test1
June 25, 2017, 08:09:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intuos 4 Large mod  (Read 5909 times)
alkis
New Poster

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2013, 12:34:37 AM »

Hi all
I have been planning to make a DIY Cintiq for quite some time and draw a lot of inspiration from this forum. So I would like to post my 99% complete tablet.

The tablet consists of 3mm acrylic sheets bonded with acetone, which houses the PCBs from a Wacom Intuos 4 Large and an LG LP154WE2 screen.
The screen originally was using a CCFL tube which made the bottom half of the table unusable because of random clicks and jitter. So I replaced it with an LED strip which seems to have solved the jittering problem. The LVDS controller is housed at the back on a shield compartment.

The tablet is fully functional but during my DIY I heavily scratched the top protective acrylic layer so I am currently holding it with tape until the laser cutting shop deliver me a new one.

More photos are available here:
http://www.industrialdesignstudio.co.uk/blog/diy-cintiq

During this project I found a bit difficult sourcing a reasonably priced controller and a purposely build LED strip for laptop screens, so I thought I should share my suppliers too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVI-VGA-Control-board-15-4inch-1680-1050-LP154W02-B154SW01-N154Z1-Lcd-panel-/170949082812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cd5bfebc

http://www.xccfl.com/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=4489
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 01:20:35 AM »

Wow!  Can I ask how much you paid for the different parts?

Laser cut pieces!  In what material is this and what is the thickness of each slice (2.5mm)?  It is cool to see all the slices building a complex 3D shape with cavities.

Do you think you would be willing to share the files for others to use?
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:37:10 AM »

And from nowhere comes another brilliant build!! Nice work Alkis, looks pretty nice, aside from the plexiglass issue, are you happy with the build?

Any tips for other builders?
alkis
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:29:46 AM »

Hi Bernard

Laser cutting those parts cost me £120 including Vat, screen and controller was $159.00 and LED strip with its driver $18.00. I can also add about £100-150 for couriers, screws, 12V power supply and other bits like sandpaper and glue. So in total a bit more than £320.00.

The first slice of my assembly is a 2mm thick clear acrylic. This is moulded acrylic which is more rigid than the cheaper extruded sheet. All flat screens when pressed create distortion marks around the pressure point, but the one I am using seems to be too sensitive so I wanted to protect it. The other layers are black 3mm acrylic sheets.

If any one is interested the files are at:
PDF
www.industrialdesignstudio.co.uk/index.php/download_file/view/306/
www.industrialdesignstudio.co.uk/index.php/download_file/view/307/
www.industrialdesignstudio.co.uk/index.php/download_file/view/308/
DXF
www.industrialdesignstudio.co.uk/index.php/download_file/view/309/
www.industrialdesignstudio.co.uk/index.php/download_file/view/310/
www.industrialdesignstudio.co.uk/index.php/download_file/view/311/

Note though that this design uses 4mm sheets for the base (which my local laser shop didn't have) and it was designed for the hardware I intended to use. So please use it as reference only

During the process I changed the inverter so I had to dremmel the plastic and the lesson here is to gather all the components first and make sure they work before design the housing.

Wacom Intuos PCB has a white outline around the active area so I removed any metallic parts from the back of my screen directly above it. However the electromagnetic field detecting the pen is also generated a few mm outside of this marked area and the CCFL was siting over it. So the first time I tested all the parts together I couldn't use the bottom half of my screen. I then masked the surrounding of the active area with aluminium tape but the pen would no longer work in the bottom 10mm of the screen.

The problem was simply eradicated by using a 12V LED strip so there is also no need to shield its inverter. The best tip I have to offer is go for an LED screen.

Aerendrace:
I am happy with build and it works perfectly with virtually no jitter. On the other hand if you add the cost of the Intuos4, which I bough when it first came out in the market, my materials and a failed attempt to mill the enclosure from a big block of plastic I spend £900. You can get a Cintiq 13HD with that amount, so........ the build make no sense unless you are a DIY addict like me  Smiley
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 05:19:37 PM »

I agree entirely, I'm a DIY addict also and have at least one project on the go at all times. Some great tips and warning there too, very useful for new DIY Cintiq builders. Great job!
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »

My sincerest compliments... your build is gorgeous! (Even though, laser cutting is pretty high-end for my taste and status)

I feel envious...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:50:17 PM by DaBotz » Logged

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: