuration.
Some pictures of the rebuild.
I will put a black foil at the back of the glass. So everything will look very professional  Grin
For an idea of the size of the drawing panel on the left, the screen in the middle is a full HD 24 Inch monitor.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:24:36 AM by lazy_mosquito » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2014, 06:11:54 AM »

This is a great project, if I had the room I'd most likely have a go at building something like this or perhaps something inspired by a culmination of this and woodguy32's Wayback machine. I'm loving how epic these builds are becoming.
thegrumbliestpuppy
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »

This build is beautiful.  If you don't mind, I'm planning on copying the build (minus the table) for my girlfriend for our anniversary (it'll also be a combined birthday/christmas present, this stuff aint cheap lol).

I've already got the wacom/monitor (some REALLY lucky craigslist grabs).  Would you mind giving any tips/some more in depth for the noob? Things you wish you'd known before you started?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:13:52 AM by thegrumbliestpuppy » Logged
thegrumbliestpuppy
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2014, 07:43:01 PM »

How did you calibrate the thing?  I've finished my build but I'm having no luck getting the cursor to line up with ym pen
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: