Bongofish
October 19, 2019, 09:12:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mouse cursor position logging software  (Read 5268 times)
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2012, 03:43:59 PM »

I'm wondering if anybody knows of any software that will log the X and Y coordinates and maybe mouse clicks of the mouse cursor with time in a format that can be imported into a spreadsheet for analysis. I hope to use this information to assess how the horizontal and vertical scan lines of a TFT screen affect the cursor jitter by directly comparing the positional information with the periodic interference signal picked up on the digitizer of the tablet on an oscilloscope. Might not lead to anything but then again it might!

I've tried a few but none I've found will log the data, only display it on-screen.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 06:25:21 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 02:18:34 PM »

I have such a tool.  It catches the hid USB messages.  Look at the waxbee downloads.  I can fix it if it does not recognize your Tablet.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:46:41 PM »

Great, I'll check it out and let you know. Cheers Bernard!
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:00:29 PM »

...and I could modify its output to say, CSV (excel friendly) to fit your purpose if need be.

This will actually be a better tool than looking at the mouse "screen" coordinates since it will return the "tablet" coordinates: thousands of dots per inches of precision (varies depending on tablet).
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:06:19 AM »

Actually Bernard that would be great! If it's not too much trouble of course.

Thanks.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 04:30:43 PM »

I'll see when I have time.  First and foremost, download and try it out. (wacom_hid_dump.zip at https://code.google.com/p/waxbee/downloads/list)   -- You have Windows don't you?  Is it 64 bits?  Which tablet are you going to try it with?  An Intuos 1, 2 or 4 ?  

Just run it and start playing with your tablet.  If it outputs something then we can start talking about the output format, else we can troubleshoot that.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:33:23 PM by bernard » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »

I downloaded wacom_hid_dump-0-1b.zip and tried it on Windows XP 32bit with my bamboo pen&touch and it dumped tonns of stuff. Actually I'm not sure how to intepret the information, looks like Hexidecimal but I'm not sure what each column represents. Just tried it on the bamboo as it was small and close to me at the time (just before I went to work this morning). I'll check it with the I2 when I get home to see if its happy and let you know. Not sure if I'll get a chance to do much else though.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 07:33:59 PM »

Bernard it works fantastically with the Intuos2! And disregard my previous comment about not knowing what the columns represent, it's stated quite clearly on the data dump. For some reason the X and Y coordinates were not shown for the Bamboo hence my confusion. Also don't worry about the CSV adaptation to the code I can import the text into excel perfectly with 'SPACES' as the separation criteria.

Perfect!! Thank you.

Now, why did I want a tool that did this again?? LOL
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 08:51:01 PM »

Ok so I have a bit of a problem. The data dumps the Tx value and Ty value in the first column under the time, this means when I paste import into excel (actually I'm using Open Office Calc), this data means I cannot graph the position with time without first manually moving each entry to a new column at the end and then deleting the row it was on. Given the huge amounts of data, this is just not feasible.
I've tried pasting into notepad and then importing that too, but I get the same issue.

Any suggestions?

FYI, this is a snippet of how it looks:

18:26:39.828 [10]: 02 E0 3F C3 30 59 00 25 CA B0 PEN: p=0, x=16323, y=12377, tx=
075, ty=074, b1=0, b2=0                                                                                                      'This is the problem bit
18:26:39.843 [10]: 02 E0 3F C0 30 5A 00 25 CA B0 PEN: p=0, x=16320, y=12378, tx=
075, ty=074, b1=0, b2=0
18:26:39.843 [10]: 02 E0 3F C1 30 5A 00 25 CA B0 PEN: p=0, x=16321, y=12378, tx=
075, ty=074, b1=0, b2=0
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 08:57:20 PM »

Each tablet can be a bit different, I followed the code found in the wacom Linux driver (open source), but did not put a lot of effort into tablets I did not own or that nobody asked for.  I do not own a Bamboo (I own a Graphire 3 which is the "equivalent" consumer-grade tablet).

You can also look at the pressure value as a different "type of metric". The pressure (like the stylus buttons) is information that is transmitted from the pen. (contrary to the X and Y position which is information deduced by the tablet itself).

-----------

All data is supposed to be in one row and is not supposed to be "wrapping" like you see. This is probably because you did a copy & paste out of the command window(?).  When you run the tool, dump its output to a file instead.  

In a command window, type the command this way:

wacom_hid_dump_0-1b.exe  > dump.txt

You won't see anything since it will all go inside dump.txt.  Hit Ctrl-C when done and open that file.

------------

Alternatively, if you want to see the data "live". Modify the "Properties" of your Command Prompt Window. Go to "Layout" tab and change the Window size and buffer size.  Put at least 200 for the width.  Also modify the font size ("Font" tab) to reduce it so it fits your screen nicely.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:20:47 PM by bernard » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 09:06:26 PM »

If you still cannot extract the data in excel, you can still "massage" the file using tools like "sed". (but this is quite advanced, I guess I would have to provide you some sed script).  

A "simpler" alternative is to use a simple text editor (like Notepad or the much better Notepad++) and do multiple "search and replace" to remove the p= x= and y= and also replace the [ by , so you can use commas and have "clean" numbers and dates.

-------

BTW:  tx and ty values are for "tilt-x and tilt-y" -- this is in "degrees". The b is for "button".
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:25:34 PM by bernard » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 09:25:39 PM »

You were spot on when you said about me having copied from the command window. Your first method was perfect:

In a command window, type the command this way:

wacom_hid_dump_0-1b.exe  > dump.txt

You won't see anything since it will all go inside dump.txt.  Hit Ctrl-C when done and open that file.

Works a treat. Once again, Thank you.

Hopefully this will tell us something we didn't already know about the jitters!
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 10:28:32 PM »

Can't wait to see what you come up with in Open/Libre Office Calc!  Where you thinking of doing graphs?
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 10:49:26 PM »

Well I was thinking of trying to break the jitter problem down into horizontal and vertical components to tackle each part separately. I believe that there is a good chance that there will be some relationship - hidden within all the information we have regarding our panels and tablets - that will guide us towards the optimal screen settings where no jitter exists. But first the data needs to be broken down into more manageable pieces.
And there will be graphs!!

Since you have resolved my 'Heyaaaalpppp' it will be back over to the Serenitiq build log from here out!

Thanks again Bernard!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: