Bongofish
November 22, 2019, 06:52:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wondering if anyone's tried a Retina display yet?  (Read 3464 times)
Martytoof
New Poster

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2013, 08:11:44 PM »

Found this link on hackaday.com, seems like it's super easy to connect to DisplayPort to boot:

http://hackaday.com/2013/04/22/connect-a-retina-display-to-a-regular-computer/

A bonus seems to be no need for an LVDS driver board.
pntbll248

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:16:33 PM »

Don't think anyone has actually succeeded in a build, but a few have kicked around the idea. Seems reasonable enough, glad to see a source finally cover a conversion, I'm hoping there will be DP to eDP boards or connections available sometime soon. In the meantime, I may try to print out a single sided PCB and follow their tips. Need to get ahold of a panel, but it looks like they're pretty easy to find. Maybe the decreased power draw of eDP will help with interference.

StickyNavels
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:38:58 AM »

Perhaps this isn't the case with the Retina panels for the 'pads, but apparently the new MBP display is one single unit. The aluminum frame and cover is part of the panel itself. I don't know of a way to safely remove the aluminum without breaking the whole panel.

That is, while the panel could be used as an external display, the difficult-if-not-impossible-to-remove aluminum frame makes it a poor candidate for a DIY Cintiq.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: