Bongofish
October 23, 2019, 03:24:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Controller issues methinks  (Read 3668 times)
abeyance

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:23:31 AM »

So I have an njytouch controller board and suddenly the DVI port stopped working. I can access the menu system and even see the DVI symbol when I power it on. The VGA port on the other hand works fine. Any ideas? Furthermore, what kind of lesser graphic issues can I expect using just the VGA instead of DVI?

Frank
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 10:27:15 AM »

It's not just something silly like your graphics drivers playing up? I can't think of a reason why DVI doesn't work when the VGA does - at least not a fixable reason. The way I understand it is that the analog signal is converted to digital prior to the LVDS transmission to the TFT screen and at a junction which joins the digital signal from the DVI, so if there is a problem with the DVI it is happening before the LVDS process (if the problem is hardware based).

Alternatively maybe you have a bent pin on the DVI connector?  Huh
abeyance

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 12:18:37 PM »

Ok. I checked multiple DVI cables and got the same result. After trying out my spare LCDs I found that there IS a picture with the DVI it's just VERY faint. I have to tilt the screen to make it out? Any suggestions? I mean even the brightness and contrast controls don't help.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »

Hmm, Curious. Do you have a DVI to VGA adapter? Perhaps you could use this to establish if the fault is at the screen end or the graphics card end. If the DVI out of the graphics card works properly you should see a perfect picture via VGA on the screen, and can therefore infer that it must be a problem with the LVDS controller. If the opposite is true then I would deeper investigate hidden settings in your graphics driver software to see if something has been mistakenly reset.
abeyance

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 05:32:40 PM »

Yes, I have a DVI to VGA adapter. That is how I know the VGA port on the controller works. Before I went to bed I assumed it had to be the inverter board. But as I powered up my computer this morning... the friggen DVI port worked. Not sure if it is a fluke, but I emailed Christine back at Njytouch along with a video demonstrating the problem. And just for grins... I have the  R.RM5451 from there. It comes with the controller, inverter and menu boards.

Hmmm. Actually I do have several inverter boards that came with the laptop which I ripped the monitor out of. It's a four pin while the one from Njytouch is six. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to splice that together if it would work with the controller board...
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »

ask them about the inverter board connections. (and tell us afterwards!) Smiley
abeyance

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 12:10:59 AM »

ask them about the inverter board connections. (and tell us afterwards!) Smiley

What exactly would you like me to ask them about the connections exactly?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 12:20:13 PM »

About the number of connections for the backlight. How to fit with your LCD?  You mentioned: "It's a four pin while the one from Njytouch is six."

abeyance

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 11:42:27 PM »

Okie dokie. I was referring to the connector between the controller board and the inverter. And that it is two extra grounds. Not sure why that is but I did ask. It's probably just a standard connector and using it because it's cheap, but we'll see. So, I can use the inverter from the ibook methinks. Just waiting for the reply email. It usually takes her a couple of days to respond.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: