test1
July 24, 2017, 03:42:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: CabinetiQ  (Read 8879 times)
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 10:53:33 AM »

I verified that you are right... it appears that the help file in HIDMacros is somewhat outdated...

in it, the F keys arrive just to 16, and there is no mention  of the various NUMkeys.

With this, I can probably have all the intended shortcuts to work, though ...

It migh prompt me to buy another couple of mouses and whip up some more knobs...

"Cool your head, young padawan -  you must sketch your next tool, before stripping these poor mouses of their beloved wheels"

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 02:16:53 PM »

Knobs: Do you mean to use the mouse wheels? 

I am impressed by all the controls and buttons you are putting around your tablet !!  You must be crazy productive!
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »

Not that much, mostly because I'm stll spending too much time deciding where to put things... but I have experienced some bad moments, as I didn't really thought enough to ergonomy (well, I do not know anything of that stuff) when I made the initial design choices, so I  have become a little sensitive to that.

Initially, I had placed the keyboard on the desk, at left side of the CabinetiQ, and ended up drawing with a wild height difference between the two hands. Result: my back ached.

Then, I thought what could have been the possible solutions to that, and came out with the height adjustable "moloch" rack. Better, but still not perfect... drawing worked fine, but I stressed the elbow a little too much, and a day that I draw a couple of hours too much (well, that and a certain moment of idiocy of mines), my elbow literally killed me. For three days. So, I had to tweak that again

Also, odd as it may seem, I now have an odd "daily" jiitter.

It has "appeared" some time ago... it comes and go, following the local electric grid "spikeness" (or something alike - I remember the impression when I tried to connect the  on the Cabinetiq to the ground, and its jitter increased tenfold... one doesn't really expect that).

Some days, it's almost nothing; others I have to jump up Lazynezumi to compensate (hint: when I assembled theC'iQ, it was sunny with no wind. Now it's a storm after the other and wind all the day).

Spanish houses' electric systems are really crap - and I mean, they are crap by the Italian standards of ten years ago, when I used to work there as a mason, and all the eolic generators around here makes the electric grid even more cahotic than it needs to be (Alternative Energies, my ass!).

A surge-protected socket, battery operated SAI everywhere (for my TVset, too), and svoltage spikes have still burnt a power brick, a motherboard, one router and three cooling fans this year - and let's forget the horror tales of my friends from Santiago, with roads where electricity comes and go, seamingly, with the tide...

This being the "genius loci", I will keep my Moon-dicated jitter and learn to live with it.

But to have all this commands does lift off a lot of small hassles... also, with {numplus} I can  finally use the workaround to have changhe the layer I am working on, so I can leave the layers panel on the big secondary screen (with that, and all the layer managements shortcuts..) and be able to draw on the full screen.

Only, it is maybe time to take a moment to think well at what I really need, and how to build it...

Brush size on the Intuos touch ring, zoom on the knob at his side, below, are a given;

For the layer selection, use two key on the keyboards, or the wheel of the second mouse? With the system keyboard layout set at en-us, will finally be the brush hardness settings work?

Make an investment, buy another mouse, and put together a block with three weels and nine auxliary buttons?  But, where? Replace the "touchpad/numpad" with a rigid numeric pad?

Decisions, decisions, decisions...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:49:29 PM by DaBotz » Logged

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 04:24:05 PM »

I tried to connect the  on the Cabinetiq to the ground, and its jitter increased tenfold

Jitter: Not sure if that was electrical grounding? Proper electrical "grounding" can help, but if you connect to a non-ground that can get worse.  Of course if you are sitting on an electrical craziness, it will be difficult -- and sometimes "floating" is a better (only) choice.  Maybe you can try to put ferrite cores around your wires -- with 3 or 4 turns to enhance its effectiveness. Put it really depends on the type of "noise" you are getting. Wacom is sensitive to certain frequencies for which some ferrites could help. If you have cables laying around with those, try to take it apart and put it on your cables.  Also try to keep the power and ground close "together" -- even better as a "twisted pair" -- so they electrically "float" together along the cable (so the voltage difference between them is more stable).

Good luck!
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:43 PM »

I have made some head up with my "ghost jitter" problems, and realized I was probably getting some things wrong.

When I first mounted the Cabinetiq, it had almost no Jitter.

But the power adapter I used was fried - ever since I took it out of the box; the last time I buy Chinese stuff in UK - connecting it to the grid led to the differential breaker to cut electricity in the flat.

It leaked directly to the "Earth" , so it could be used only by disconnecting that pole... then, I tried changing the the F-type plug on its chord with a C type, and fried it completely (probably, I discharged explosively the noise filter capacitor when I cut the cable and, silly me, I did not unhook it from the power brick).

I replaced the power brick, and went merrily along. I didn't realize that the jitter had augmented, nor that it was possibly connected to the power adapter change.

Also, the jitter was augmenting over time... I thought it was because of my overly complex USB set-up, but I got too much used to all the supplementary "hotkeys" and the zoom wheel separated from the brush size wheel (the Intuos4 touch ring) to give it up.

I was getting frustrated and started looking into buy one of those new Monoprice tablet monitors... luckily, they are out of stock.

Then, these last few days there have been some bad storms around here, so I didn't dare to switch my computer on. I used the time to rewire the "zoom wheel", eliminating around sixty cm of unnecessary cables, adding a second "wheel" and placing all of these (and the other buttons associated to the mouses I used as "wheel sources") in a single wood case. Then, I have placed the USB concentrator that I use for the auxiliary input devices below the numeric pad I use for tools selections.
Before it was residing on the desk, somewhere 12 cm below the screen.

Finally, a couple of days ago, in a sunny afternoon I switched my PC on, just a moment to watch my emails, and something crawled through the grid and fried the screen power brick. I had one lying around, so it was not big deal.

Also, I decided to rip the carcasses of the two dead power bricks of theirs' transformer's ferrite nuclei, and use the two of them as common mode reject filters,
like this

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

One for the power connection, the other for the USB line to the PC.

What is now annoying is that I do not know if it has been the USB rewiring, or the new power brick, that have almost completely eliminated the jigger!

I'm pretty sure it is a power brick thing, as I have tried plenty of time to exclude all extra USB stuff  and failed to reduce the jitter by any significant degree (as an aside, what I did observe was that jitter went up to eleven if there was any kind of heavy-duty hard-disc operation, like an anti-virus scansion or a massive copy).

There is still some "waves" drawing 45ยบ lines ( a bit like in the Huion tablet that I use on my laptop) , but they are "topographical" (small distortion in the way the table sees positions), not the random noise that was there before.

I can  fix a ruler on the screen, draw over and again the same line, and the line on the screen does come out the same, each time!

Finally, right now I have more hotkeys than I can really use, and a wheel too much too, but all works perfectly, so I will keep it like this.

The actual aspect of the machine is this,

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]           [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I made a video of the thing at work,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1ETuXrztTk

I hope you'll enjoy (if you can withstand my English; beware, it's going to be tough).

Thanks for everything.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:51:42 PM by DaBotz » Logged

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 08:44:57 AM »

Excellent video, and great news about solving your jitters.

You certainly have a whole bunch of hotkeys there. For the 2nd wheel what about canvas rotation, or brush size, alternatively you could use it to rotate through your brushes.

DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 10:18:54 PM »

The third wheel is hooked to change brush, now. It works almost well, but my Photoshop seems to object at the "previous brush type" shortcut, whereas Mangastudio and, of course, GIMP does not.

Mangastudio refuse to see the brush size commands from the Wacom driver, though... pretty annoying.

Should I switch the zoom with the brush on the wheels? Huh Misterium fides.

DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 12:36:14 PM »

Update on CabinetiQ... I still have it lying around, attached to a PC with Windows XP sp2. I can't get to install lazy nezumi on it, and so I have discovered that it may have almost no random jitter, but UBiQ is still twice more usable than it.

A somewhat jiittery build with a scalable on the fly LazyNezumi set-up (just another knob)  is way better for drawing, even just line art.

On the other hand, I am probably just too finicky.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: