Bongofish
November 13, 2019, 04:30:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New project, new problem. Looking for an LVDS which will work with N201J4-L01  (Read 3646 times)
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:49:49 AM »

So I'm embarking on a new build and I have my sights set on the Chi Mei N201J4-L01 originally found in the massive HP HDX9300 and HDX9000 series of laptops (see: http://www.panelook.com/N201J4-L01_Innolux_20.1_LCM_parameter_2186.html for more info). This panel has sparked my interest due to it's size (20.1" 16:10), it's resolution (1920x1200 WUXGA), it's full 8-bit processing with 16.7million colours, but most importantly the total depth of the panel before stripping is a mere 8.6mm!!!

So, great panel, what's the problem?

Well i'll tell you; I can't find an LVDS controller for it.

Sophia at NJYTouch has advised that they cannot supply a controller that will work with this panel due to the LVDS connector (40pin FI-NXB40SL-HF10), E-QStore (on ebay) have also said that they do not have a controller that will work with this panel but did not specify why. Does anyone have any suggestions on someone else I can ask?

I'm still yet to source the panel - it's going to be an allibaba job, I'm currently awaiting a quote - but I may have to let this seemingly great screen pass me by. Alternatively I might consider contacting NJYTouch and asking them to program the correct settings into one of their controllers and hacking my own cable. Might not be too difficult but more hassle than I was wanting.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:27:47 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 10:38:55 PM »

These connectors are hard to build without the proper tools -- I tried -- and I failed -- and I have decent tools, good eyes and a powerful stereo microscope.  The easier is to find a cable that already exists with that connector on one side and solder to the cables (unless these are of the micro-coaxial type in which case you are toast).

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 07:39:02 AM »

I think splicing two cable would be the route I would go rather than micro soldering but I hope I don't have to. I've spread my search a bit into LVDS controller kits for testing LCD TFTs, not much more expensive than a standard LVDS controller from NJYTouch but with the additional tools such as a programmer, multi config CCFL inverters, and multiple LVDS cables of various sizes. Once again though I'd rather not go down this route, just keeping the options open.

Another possibility is to try and get hold of a 9x12 Intuos2 and sell the two 12x12 Intuos2s' that I have, that gives me a better range of screen sizes&aspects to play around with. This one I am considering, but 9x12s' seem to be like unicorn poop in the UK!
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »

Why are you saying that 9x12 has better choices than 12x12 ?  You can put a 9x12 LCD on a 12x12 tablet -- actually this is what most people did.

b.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 07:04:46 PM »

Oh, don't get me wrong I'm not saying that my choices are physically limited by having a 12x12, it's just a matter of size. If I use a smaller screen on a 12x12 then there is a whole load of space taken up by redundant components. I have always said from the beginning that the construction of my project must be great for me to want to use it often, it's a matter of aesthetics, I'm fussy like that.

I also have plans to get a panel which overhangs the active area of the wacom across the width but not the height, this is so that I can use these parts to display hotkeys which I intend to make into touch keys but this is another matter.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 07:09:51 PM »

well, if your lcd panel circuitry is unfolded, it might makeup for some of the extra space. You can also put buttons or rest areas. Anyways, it's your baby! :-)
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 08:32:31 PM »

I actually had a screen - well still have it really but I'm giving to my mother, hers packed in. I had drawn out plans to get the case cut out of mdf and everything, even sent it off to get a quote, but then I decided that the screen wasn't good enough hence the search for another one.

I have a plan this time though, it's pretty simple; high resolution, good colour gamut, but most importantly and this is a bit of a leap of faith, the total depth of the panel should be thin <9mm (so I can stay under 12mm with glass etc) which pretty much lands me in the Laptop market. Reason for thin panel is that it makes for a stronger signal between pen and digitizer, hopefully less jitter, and should reduce parallax.

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 08:36:40 PM »

Lots of LCD monitors use the same LCD panels found laptops, no? (5-6mm)  Or maybe those are not the high-end ones? Or maybe this is only for older hardware?
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »

I'm not sure these days, I've been looking at panels from about 18.4" to 20.1" and it would certainly seem in this range that the thinner panels are only found in laptops, desktop monitors have much thicker panels, one I found was 32mm presumably due to better backlighting, perhaps more even across the panel.

The panel I was going to use was 22mm in depth which stripped back became 11.5mm, but I have concerns about this kind of depth and I think this was one of the reasons why I'm on the hunt for another panel, especially since the maximum height above my I2 is about 14mm before the pen no longer works, doesn't leave much headroom once glass has been put ontop.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: