Bongofish
December 10, 2019, 04:17:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Faulty Cintiq screen.. Any ideas on a fix?!....  (Read 28767 times)
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 01:54:41 PM »

From what you have said about the panel and the specs on the Wacom website I am guessing that the panel is likely to be the NL160120BC27-14 by NEC.

21.3" viewable
1600 x 1200 (4:3 aspect)
20ms response time
0.270mm pixel pitch
8bit - 16.77M colours

I this is correct, what's interesting about this panel is that it's a CCFL panel and uses NECs SA-SFT technology which stands for Super Advanced - Super Fine Technology, and not IPS as many have assumed. More informaion can be found here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/speccontent.htm#sft

A point to note in the above article is that it is a technology not usually used in mainstream monitors (typically used in the medical industry), which presumably means that they are hard to get hold of.

A quick browse of ebay showed one 'similar' panel for sale in the US asking $530 less postage for just the panel! Perhaps it is the intended nature of the panel which drives up the cost of the Cintiq.

Of course I may have the wrong panel and so the above may be incorrect, but I have a feeling this is not the case.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:08:54 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
wchestnutt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 02:27:21 PM »

Well done, the screen is in fact a NL160120BC27-19

Uploading photos now....

wchestnutt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 02:32:12 PM »

It seems that you can possibly source them from alibaba... http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/528274386/21_3_NL160120BC27_19E.html

2 year gold supplier so they can be trusted. Maybe worth an email for people interested. I have often negotiated with alibaba suppliers and it has always been a good experience.
wchestnutt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »

PHOTOS::::::::

http://fatherforgets.wordpress.com/2012/12/28/16/

very high res, but poor lighting sorry...
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 02:59:06 PM »

Cheesy Yay! Well that is very interesting indeed. And an alibaba link too which could be very useful if there's enough interest on the forum. I suppose someone would need to test this screen with say and Intuos 2, 3, 4 , or 5 before people would be happy to part with their hard earned cash but it's a marked step forwards in terms of finding a screen which does not cause jitter!

As an alternative there's also the NEC LCD2190UXp monitor which uses a similar SA-SFT screen but at a costly £550 in the UK.

I've had a quick glance at the photos, look good. I will give them a full on study later but I'm just off out.

wchestnutt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 03:09:05 PM »

Awesome glad to help! Smiley

the middle board in the screen is where you plug the DVI cable into... I imagine this is the knackered board if there is one.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 09:22:36 PM »

Any chance of getting a close-up on the circuit boards? A close-up of the top of the capacitors would be great.

How is the Cintiq powered? Does it have a power brick or is it plugged into the mains directly?

I'm starting to suspect a power problem, particularly a capacitor issue. The board I am most interested in closer inspecting is the board that is at the top of the 10th image covered in clear plastic (has a whole bunch of coils on it). 

When you said the problem went away was the screen switched of for a while before you switched it on again, say a few hours maybe more?

Capacitors have a wide range of uses and can cause some peculiar problems due to the nature of how they work. It sounds like you may have one that is on it's way out. This will almost certainly be the case if the problem worsens.

Although not exactly the same problem as yours, here's someone else that has had a very similar issue with a regular LCD monitor and how they went about fixing it. http://blog.dr-ivan.com/2010/10/12/how-to-fix-your-lcd-monitor-changing-capacitors/

Like I said, with a decent close up of the capacitors on all boards I should be able to tell you which if any may need to be replaced. Good news being that if it is a capacitor problem, they're easy to remove and replace (so long as you have access to a soldering iron) and capacitors are dirt cheap too!!

wchestnutt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 12:35:34 AM »

Hello Aerendraca, unfortunately we did check all the capacitors and they looked fine, no liquid or bulges! I was hoping this would have been the problem too as it could have been replaced Sad

I have just found that my power button doesn't work any more (screen is on permanently, and goes into standby when pc is off) so I imagine we missed plugging its wire back in so at some point I will probably take it apart again and will take better photos of each board in daylight Smiley

The times when it has been Perfect have been 5 or 10 minutes after switching it on after it being completely off. I am going to try removing the power for it overnight tonight and see if it will work perfectly tomorrow................

Best, William.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »

I have to say that this still sounds like it could be a power problem. As an alternative thought though, have you tried using a different DVI cable? I notice that you can unplug the connector inside the Cintiq.

How is the Cintiq powered by the way? Is it plugged directly to the mains?

wchestnutt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 08:06:28 PM »

Yeah we swapped out a separate DVI cable and nothing changed so at least we can rule that out. But if anyone has a faulty DVI cable you can fix it yourself for free by just plugging in a new one rather than sending it to wacom for £100 repair!

The wacom has a transformer which plugs into the mains yeah....
janm

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 08:50:05 PM »

Have you any freinds that might have another 21ux?
if so it does not seem that hard to swap out the screen contoller board?
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 09:16:51 PM »

You probably have already, but have you tried to factory reset the screen through the on screen display?

If there is no option in the main menu you can sometimes enter a sub menu by holding the power button for a few seconds. If that doesn't work try holding each of the OSD buttons independently for a few seconds.
wchestnutt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »

Hello

Yeah we tried a factory reset a few times and also a reset from the main board inside the unit.

Not a bad idea changing the board for another one... perhaps I will wait for another one to appear on ebay and buy it and try a swap.. I am the only one I know with one at this moment though.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 12:58:50 AM »

I know that it was discussed earlier that the problem could not be related to the graphics card as your other monitors worked fine, but I have been reading a lot about issues related specifically to the 21UX which for the most part were linked to graphics cards.

I'm wondering if you have the dvi-i to dvi-d adapter plugged in between the graphics card and the dvi cable of the wacom. This adapter should come with the tablet and is designed to strip out the vga signal from the graphics card, if it is not installed the screen forces vga compatibility, maybe the gtx280 has a problem with this? 

It could be that the other screens work fine because they are 6bit as apposed to 8bit - shouldn't be a problem but then again the wacom does use a very high grade panel. Alternatively perhaps they do not have the vga signal confusion that the wacom has, by which I mean that they cannot accept vga signal through the dvi port (and I would think this would be true if the screens have a vga port too).

I know that you said about the screen still having the issue even with the cable unplugged but this could just be a residual memory issue related to the above which would be reset upon receiving a true digital signal.

I think it is definately worth trying to plug it in to a different computer to see if the problem persists, as this would also eliminate vram issues that appear to plague the gtx280 cards (ie onset pink screen of death).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:26:37 AM by Aerendraca » Logged
wchestnutt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 01:26:48 PM »

I did test it on a second computer when I first received it and had the same issue, but am going away for a few days now and will continue further tests when I return home Smiley

Happy new year to everyone and thanks a lot for all the feedback and help, great community here Smiley

Best, William.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: