test1
September 19, 2017, 09:40:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiling Digitizers?  (Read 3691 times)
MikeyN
New Poster

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2013, 01:42:11 PM »

Hey Guys,

I was just thinking, and wondered if anyone had tried it at all...

Basically would there be a way of tiling, say 4 Wacom Digitizers together, then mapping your input and screen into four sections thus each one of the digitizers would be controlling a 1/4 of the screen at a time?...

Just a oddball idea but if it would work you could use a Large screen TV as your workspace... *drools*
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »

Well, some thought would be required to achieve a "unified" device and dealing with physical boundaries.  The biggest issue I see is to make crossing a tablet "seamless".  Especially if you want high precision.  Typically on a huge screen you do not require high precision, but it really depends on your application.  There is a difference between clicking menus and Art drawing.

If there is some hope it would be using the thin and borderless Wacom digitizers found in laptops and tablets.  One area to check is if we could maybe overlap the edges(?). If that can work ("multiple digitizers in proximity") it would be feasible.  I suspect the digitizers will interfere with each other. I think some of the techniques used to detect the pen is using a form of "reflection" of signals. Maybe the digitizers could think it is seeing a reflection but in reality it is a signal generated from the other digitizer.  (That's Pure Speculation. We wouldn't know until we try it).  One way to test is to connect 2 digitizers to *different* computers and see if you can make the mouse move on both computers simultaneously and consistently.

Then, it would be a matter of "merging" the device into a single device. One potential solution: WaxBee can already deal with a single (serial-based) digitizer and emulate a USB one.  Maybe if we use 4 WaxBee (Teensy) and find some way to connect 3 of them into the fourth one "master one" that would do the trick.  Or maybe have 5 teensies (1 per tablet + 1 master for USB emulation).   If the tablets are USB instead of serial, I know someone found a way to interact with it with a Teensy. There are other options of course not involving a Teensy!
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 03:37:20 PM »

Even with digitizers for tablet-PCs, does their active areas reach the borders, or are they sized on the relative LCD active area, leaving out an half cm on each side?

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
thatcomicsguy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 11:11:58 PM »

Tried it.

Two Tecra ME screens with their active digitizers.

There needs to be a couple of inches between them or the screens interfere with each other.  The cursor freezes, and you have to pull the stylus away and bring it back in to get cursor/stylus pairing again.  It only happens when using the stylus in proximity to the second digitizer base.

I think what is happening is that the stylus is activated by the two different screens, each with its own expectations, and each trying to gain control over the cursor and each sending Windows conflicting reports as to where the cursor should be.

The problem goes away when you separate the two screens by an inch or so.  -So.., not so good for tiling.

It's a cool idea, though, which is why I tried it in the first place.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 12:16:37 PM »

Yes, I can also confirm that I have tried this some time ago with 2x Intuos 2 A4 Oversize tablets and received the same positional 'confusion' that thatcomicsguy reports. Someone that was an expert in software programming and electronics could probably come up with some system of disabling one tablet when the 2nd is approaching proximity and vice versa, however I imagine this to be quite a complex thing to achieve - probably requiring some positional tracking - and is outside of the scope of my knowledge.
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 07:31:24 PM »

Therefore, there is no easy way to go beyond the 22" allowed by the Intuos XL...

for once, my hubris will have to stay put.

Wait, they made the Ultrapad A2...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:39:42 PM by DaBotz » Logged

DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 01:08:46 PM »

By the way, how much @intelligence@ is there in, say, an Intuos2 sensors board_ Would it be possible to scan its tracks, reverse engineering the connection patterns, and have it printed in a larger format?

The spatial resolution would be less, of course (the total resolution would be the same)... yet, I wonder if it could be, at all, possible.

XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 06:00:52 PM »

It's Probably not possible because you would change the resonance frequency (it's basically a large antenna)...

-Jakob
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 10:50:23 AM »

Hmmm... adding a loading capacitor to each antenna loop, to shorten its electrical length?

As the antennas have a length way below the 1/2 of the wavelength required by "natural" antennas (at 666 Khz, some 450 mt), they have must be "electrically lengthened" to a quarter of the wavelength (225 mt) by adding an inductance.

Things are already getting too complicated, I fear.

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 11:35:49 AM »

Actually in principle that method could work, like you said you could shorten the electrical length to get this working over a larger scale albeit with a number of capacitors required, and the calculations would only require being done once since they duplicate over each antenna however, there are more issues than just get it working electrically. I would imagine that the software algorithm that calculates position would also require tweaking since a weaker signal would be received on fewer antennae due to the increased distance between antennae - remember the signal reduces by roughly 1/r^2. Another aspect caused by the increase to the separation of the antenna grid-lines might be blind spots, this could be a factor resulting from the fact that the induction coil of the pen is not being changed to compensate for the change to the digitizer. And my final thought is that making such a large circuit is likely not to be very cost effective, which is why large screen that use pen technology tend not to use this method. With that said though I suppose you could manufacture one from thin strips of self adhesive copper but that's probably a lot of copper and may also be quite expensive.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:37:22 AM by Aerendraca » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: