Bongofish
December 13, 2019, 01:02:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting LE1600 Tablet PC into a DIY Cintiq  (Read 5794 times)
LuffyZoro
New Poster

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2012, 03:12:07 AM »

I have a Motion Computing LE1600 tablet PC. Unfortunately, the motherboard got fried due to an issue with my power supply. I tried getting a new motherboard, but the same thing happened, so I've pretty much given up on that. However, I really liked being able to draw on screen like I could with it. I figured that there had to be a way to convert it into a DIY Cintiq, after all, I've already got a screen and a digitizer of the same size.

That's where you all come in. I have no idea how I would go about doing that, and most resources on the internet seem focused on converting normal drawing tablets into Cintiqs, not tablet PCs.
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:42:25 PM »

You will have to check the models for the digitizer and LCD module. Tablet PC digitizers are trickier to get working because they usually connect through serial and the pinout for the different connectors aren't fully known.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:10:24 PM »

There are usb variants as well. Check our wiki page. We got around making some to work. Serial ones requires a waxbee, usb ones just a plain usb connection and 3.3v supply. Are you familiar with electronics?
poopipe
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:48:15 PM »

Hello everyone

Apologies if this looks like a highjack with my first post but I have a similar task ahead and some useful numbers to contribute

the digitizer in the le1600 has these numbers written on it...
*su-038-a*
*6by004252*
su-038-a01

the digitizer itself can be found attached to screens from the motion computing and fujitsu lifebook ranges  - part numbers are ht12x21- 230 (or 240). They can be found on ebay for around £60 for refurbed models, new ones are more in the region of £100

personally speaking..
I've just replaced the cracked screen in my LE1600 and  am left with a fully functional spare digitizer - rather than waste it I'd like to attach it to a monitor and plug it into my big fat  PC (win 7)  so i can use it with software that wont run on the le1600 (like cs5 and zbrush)
 - to start with I'd be happy just getting it plugged in via USB and behaving like a tablet- I'll worry about shoving it into a monitor case later on

- perhaps you could give me (us) a rundown of what basic steps/parts are needed for the conversion (or indeed a place to look) so's I can get started on researching the details

thanks

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:56:48 AM by poopipe » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 01:29:34 AM »

Since you are at it, can help us fill our wiki table? Is this a 14 or 10 pin connector? Try to answer all colums as much as you can.

There is no guide to interface this. People had varying degrees of success. If this board is serial, you can use a teensy with waxbee to turn it into usb.  If the tablet is already usb, you only need a way to drop the 5v to 3.3v. On that subject, do you have a zd1 silk marking on the board ? I mean next to an unpopulated part? The theory is that is the 5v to 3.3v converter. It appears to be absent in all boards we've met so far.

The 'pinout' is not documented - throught experimentations we came up with one - but it does not behave the same.

I would say the first thing to do is try to power the board, then, if yours is 14 pins, attempt to hook the usb. Search the forum for details.
poopipe
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 02:03:54 AM »

I can certainly try

it looks like a 14 pin and I dont know what the other thing you said means

I'll post these here so I don't lose them and fill the wiki in when it's not 2am

le1600
http://www.displayalliance.com/storage/1-spec-sheets/HT12X21-230.pdf

fujitsu 4010 (i think)
http://www.displayalliance.com/storage/1-spec-sheets/HT12X21-240.pdf

- why I'm doing it like this when there's three tablets gathering dust in my cupboard I don't know..
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:12:59 AM by poopipe » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:29:21 AM »

Do you have any electronic knowledge yet tools? AFAIK, There are no off-the-shelf parts that can make it work without some sort of soldering, you realize that, right?
fishing13
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 07:22:32 AM »

I have a Motion Computing LE1600 tablet PC. Unfortunately, the motherboard got fried due to an issue with my power supply. I tried getting a new motherboard, but the same thing happened, so I've pretty much given up on that. However, I really liked being able to draw on screen like I could with it. I figured that there had to be a way to convert it into a DIY Cintiq, after all, I've already got a screen and a digitizer of the same size.

That's where you all come in. I have no idea how I would go about doing that, and most resources on the internet seem focused on converting normal drawing tablets into Cintiqs, not tablet PCs.

Same on my tablet, want to convert it to DIY Cintiq. Hope It will be success.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:24:42 PM by fishing13 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: