Bongofish
November 13, 2019, 04:30:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Wacom GD-0912-U vs. Samsng Syncmaster 570P  (Read 15309 times)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »

ok -- the side with a round hole is for grounding.  It seems to have "pads" scattered in a circle around the hole underneath. This is used when there is a screw that comes in and presses the two boards in sandwich making up a good electrical contact.  Probably your board will work even if this is not connected, but I would suggest that you extend that connection. This helps liberate static discharge going on in the screens. And since this is targeted to be a "simtiq", you will be generating much more static with your hand than when the LCD is used as a normal screen that nobody touches.

If the parts at DIY-beamer is really available, then yes this sounds like the way to go. It is not always easy to find a solution to extend those. Can you have a setup where you do not extend the side one?   BTW, you'd want to pick the smallest FFC cable that does the job. Always make paper prototype to measure things (like you already did).  FFC cables can be found from many sites, so pick wisely if you are trying to save a buck or shipping  & handling time.  You can email DIY-beamer, they sometimes respond within a day and other times take *weeks* to respond. No joke.
Agerkvist

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 06:59:54 PM »

The round grounding holes aren't connected, and everything seems to work just fine - I'd prefer having them connected tho if they can reduce static/jitter.

I'll have to test a bit to see if I can make it work without extending the side one, so I won't know until later - perhaps tonight.

Meanwhile I'll try and look for an extension for the side FPC - that really would be excellent if I could find the right parts. I'm asking around and I'll try writing the guys at diy-beamer aswell. And yeah, I hear they can be pretty random at answering emails, but it's not like I have alot of better options at the moment so I'll just have to deal with that Smiley

If I can't find the parts and a build without extending the side FPC is possible, I guess that will be my course of action, but right now I'd prefer just extending that one side FPC.

If I end up having to rotate the wacom, how will I deal with that later? Running software that rotates it to fit the screen?

//Edit - I just checked really fast, and the only way I see it working, without extending the side FPC is rotating the wacom 180 degrees, and then I'll have to extend the two beasts. As stated above I have no clue what implications that will have - or rather, I have no clue how to deal with those implications. The downsides to rotating the wacom are pretty obvious Tongue

I had another builder tell me that he had used FFC connectors that are larger than the FFCs succesfully, so that might be worth a shot if I cant find the 26 pin board I need.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:18:31 PM by Agerkvist » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 12:23:17 PM »

a lot of drivers allow rotating the image 180 degrees.
Agerkvist

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 07:30:30 PM »

Ok - it depends on what kind of tablet you're using?

Did a test today with a piece of cardboard cut to match the size of the wacom - I think rotating it 180 degrees could make it work so that I won't have to extend the side FPC, but just the two orange beasts. I'm still waiting for the diy-beamer guys to get back to me. I still feel that if I could extend just one thing that would be easier, and then I also would'nt have to worry about extending the grounding hole flaps. Which I really have no idea on how to extend.

Like I said, a guy told me that it's possible to use fx. a 30 pin connector for attaching a 26 pin FPC, so this I feel is definately also worth looking into.

I dying to hear what diy-beamer says, cause I just can't wait to see how bad the jitter is once I get some shielding going and start playing with the frequencies. It was far from disastrous when I did my first quick test - with the screen picture side down - but I don't really think I can live with much more than a hint of jitter - then strokes simply won't be nice enough.

Patience is a virtue as this point Smiley

Agerkvist

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 04:46:04 PM »

Bleh, still waiting for the diy beamer guys to get back to me. Think ill write them again tomorrow.
Agerkvist

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 07:01:40 PM »

/sob

Disaster struck a few nights ago. The torn apart LCD panel fell down from its resting place atop the fridge and of course it's now broken.

Fret not, as I have already procured a new IBM monitor to replace it. Let's hope this works out better Smiley

2 monitors in the bin and I still don't have my Simtiq, but I shall not rest until I do!

Oh and the diy beamer guys still haven't replied Tongue

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2013, 02:25:40 AM »

Funeral March music playing...  :'(

Fridge top is the most unstable "stable-looking" place in the house.  Each time you open/close the door, everything moves at the top.  But still... to have a big object like a LCD to fall down, I can't imagine what could have caused this??  Huh    Was it on top of a big magazine pile?  Tongue

Agerkvist

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 06:46:26 PM »

Well....we have a toddler at two and a half, so it's as much about safe as it is about stable Tongue

Not a magazine pile...a soddin' kitchen scale...on top of the fridge...perhaps the most wobbly thing in the ENTIRE house....no idea what the hell I was thinking -_-

Anyway, I'm about to tear this new IBM monitor apart tonight, so eyes ahead and let's not worry about the past.

/eye of the tiger plays as an 80's themed montage of me tearing apart an IBM monitor plays across the screen
Agerkvist

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 07:53:31 PM »

WOOO!

The IBM monitor is in pieces now - and mymy I already feel like I know what I'm doing when taking one apart...maybe because it's my third already Tongue

Anyway, this really looks like a good panel for the project.

It was easy to strip down - there's zero excess material. Just the panel, the protective sheets, prints and the lighting (meh don't know what they're called. The old monitor had two, this one only has one.)

It also has an external power supply, which will hopefully mean less inteference.

And - and this is the big one - it seems I'll only have to extend one small FPC PFC PVC whatever to make thing fit.

I have uploaded a few pictures:

This is the one that needs an extension: http://db.tt/HjypLxK9 - I bet this one is hard to find an extension for?

This one would probably be useful to extend. I reckon it would make putting it all together in a meaning full fashion would prove much easier: http://db.tt/yUuBJ0Zg

Now here's a little bonus question:

When looking closer at the prints inside the monitor I noticed this: http://db.tt/jbyFBa8E

Looks like water or something got into it? It works right now, but could turn in to a problem later?

Hoping someone out there can help me find the stuff needed to do these extensions - you guys have helped me so much already and I really appreciate every single reply I get Smiley

Have a nice weekend all of you.

abeyance

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 08:34:16 PM »

On the right, that looks like a burn from a short caused by the water. This thing still power on?
Agerkvist

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »

It powers on fine. No problems that I can see.

It's not the brightest screen ever, but it works just fine.
abeyance

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 09:35:58 PM »

Sweet. Then I wouldn't worry about it. Smiley
Agerkvist

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 11:19:08 PM »

I'll try not to then Tongue Hah no I reckon it'll be allright.

Any idea on how I'll go about extending that doozy in the first picture I posted? Or the second one for that matter?
abeyance

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2013, 12:37:13 AM »

I do not, good sir. I was fortunate enough to not have to extend anything. Seems I got off rather easily. Tongue But I will do some forum digging and googling to see if I can be a bit more than useless until someone in the know can help.
Agerkvist

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 06:25:18 PM »

Anyone out there with even the slightest idea on how I proceed from here?

I feel kinda stuck right now. The monitor is torn apart, but there's really not much cable to work with so I need to do those extensions somehow.

The diy beamer guys arent replying, so I'm lost. Any help is appreciated Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: