Bongofish
December 13, 2019, 01:03:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help getting converted tablet working.  (Read 7573 times)
jonnyl
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 10:02:57 PM »

Hi thanks for your reply.

Because I have no HID traffic at all it would indicate a wiring fault, a teensy fault or the tablet is dead.

I have tried two tablets and been over the wiring so many times, so I dont think it is the tablet or wiring.
Although the teensy programs OK and I have tried various firmware and settings  baud rates etc, I still get nothing.

My last guess is the teensy is faulty or counterfeit.  Interestingly, the board layout is a little different from the pics so .....
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 08:08:19 AM »

Which Teensy version are you using? I believe it should be the Teensy 2.0, the 2.0+, 3.0, and 3.0+ may need code modification to get them working - this could be something as small as pin reassignment. If it's a copy then once again you may have some variation that you might need to code out, but if it truly is a copy then I doubt this is the case.

I would suggest that the tablet works fine if you're seeing the indication light changing to green.

Perhaps you could post some pictures of what you have done so far?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:28:53 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 09:02:51 PM »

I got you're email with the pictures (which I'll attach to this thread with your permission), and I would have to agree that it appears your wiring looks OK to me. There was one thing that I couldn't see properly in you photos and that was if you had cut the leg of the 7805 chip as per Bernards instructions.

Other than that I would suggest that something is not working properly with the Teensy. Maybe you could try modifying the blinky program to flash an external LED from each of the Rx and Tx pins of the Teensy just to check that there is no poorly soldered joints and that these pins are working as expected. With all the above checked and tested we can be confident that the hardware side of things is setup perfectly, so we'll have to take a closer look at the software side; I have some experience with coding so we should be able to debug the issues if need be.
jonnyl3
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 04:20:21 PM »

Hi,  Thanks for checking the wiring, yes, post the pics if you like ( no prizes for the soldering!)  Yes the leg was cut and there is power to the tablet.

I will try leds and let you know....
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 11:28:37 PM »

As per previous comments, here's the pictures I received from jonnyl3 regarding his problem:

* P1040933.jpg (88.5 KB. 640x360 - viewed 227 times.)

* P1040934.jpg (105.45 KB. 640x360 - viewed 229 times.)

* P1040935.jpg (102.29 KB. 640x360 - viewed 237 times.)

* P1040936.jpg (98.48 KB. 640x360 - viewed 246 times.)

jonnyl3
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 11:12:17 AM »

Hi,

Really sorry but I think this programing business is beyond me....  you make "modify the blinky program" sound easy  Smiley 

I checked the TX output from the tablet and there is no traffic when the pen is placed on the surface.

At this stage, I suspect that the tablet has died, I should have checked it just before trying the mod.  The last time it was working was a few years ago.  Not to worry, it was worth a try!

Thanks again
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 04:36:47 PM »

I don't think there should be any traffic on Tx since the tablet needs to perform a handshake with the Teensy before it will start communicating; I doubt that your tablet is dead by the way, they're far too well built!

I tell you what here's a simple blink code that should flash the on board LED, and pins D2 and D3 (you could use a multimeter to check that these pins are flashing - one wire to D2 or D3 the other to ground):

Copy everything below into you're IDE of choice and blow it to the chip:

/*
  Blink
  Turns the Teensy LED, an LED on pin 7, and an LED on pin 8 'ON' for one second, then 'OFF' for one second, repeatedly.

This example code is in the public domain.
 */

// Pin 11 has the LED on Teensy 2.0
// Pins 7 and 8 have been included to test that the Tx and Rx pins are working correctly.

// give it a name:
int Teensy_led = 11;
int D2_led = 7;
int D3_led = 8;

// the setup routine runs once when you press reset:
void setup() {               
  // initialize the digital pin as an output.
  pinMode(Teensy_led, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(D2_led, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(D3_led, OUTPUT); 
}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(Teensy_led, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  digitalWrite(D2_led, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  digitalWrite(D3_led, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  delay(1000);               // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(Teensy_led, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  digitalWrite(D2_led, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  digitalWrite(D3_led, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  delay(1000);               // wait for a second
}
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 04:39:02 PM »

A quick point about the above, if you do use LEDs on pins 7(D2) and 8(D3) don't forget to use a resistor - a sensible value is 200ohms but anything up to about 1Kohm should be fine.
jonnyl3
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 10:15:56 PM »

That took a bit of thinking, thanks for pushing me.
I can confirm that we are getting an output on d2 and d3 in time with the flashing LED so the teensy is working.

* wacom.jpg (399.28 KB. 1280x960 - viewed 231 times.)

jonnyl3
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 10:17:14 PM »

I'm sure thats not helping......
jonnyl3
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 09:52:08 AM »

can anyone help with a very simple program that checks that the tablet is active?  maybe flashing the led on traffic?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: