Bongofish
November 14, 2019, 05:01:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Success ** Dontiq - FINISHED!  (Read 27712 times)
DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 12:24:11 PM »

Just wanted to post a video of one of my tests.  The good thing I've discovered is that it appears I can fit everything into the wacom case (with spacers) AND, I don't need to extend any cables.  Plus I've been able to save the lcds control buttons which are all on a flat flexible circuit board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBfhXHH8s54

EZ CINTIQ. How to build a DIY Cintiq, it's  easier than a DIY PC! www.tabletmod.com
kubi
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 01:08:14 PM »

really reallly nice
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 01:09:17 PM »

That looks awesome.

Good work!

naspc

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 02:44:32 PM »

hey done nice job.
do you think can walk me through on how, why, and what when stacking everything together?
ex: lcd, boards, insulation etc.....
thanks!
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 04:31:23 PM »

Fantastic.  That's looking sweet.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 05:03:24 PM »

Thanks for all your comments  Smiley .  I also discovered that my read height seems to have magically improved.  I mounted the screen+backlight slabs and ccfls back in the support frame, and was still getting a good response.  I'm not sure what I did or didn't do.  Here's a tip, when testing, place a glass/acrylick sheet on the lcd - I used glass from a photo frame.

EZ CINTIQ. How to build a DIY Cintiq, it's  easier than a DIY PC! www.tabletmod.com
DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 06:44:59 PM »

After coming so close to finishing, I have to put my project on hold.  It seems after breaking a pair of my ccfls, The lcd boards got shorted out.  Replacing the ccfls has not helped.  I discovered my power adaptor light was blinking and a google revealed that this implied a short circuit somewhere.  The screen was perfect, no extensions required, nice flexible control buttons and no jittering.  I'm debating if I should try and get the lcd fixed or just buy a dell 1503fp.  In either case I'm taking a break for a few weeks.

Messyhair

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 08:36:13 PM »

good luck don, it was going so good!

mess
DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2007, 09:17:10 AM »

So, my build is finally finished.  I can't believe I started in january.  I've updated my first post (http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=222.0)with all the new info and pics.  All the anotation on the final pics was speedily done by hand on my "new" Dontiq.

dynam1c

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007, 11:29:06 PM »

you are a hero. !! a great man amongst men. you have served the revolution well ...

is it me or has there been a sudden rush of completitions after a long drought of let downs?
DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 07:44:44 AM »

Grin.  Definately more completed builds.  Down to more collective experience I suppose.  The satisfaction of finishing is frankly amazing!

Messyhair

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 08:28:53 AM »

Well done sir. Nice to see another working model. Going to start my build in a week or so, the pain of waiting sucks. I bet it feels awesome to customize products for yourself.  Something I plan to show everyone I know.

mess
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 06:10:15 PM »

Nice work! Its like drews Tablets had a baby!

DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 11:56:06 PM »

Just a little update.  Feels rather like "duh!" actually "why didn't I think of that before". I noticed some jittering after finishing my build.  Not much - could do textures and large zbrush sculpts, but it was a pain for fine details.  This jitter was not there when using the tablet on an old athlon xp laptop.  It turns out the problem was the refresh rate.  To fix it, I changed it for the tablet monitor to the maximum possible (75MHz - using the nvidia software).  Now the jitter is all but gone.  Feels really, REALLY good   Grin

Oh, and my 15inch DonTiq is way better (and cheaper) than that 12in wacom nonsense  Tongue

I also realised after skimming through my build log that I hadn't explained my shielding:

Dead strip - loss of sensing on a 1 inch wide strip caused by column driver.  The shielding consists of layers of regular tin foil - 8 to 10 covered in duct tape. This type of shielding fixed the dead strip but had no effect on the jittering .

« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:33:01 AM by DonShole » Logged

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 11:53:17 PM »

Thanks for the info. That's interesting.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: