Bongofish
October 21, 2019, 05:11:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Success ** Dontiq - FINISHED!  (Read 27624 times)
DonShole

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2007, 12:37:09 PM »

So, there I was snooping around youtube looking at cintiqs and I came across this.  That was followed by the ubiquitous, "Wow", "I gotta do this!", "If it works..." and so on.  And now here I am.  A long way to go.
Bought a 15" Packard Bell monitor (L15CX with external power brick) off ebay for £68.  Very bright monitor - I hope to use the monitor frame itself to house the "Dontiq".   Received it yesterday and started stripping it last night.  Pretty easy, mostly screws to deal with.  I have loads of photos but haven't had time to upload them here.
I'm stuck on unscrewing the lcd side panel from the backlight housing - tiny screws and I haven't bought a Dremel yet. 

Also ordered a Nisis Easy Pen tablet.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nisis-Easypen-Graphics-Tablet-12x9/dp/B00006IZBO/sr=8-8/qid=1170502407/ref=sr_1_8/202-7499765-6157468?ie=UTF8&s=electronics
From my reasearch it seams that the hardware is the same Aiptek.  Still waiting for that to arrive.

Cost so far £118, 1 hour 40 minutes.

**EDIT**

I've had my share of mishaps doing this.  First of all, Nisis tablets are rubbish! - for this project.  I broke a CCFL from the L15CX monitor, replacing it didn't help.  It turned out the lcd pcbs got shorted out after the one ccfl broke.  I replaced it with a packard bell CT500c.  The same monitor except, no speakers, the actual lcd is a lg phillips and, the column driver board causes interference on a ud12x12r IF   it is completely over the tablet sensor.  Shielding stops this.  Strangely I get some minor jittering on my desktop but not on the laptop I was doing all my testing with.  My " rebuild" cost is ct500c £45 incl shipping, ud12x2r £51 including shipping.

It's been fun! 

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 10:21:29 AM by Drewid » Logged

EZ CINTIQ. How to build a DIY Cintiq, it's  easier than a DIY PC! www.tabletmod.com
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 04:03:21 PM »

Halfords do screwdrivers down to 0 size, or a set of jewellers drivers.  They even do a rather nice miniature driver and bit set.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 05:20:17 PM »

Thanks for the tip Smiley

EZ CINTIQ. How to build a DIY Cintiq, it's  easier than a DIY PC! www.tabletmod.com
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 06:17:23 PM »

I hope you get on ok with a non wacom tablet. There is a reason they cost more. I was erring about using a WACOM but I already have one thats really good. What if you dont have the right pen distance from the screen?

I think you will find it hard to house the tablet in the screen casing as there will probably be a lot of PCB around the active area of the tablet that wont fit.

DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 07:08:24 PM »

I hope you get on ok with a non wacom tablet. There is a reason they cost more. I was erring about using a WACOM but I already have one thats really good. What if you dont have the right pen distance from the screen?

I think you will find it hard to house the tablet in the screen casing as there will probably be a lot of PCB around the active area of the tablet that wont fit.

Yeah, a non wacom is a gamble.  But then again so is a wacom, Robcats build with an aiptek appears to have the same jitter problems as Wei's wacom build.  Read height seems to be pretty varied even in the same models, so it's an unreliable predictor of the outcome.  For me this is practise/experience build, if I see it working, I hope to build a 21" more expensive version  Smiley

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 03:29:14 PM »

oh 21inch bad!

The thing about this jittering is that no ones found a proper cure for it yet. Which is worrying.

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 03:43:09 PM »

Looks like Rumi might have a solution, or rather a suite of solutions.

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 06:41:34 PM »

Not the way I read his last post, hes tried a lot of things but to quote him "I did a lot of tests without much success," but Im sure the answer is out there. I just hope I dont get any major problems with jittering.

I have this intresting theory that the lower the response time of your monitor the more trouble your going to get, both Wei and Rumi are using the same monitor with a response time of 25ms.

According to google Drewids Dell 1501fp has a response time of 50ms, my monitor has a reponse time of 45ms and so far Im not having any jittering problems. Maybe some market research is needed.

Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 06:55:52 PM »

interesting theory... and it may be true!
i've checked the original Cintiq time response, it has 30ms, quite bad value for a modern LCD
guys... i'm in the shit... i've just ordered a 5ms response monitor Undecided

DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 07:53:23 PM »

This is not very encouraging, my monitor has a response time of 25ms. Oh well, I may just be lucky and not have problems.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 11:58:51 PM by DonShole » Logged

DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 03:42:27 PM »

I have updated my first post in this thread to include some pics.  Incidentaly, I tested the stripped lcd on an unstripped genius wizardpen tablet.  No jitters at all, but lots of random right clicks - these stopped after disabling the pen's right click.

DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 11:22:44 AM »

My tablet finally arrived yesterday.  the tablet itself works fine.  read height is about 8mm above its case.  But oh the jitters.  putting the stripped screen ontop of the usntripped tablet works fine so long as the lcd is off.  When on there are instant jitters.  as ther does not appear to be a solution for jitters, i'm rethinking my build.

DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 12:07:19 AM »

I found a wacom UD-1212-R for £40 on ebay  Grin , so I'm back in the game sooner than I thought.  If I get no jitters, I'll continue adding the remaining photos in the rest of my monitor strip.

DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 07:12:18 PM »

My wacom arrived today.  No Jitters! WOOHOO!!! Grin
So I continue with my build.

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 11:24:48 PM »

Yayyyy Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: