Bongofish
December 12, 2019, 05:46:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Calibration and Mapping Challenge  (Read 1997 times)
JaseBristol
New Poster

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2013, 05:50:31 PM »

Hi guys,

Coming to the end of my build & the last final steps seem to be too challenging for me, so asking for help.

I have used an Intuos 2 A3 ( XD-1218U-D)  and a LG 22 Inch HD IPS Monitor (21.5") (1920 x 1080 pixels)
Picture of set up so far:

I have used masking tape as locators to see how much the cross hairs move when I type in different coordinates.

I have been reading past articles and understand:

Reducing the bottom right coordinates moves the cursor to the left
Increase the top left coordinates lowers the cursor.

But this is where I seem to get stuck,
should I expect drift the further out I go from the center?

how can I calculate these coordinates more accurately?
any help would be greatly appreciated.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 03:28:37 AM »

First and foremost, always turn off "force proportions". This is doing some additional remapping that is difficult to predict.

Drift?  Of course!  You are essentially mapping each sides separately, it can be aligned perfectly in one place and not aligned on the other side.  Normally this is linear, so if both sides are aligned, then the center should be aligned as well. I believe it is just that you didn't align it correctly. After you turn off force proportion, the X and Y won't interfere anymore.  So should focus on one axis at a time, not a "corner", but one "side" at a time.

Those counts are often in 0.01 mm steps but that might not help you very much.  The mapping depends on the angle you are working since there is always a small space between your pen tip and the actual image on the LCD.

Here's one way to do this:  (turn off force proportion first). Start with "Left" first:  Along the whole left edge (almost touching it), check if the mouse is aligned HORIZONTALLY ONLY (do not get distracted by the vertical misalignment). Change the count, see it's effect, iterate until you have good alignment on that edge only.   Then proceed with the right edge (horizontal only).  When done, check the Top (Vertical alignment) and finally the Bottom edge.   In theory, the center should be aligned if the edges are.  (At all times, always look from the same angle that you will be working normally). 

Good luck!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: