Bongofish
November 22, 2019, 05:31:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: anyone tried this
tried and failed - 0 (0%)
tried and it works - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: newbi with hp touchsmart screen all in one  (Read 2791 times)
Wyndham
New Poster

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »

I have an hp 520 iq touchsmart computer with a dead mb but the 23" screen is good.
My first problem is understanding the vga input to Samsung lcd as well as the PS. This is an all in one system where the MB and LCD are all in one slimline display
It looks as if the video card outputs to a 1 1/2 in female header to the lcd( I don't know the pinouts) and the ps comes from an inverter which power comes from an external 150 watt PS that plugs into the baqck of the "All in one "case.
Has anyone tried to work with this type of monitor.
Is there a way to understand what this type of mod would be?
I hope to hear from someone who has been there, then I'll see if it's reasonable to go forward with the project.
Thanks for any advice.
Wyndham
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 04:53:42 AM »

Pictures please!  For a recent and thin device, this is probably not standard "headers" from the 80s. It it most probably is very close to virtually all the laptops of the same generation out there.  Have you read any of the builds?  Also check our wiki page on LVDS controllers.  http://wiki.bongofish.co.uk/doku.php?id=bongofish:lvdsvendors   LCDs don't have a "VGA" connections, it is known as "LVDS" (which is a bit twisted as a name, the real name is more like Panel Link or variants like theses, They picked "LVDS" because old LCD screens were using "TTL"-based signals which was not as good for higher-frequencies -- LVDS is just a type of "signal" that uses 2 wires per signal).

Did you say 23 inches??  That's quite big for a portable device(!!!)

What is the brand and model number of the LCD Panel -- it is typically a white sticker on the back of the LCD component. With that, we can attempt to find the component datasheet and then you can have more info on how to interface it.
Wyndham
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 05:47:28 PM »

Thank you for the link and reply.
The HP is one of those beast that is an all in one desktop, where the MB is attached behind the lcd screen. This is a poor design because there is insufficient air circulating causing MB failures.
I'm about to dig deeper into the assembly .
I understand that the lcd is a Samsung 1920x1080 23 in (diagonal) but I have yet to learn the model number since it's a hp OEM part.
 I will try to attach a photo and may have additional information on the model #
This is the touchscreen board pix attached with the instruction
"Pull out TS FFCcable ,pull connector cover
completely." these are on the left side

It seems that the vid signal from the onboard graphics card goes to this board that then goes to the LCD
Does this sound correct?
Thanks Wyndham

* touchscreen-board-full.jpg (25.92 KB, 260x149 - viewed 271 times.)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 07:50:27 PM »

This picture is a bit small to understand the shape of the two side connectors.  I think I counted 8 for one, and a little less for the other.  If you can get a more detailled picture it would be nice.  On the other side, I see a connector with very few pins, so this might be for the backlight,  touch or even just plain power.  There is also what looks like a piezo (buzzer) in the middle of the board -- which would imply this is not video -- or if it is, it is not only video.

Are you sure that is the only connection going to the LCD?  There are often more than one connection (but it could very well be all blended into one as well).  LVDS (incl. power) + backlight + touch.

Can you count the number of pins? (looking for connections with a lot of pins) LCD connections are never less than 20.  30 pins or even 40 is typical. I do not see that type of connection on this board. There must be something else going to the LCD!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:53:06 PM by bernard » Logged
Wyndham
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:39:25 PM »

I got the image from the hp dissemble site for this model sorry for the poor quality. I'm going to get into the disassemble myself and hopefully have a better feel for what goes where.
here's the link to that page.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/environment/productdata/Countries/_MultiCountry/disassembly_deskto_20104119335.pdf

It maybe cheaper in the long run just to get a flat screen and tear it down.
I have a soft spot for lost causes and reinventing the wheel  Cheesy
Thanks Wyndham
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 10:09:20 PM »

This site shows the LVDS cable and has the word "LVDS" in the pictures -- also talks about 30P to 40P (probable the LVDS cable)-- this is the video to the LCD.  If you cannot use the MB, you will need a LVDS driver (from NJYTouch) to drive this.  What is the native resolution of this 23 inches?
Wyndham
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 09:26:22 PM »

1920x1080 rez. I'll check the link you gave, Wyndham
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: