Bongofish
November 14, 2019, 04:15:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Faulty Cintiq screen.. Any ideas on a fix?!....  (Read 28712 times)
wchestnutt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 08:30:44 PM »

Hi Everyone..

Hope you all had a nice New year!

interesting point on the wacom I noticed... After 5 days of a broken screen before goign away for NYE, I left the tablet unplugged for 3 days whilst I was away and now I am back after 10 minutes of being on the tablet screen is 100% perfect! If I leave it plugged in but on standby overnight I don't think I will be able to get teh screen to work properly the following day, but if it is totally unplugged from power (boards completely cool down) and then turned on and warmed up it seems to repair itself within 10 minutes and display a perfect image...

Have taken some video footage to document this for future buyers / repair peoples Smiley
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 10:56:52 PM »

I know I've been harping on about it but I'm sticking with power issue. This is typical of a dying filter capacitor causing issues. I don't know how easy it is for you to take the power brick apart, but it might be worth a quick look inside for a big black bulging capacitor. Be careful though as it can hold a lot of charge so try not to touch the circuit board. If you find it is the filter capacitor you can get a new one for about £5 and there's a little guide at the beginning of my build log advising of how to discharge it safely, you might also want to take a look to see what the capacitor will look like (although the image on my build log shows a working cap). Alternatively see if you can get hold of or borrow a working power supply.
wchestnutt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »

Hello,

I can confirm that after leaving it unplugged overnight the screen works perfectly again today after ten minutes Smiley

The capacitors all looked perfect inside the board so will possibly try the power brick and have a look at your blog. I agree with you entirely that the symptoms would indicate this after the research I have done.

I used to have a monitor which would flicker as it warmed up which was a dying capacitor.

will have a poker around when I get the chance, thanks for your time! Smiley
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 03:22:06 PM »

Any news on progress with the Cintiq?
wchestnutt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 12:13:05 PM »

Hello!

well, spent all yesterday setting up my new system ... i7 3770k overclocked to 4.5ghz, 16gb ddr3, gtx680 GPU... running loooooovely!

But in other news the Cintiq seems to slowly be on a road to full recovery via self mending.... Every day I have turned it on so far this week it has taken less time for the blue to go away, and today when it turned on it only had half the normal blue, and disappeared in less than a second!!!!!!!!

Can't believe it really, very exciting but I will wait and see. Won't count my apples until it has had a full month working perfectly Smiley But turning out to be a bargain 21UX, so much so that I may even buy an LX Desk mount arm for it as a treat :p

Best, William.
janm

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 09:41:03 PM »

Thats great news William   Smiley

wchestnutt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 12:56:26 PM »

Oh poo, Last night the blue screen of cintiq death came back, and today after being off all night hasn't repaired itself... Sad I have ordered a new power supply in case it is at fault, and will just hope that it some point decides to work properly again.

I used a test image today and it is still just blue blue channel that is bad... Across the colour chart it looks like a sinus wave type thing of purple lines through all the different shades. ...Sigh...
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 08:49:33 AM »

That's a shame. I'm interested to see how you get on with the new power supply.
wchestnutt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »

Turns out the power supply was out of stock so have been refunded for that and wacom have said to rule out the power supply...

I have now listed it on ebay as I am only using it as a monitor at the moment so may as well see if anyone wants it. I think it is still worth a few quid due to the LCD working and costing £800 to replace and it still potentially being fully usable! also has a new pen (£70). perhaps someone can fix her up.

Starting price is £495 which may seem a bit high but if it is a main video board defect then it totals £850 for for a fully working display is a reasonable price for a 21UX, but then again maybe someone can fix it cheaper / wacom still say it could be anything from a cable defect which is £70 repair. I don't have the expertise to open it up again and try and work out what the fault is, but it is very simple to open had someone want to.

just FYI it is taking around 50 minutes to display a perfect screen which is more like when I first got it. this is after 3 weeks of it taking sometimes only 2 seconds. I have yet to go a day without it fixing itself.

I will post the link tonight when my listing goes live.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like auctioning it is probably for the best. If I had anywhere near the spare cash I would probably be tempted to buy it, but alas I do not.
wchestnutt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 12:16:06 PM »

Update just for the record everyone... Havn't sold the item yet after being messed about a couple of times, But in the meanwhile I have left the wacom switched on for teh past week 24/7 so it stayed workign perfectly, and now it seems that when I turn it off and on overnight it still works perfectly, no Blue screen has been seen for the past week!... So blooming odd.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: