Bongofish
November 15, 2019, 06:36:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Way Back Drawing Machine..  (Read 14438 times)
woodguy32

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2013, 04:52:56 AM »

Hello Bongofish People..

Sorry, I been meaning to post the build a while back now..  You see with life you never know what comes up..with my second cancer battle has been keeping me away.. first round was stage 4 and with some 30 chemos and radiation sessions I still kicking..lol  But builds like this keep me going..

Now .. The story of the way back drawing machine..

First a timeline.. lets go to B.C. years..  ah.. Before Computers  .. yes, lets go way back.. there was a machine that all illustrators and graphic artist lusted for..it was expensive.. it was big.. The Lucigraph  otherwise affectionally called The Lucy..  what it did was enlarger a photo or art to the any size and you would trace the image on paper..  Mine went thru years of use.. then the computer came along.. so my old Lucy was converted to a copy camera for my Screen Printing biz and worked awesome for that purpose of burning film..

So it was time to destroy the old girl..But that is how the story begins...

woodguy32

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 05:09:40 AM »

I been in the graphic biz for so long and seen the incredible change in the Art world.. The biggest leap was the computer.. typesetting .. rubber cement  where a thing of the past..  But there was still the missing LINK for the artist.. getting to draw on that Screen.. it has always been awkward drawing on a tablet..

But now today , because of Bongofish I am drawing on the directly on the screen and having a blast.. Artwork,animation.. even directly on video..WOW..

a little about my self.. besides being an Art Guy.. I love to build stuff.. I built Hot Rod woodies for many years and was very well know in the hot rod industry.. even toy Mattel hot wheels where made of cars I built..

But it came to a screeching stop when an 80 year old driver destroyed my right hand, lost the ability to draw..and stopped the hot rod thing..

Months in the healing I found out I had Stage 4 cancer and almost didnt make it..but I kept fighting.. and was in remission for a few months and got hit a second time where I am now..

woodguy32

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 05:16:38 AM »

Since I been going thru all this C stuff< I still loved the build and just downsized the size.. I started building these odd Old Time Computer stuff  ..http://oldtimecomputer.com  fun crazy stuff.. Docks for idevices..

So it is only natural to build a Way Back drawing machine..
woodguy32

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 05:37:59 AM »

The way back drawing machine..

I am simple amazed at the builds on Bongofish..  and how you all fit all these parts and pieces into small portable working units.. I guess I when in the other direction..giving me a ton of room and a very simple build..

This build starts with a Lucy .. a 75 year old drawing board which my dad used.. He is one of the most outstanding Cartoonist I ever seen and may give him this drawing board.. and came up with the ultimate drawing board..

the build starts like most.. experimenting with stuff you have laying around, had a broken monitor that sort of worked and ripped it apart.. I also wanted the largest format possible  picked up an 18x12 Wacom II on the bay really cheap..  what a mess but it worked.. haha

So I purchased a new Acer V223w 22' LED monitor super cheap..not the best choice but I didnt want to break an expensive unit..there where some trickiness to the LED cable but that was it..

Unit fired up and running.. and Jitter was minimal on the LED edge..  but it is a big screen drawing surface.. WOW..

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:22:26 AM by woodguy32 » Logged
woodguy32

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 05:52:28 AM »

Now it needs to all get mounted into the drawing board..  an easy deal really.. I took the old Goodkin Lucy top.. it was already cut even had glass and used it as the table top..and you never believe the whole Wacom and monitor fit.. haha  So the historic Lucigraph goes High Tech and looking good..  built a platform for the Wacom that is adjustable to the glass height..and mounted it to the drawing board base.. Some Paint and there ya go.. a Fully Adjustable tilting and Height ....Wayback Drawing Machine..

My Kids and I are having a blast on this thing..and everyone.. artist especially their jaws drop when they draw on it..

I like to thank all of you on Bongofish for helping and inspiring me on the build.. And yes a Bigger and Better unit is in the works.. it is going to be wild.. a full sight and sound experince.. haha  

Thanks Woodguy32

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:49:49 PM by woodguy32 » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 08:28:37 AM »

Wow, excellent build, and huge! I love the reuse of the Lucy, it almost seems that it was made to someday take on a Cintiq like character.

I think I've seen that steampunk computer somewhere before? Hmm, oh it reminds me of the computer in that scifi show Warehouse 13. Once again, excellent workmanship, i think id quite like to make one of these at some point.

And the hot rods are super cool too, you are one talented fella, they're all true works of art and i don't mind saying that in just a bit in awe.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, sounds like a heck of alot you've had to deal with and a damn good fight you're putting up. I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 04:33:25 PM »

Great builds, great art, great battle. Really, I am speechless in front of all this. Hats off. Live long and prosper.
JaseBristol
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 11:15:52 PM »

Great build!
I'm also building an 12x18" intuos2 with 22", so might be asking for some help with calibrating the pen soon!
Love the recycling,
Fancy a smaller version next?
woodguy32

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 05:50:30 PM »

Thanks Everyone in checking out this odd build...

I will have the wayback drawing machine with a bunch of other odd working computer builds at the Maker Faire, So anyone can sit down and draw on this and see how cool it works.. maybe the newer larger touch screen version 2.0 there also..

http://cincinnatimakerfaire.com/2013/08/24/spread-the-news-to-the-news/

Thanks Woodguy32
woodguy32

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 04:24:48 PM »

The Wayback Drawing Machine ..This was the first time this stuff was in a public setting at the Maker Faire, and was the Big Hit of the show.. I think I freaked out quite a few artist with the drawing board...Well the Bluetooth Horns and other stuff did also...

Version 2.0 is in the works.. Larger and crazier drawing machine... anybody out there used a 27" or bigger LED touchscreen?

Thanks Woodguy32

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »

is that you with the blurred face?  Smiley
woodguy32

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 04:32:46 PM »

Nope.. Just one of the many Art types that totally freaked out about the machine..it was great to watch their jaw drop not believing what the machine does and how responsive it is..

Thanks Bernard... you will be getting quite a few new members.. lol
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:35:23 PM by woodguy32 » Logged
Ryanwc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »

Wow that machine you build is a beast. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your 2.0 version. Will you be using an ips led panel?
erikh
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »

I am stunned by your craftsmanship. Wow.
Edit: Did you keep the large bellows? Would make a great start to a large format camera build.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:09:49 PM by erikh » Logged
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »

It is a very beautiful build... my compliments.

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: