test1
August 21, 2017, 02:51:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kinda related. - Asda offer 3D scanning/printing service  (Read 8184 times)
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »

Hello there, I'm still about even though I don't have anything sensible to say most of the time. Some fantastic builds going on.

Anyhow, for those of us in the UK this is a sign of the times:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/124240-asda-offers-3d-printing-first-uk-store-to-launch-service-at-a-supermarket-near-you

From the video they seem to be using zbrush as a platform to bolt the bits together, which makes sense I guess, easyish to write plugins for and can handle bazillions of polys, (of course that may be just marketing guys putting a vid together without knowing what they're filming).

It's not cheap, and there are some questions I have, 1) Is it cheaper for a second  print without a scan? 2) Can I just turn up with a 3d object file on a memory stick and get it printed?

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 06:59:53 AM »

Amazing! ! !

Imagine the possibilities. As one person has commented on that site, imagine if they offered prototyping from CAD files, £40 would be a steal.

Not sure i'd really want a mini figurine of me though, bit weird, especially having got it at ASDA.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 03:47:39 PM »

According to something I read on the site they can scan something up to the size of a "small car". I guess you'd need an appointment for that Smiley
The biggest print is approximately an 8" (200mm) cube.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: