test1
April 25, 2017, 05:25:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Attempt to repair LCD ribbon with 3M 9703 Tape  (Read 40937 times)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 03:46:04 AM »

Wow!  you are surgeons!  This is great!
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »

Yeah, I've seen conductive glues and paints for sale - expensive stuff for what it is - but this will have to be a more bespoke type of glue where the ratio of glue to metal is likely to be crucial for this type of application.

Silver paint is no good, the stuff is runny and is designed for rigid circuit boards as trace repair, it literally has no shear strength and is no good as an adhesive. The other point to note about silver paint is that you cannot solder to it.

Tiny pieces of copper tape, wow that would take patience beyond patience!! But, it might be possible, maybe silver paint could be used to bridge the contact so that it wont matter that it is not conductive through the adhesive. I have some of this tape, but I'm not sure I could cut small enough pieces, I might try though. Actually rethinking this, I'm not sure that silver paint is thick enought to work as a bridge, hmmmm.

I did try mixing silver paint with Bostik all purpose extra strong glue - it's a rubber based glue. It basically made a conductive rubber ball and lost all adhesive property, kind of cool but completely useless for fixing LCD ribbons.
Chocochan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 06:19:49 PM »

Wow!  you are surgeons!  This is great!

Don't sound so amazed Bernard. It was you who inspired me to try harder when it came electrical stuff! Kiss I really will work a lot more with LEDs this year (I have another project in mind). I'm more into detail and design myself though. Which reminds me, I would attempt making a new cable IF I had access to the original cable (or its complete measurements) AND I could find a cheap source of conductive adhesive tape. I have seen tapes with conductive adhesives on eBay, but they only sell by the roll and they are EXPENSIVE! As for the patience, let's just say I have a lot of it when it comes to detail I've been told I'm apparently I'm good with a blade too. Here's a stencil I did for heat press printing at college...

* SANY0054.JPG (305.61 KB. 1280x720 - viewed 765 times.)

I like to sculpt small figures, so small stuff is no big deal. The reason I suck at soldering is that even the smallest tip I could find is still too big for me! If there was one with a tip like a pin, I would so get it! Maybe someday they'll find a way to get lots of heat through something thinner so I can see better and have more control!

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 09:31:14 PM »

soldering iron: make a fine tip yourself!
AngelHayes
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 12:23:53 PM »

So on my build log I wrote about how impressed I was with the build quality of the AUO M170EG01 panel and that the ribbons looked good and strong, well they weren't! I pulled of one of the ribbons joining the led lights driver circuit to the screen with very little force, much disappointment ensued but I have another one so I will just have to be extra careful with that one.

So I thought to myself 'how can I make the best of this situation?' and decided that after dishing out a suggestion regarding using 3M 9703 tape to extend FFC/FPCs without having tried this stuff (oh and it can be used to extend FFCs, see post "Does DIY Beamer still exists?" in the Help section), perhaps I could use this opportunity to see if this tape can be used to fix LCD ribbons that have been accidently pulled off. Here goes my findings - Spoiler alert it didn't go as planned!  Shocked

Thanks for sharing this vital information.. It will surely help endless needy persons.. Thanks again
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 04:27:53 PM by AngelHayes » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: