Bongofish
April 27, 2018, 02:12:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY ModBook Pro with SU-13W02E-03A?  (Read 7537 times)
sanzoghenzo
New Poster

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »

Hi guys, great site and forum!
I landed here because I don't want to give an eye for a new axiotron's modbook...
I'm planning a "big" DIY with a macbook (mine or a cheap one from ebay).
From what I read through this thread I understood it's possible to use the SU-13W02E-03A digitizer in conjunction with a macbook pro 13" just as axiotron does. Correct me if I'm wrong!

So I "only" have to buy:
  • the digitizer from ebay (or anyone here has a spare one?)
  • a proper cable for the digitizer connector
  • a voltage regulator (5->3.3V)
  • a pen that works with the digitizer
Then I have to assemble everything and build a new case, since unibody cases are not suitable for a mod like this (Maybe I can reuse the bottom casing).
Some question before I even start to design and buy things:
  • anyone tried this already?
  • What pen works with the digitizer? I saw the pen compatibility page but it doesn't cover digitizers for tablet pcs
  • Are there some working drivers for osx? Can I use one of the offical drivers?
  • is there something I have to worry about in particular (or in general)?

Thanks for the attention!
Cheers from Italy
sanzoghenzo
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »

I found that any UD pen can work with penabled TabletPC, but that post is a bit old (2007).
Here are compatible pens/boards: PL500, PL600, Cintiq 15X, 17SX, 18SX, PenPartner, Art Z II, Intous 1 and Sony LX900~920
Can I assume this information are right?
sanzoghenzo
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »

Other question: how can I handle screen rotation? I know that SMSrotateD can rotate the display based on the sudden motion sensor included in the mac.
Is there a way to rotate also the digitizer map?
sanzoghenzo
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »

Seems like a discussion to myself Wink

Another question: do the digitizer run on USB or USB 2.0? I'm planning about using some internal usb to hardwire the digitizer, so I don't have to sacrifice an external port.
Keyboard and touchpad uses the PSOC 24794 that has usb1 port on it, but it's directly soldered on the logic board.
maybe sacrificing Bluetooth (USB1) or iSight camera (USB2, bud I'd like to keep it) should work.
I can't find diagrams or schematics for this, so I think I'll wait till the non-working macbook that I got on ebay arrives to do some phisical research Smiley
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 07:27:11 PM »

Pen compatibility: we have a wiki with a link to the Wacom pen compatibility document (wiki.bongofish.co.uk).  Yes, UD (UltrapaD) pens uses the same technology as all the tablet PC (Penenabled) ones -- including Axiotron and most of the mobile (Wacom-based digitizers) devices.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »

Screen Rotation:  No clue about controlling the Wacom rare are those that do that.  Most of the rotations I have seen are for drawing purposes and does not involved "switching" from landscape to portrait. Just the whole thing that rotates freely.

USB: I believe that for most tablets, we are talking USB 2.0 "signaling" -- but "USB 1.1 speeds".  Older USB tablets will use "USB 1.1 signaling".  It depends on the model.  For example, the Teensy (AVR chip) is " USB 2.0 signaling" -- but cannot exceed data rates over the USB 1.1 specs.   But the thing to know here is that it will always work equally with both a USB 1.1 port or USB 2.0 port.

Your list of pen compatibility is wrong:  Intuos is not UD/Penenabled (different technology) -- you cannot interchange their pens.  I do not know about "Sony" -- I assume it uses a standard Penenabled Wacom digitizer.
sanzoghenzo
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »

Thank you Bernard, you made clear out of mud !  Grin
Basically you answered all the questions about the digitizer.
Well, The last question is: which driver should I use for osx?
I cannot find the info on wiki, wacom components or forum pages...
sanzoghenzo
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 12:09:20 AM »

Just to make sure I got it right...

Looking on pchub for some item to buy for the project, I found:
Should they all work well with the board? Which one should I get?
I searched everywhere in italy for a ultra pen or grip pen without much results, so I thought, since I have to buy the cable, to add a stylus. they only have these 3 available now.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 05:22:01 AM »

the last one is penenabled. the other two i am not sure but there is a good chance it is.
damianmr
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 11:10:19 AM »

Hi!
Im trying to make macbook tablet.
Considering su-13w02e-03a... Are there nya drivers under mac os to calibrate the wacom digitizer?

Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: