Bongofish
December 16, 2019, 03:20:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone tried or know anything about this AOC  (Read 3342 times)
ben8763
New Poster

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:15:37 AM »

I'm about to start 2 builds, an 8x5 using a HUION tablet, and a 12x18 using an old Wacom (Intuos 1 I think) looking for suitable monitors for the larger build I've come across the AOC E2462VWH, I'm wondering if anyone has used it and has information on its ability. It's got an external power brick and the I/O is all in the base which I figured was a plus for rearranging.

Even if you haven't used one does anyone have any idea as to whether this would work? I'm kinda keen on it because it's only $150 new from a local store, otherwise I'll have to fork out $230 for a AOC e2243Fw, which I'm less inclined to do.

Also if anyone's got suggestions for other reasonably priced LCDs suitable for this size that would be great

Regards
Ben
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 03:06:57 PM »

Not tried the AOC screen myself, but it's 23.6" viewable is certainly big enough for a 12x18 intuos. I don't think anyone on here has used this screen before so I'm not sure how much advice can be given about it, but I have a few things you might want to consider:

1. Find out what the actual panel inside the monitor is and see if you can find a picture of the back of the panel. The reason I suggest this is to check that there is no circuitry which runs down either side and connects to the main circuit (the TCON). Some screens  which are like this have a ribbon cable which joins the two circuits at 90degrees, and it can be problematic to source a ribbon cable to match which will allow you to extend it so that you can spread the circuits flat.

This is an example of what I mean: http://gica.en.alibaba.com/product/640467206-214407379/12_1_inch_TFT_LCD_Panel_TM121S1SV_02L01.html

2. This looks like it's a TN (Twisted Nematic) panel. Typically TN panels have relatively poor viewing angles compared to VA or IPS based screens. If you plan to have the screen flat to the table when in use then you may want to consider if this is likely to be a problem for you, of course if you plan to have a slightly tilted screen then this may not be an issue.

3. It also looks like this screen is LED backlit. Considerations here are heat dissapation. Those DIY Cintiq builders on the forums which have used LED backlighting all report the same thing which is the large amount of heat produced by WLED backlighting. I think that Sid is the latest builder to report temperatures exceeding 70degrees without an enclosure, so this is a big factor to weigh in. As you probably already know the alternative is CCFL backlighting, which whilst runs cooler comes with its's own issues, one of which is high voltages (typical value 700volts to ~1.5kilovolts). Unless you have a major heart problem a shock from this type of voltage is likely to hurt more than kill you, but it's advisable not to touch the circuitry when it's live as either way is not a pleasant experience.
Another thing about WLED backlighting is that the whole backlight assembly tends to be a bit thinner than CCFL in screens upwards of 19" (from what i've experienced anyway), this'll buy you more headroom in terms of active pen range for things like adding a glass/acrylic/perspex protective layer.

4. External power is a good idea, it should keep any jitter causing noise which may be associated with the power supply away from the digitizer, and also give you more space to play with inside you enclosure.

5. You can probably afford to go a bit smaller than 23.6" which may allow you to get a slightly better screen for the same cost, I think you can get away with 22" with the 12x18 intuos but check this with the Simtiq planner.

Other screens which look similar are the Samsung S24B300HL or Samsung S24B150BL, the Iiyama ProLite X2377HDS (LED backlit IPS monitor), the Viewsonic VA2447-LED, the Acer G236HLBBID, the Zalman TM-230-LED to name a few. Of this lot I would probably favor the Iiyama Prolite but that's just at a glance and because it's IPS (good colours, better viewing angles). This list is not exhaustive as it looks like there is alot of choice in this part of the market, and at the end of the day it's up to you.

Hope this is useful to you.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 03:18:22 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
ben8763
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 03:34:32 PM »

Cheers mate, thanks for all the info.

I know other similar AOC displays are appropriate I figured this one could be close. In the meantime I've purchased a V7 r22w02, the lady I bought the Wacom from has a friend with a lot of surplus monitors, she put me onto him and I grabbed it for $100 bucks, which I'm happy about. For some reason I'm more inclined to tear apart something second hand rather than a new monitor, even if I'd paid the same amount.

So we'll see with this A7, everything arrives in a day or two and then I start my build!

Sounds like I've got a lot to think about with any LCD
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 05:04:24 PM »

Glad you found it helpful. I'm of the same opinion by the way, it definitely seems easier to to mess about with a second hand screen even if the cost is the same as a new one, weird. Perhaps it's because you know you get extras with a new screen like warranty which you instantly void the minute you take a screwdriver to it.

I'm having a bit of a guess here but I would think that the panel in this screen will be by Chi Mei Optoelectronics aka Innolux and may well be the M220Z1-L02. Could be wrong though. Here's some info on this panel in case I'm not: http://www.panelook.com/M220Z1-L02_Innolux_22.0_LCM_parameter_1897.html
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: