Bongofish
December 14, 2019, 06:42:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which of these monitors should I use to make a DIY cintiq
Dell E197FPf 15"x12"  1280x1024 - 0 (0%)
Toshiba (Laptop) 11.5"x6.5"  1366x768 - 0 (0%)
Lenovo (Laptop) 13"x8.5"  1680x1050 - 1 (100%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help on starting build using old Intuos A4 GD-0912U 12"x9"  (Read 5104 times)
Belvis
New Poster

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2013, 11:08:03 PM »

The Intuos A4 GD-0912U is being given to me by a friend in a few days.

The monitors are all spares I have. The Laptops have been stripped for parts/dont work so dont mind taking the monitors.

Im just not sure which monitor is the best size to work with the tablet I will be getting. Hopefully one of them is a good fit
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:33:23 PM »

This web based applet should help http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11275473/simtiq_planner.html, it can be found in the tutorials and useful knowledge section of the forum under simtiq planner. From the options above i would probably be tempted to try the Lenovo screen, but there's more to deciding what screen you should use than the size, though that said if you have the screens why not try them.

At this stage i think you might do well to have a read through some of the successful builds and see what problems you can expect to run into. Don't limit yourself just to the successful ones though as even the unfinished and still being built projects have some useful info.
Belvis
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 12:07:36 AM »

Thanks for reply. I have read a few of the successful build stories. I haven't found one using the same tablet as me which is a bit worrying.

Ive also looked at that little web app before. The Lenovo screen is def the closest size to the tablet, but what I was wondering is it better to have the screen bigger or tablet bigger or pretty much get the tablet and screen size as close as possible.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 07:01:31 AM »

As close as possible with a favor on a bigger tablet active area. Else not all the LCD will be "covered".
Belvis
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:50:07 AM »

Just got my Intuos A4 GD-0912U 12"x9" from a friend. New problem he didnt have the accompanying pen. Looked online a bit and i found that Intuos pens only work for the intuos generation they were made for. So I have to find an original Intuos pen. Any ideas of a good place to find one of these?

Edit. Managed to find a first generation Intuos A6 with pen and drivers and things on ebay for 20 pounds. So im just going to go for that as its cheaper then getting just a replacement pen!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:19:17 PM by Belvis » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 02:14:50 PM »

Yes, typically this is how lot of people got their pen. From a deal on a smaller, compatible tablet.
Belvis
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 06:08:11 PM »

I emailed njytouch a few days ago to find out if they make controllers for my screen (wsxga+ AU optronics b154sw01   15.4 inch laptop screen). Anyone know how long it may take for them to reply?
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 08:51:28 PM »

NJYTouch are pretty quick at getting back to you in my experience, I would expect you will hear from Sophia of Christine tomorrow morning (UK time).
Belvis
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 07:31:59 PM »

Hmm, been almost a whole week and no reply. I will try their other emails (i used the gmail one) and add them on skype. I should be getting my pen tomorrow so would like to find out if they make the controller

Just noticed the NJYTouch program controller board. With this can you burn the controller board to work with whatever screen you want? Maybe this would be a better option for me if they dont have a board pre configured for the  screen I want to use.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 07:42:15 PM by Belvis » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 08:09:31 PM »

I'm surprised to hear they haven't go back to you yet, I'd be tempted to email them again for sure.

The NJYTouch programmer comes with software that includes a database of settings for specific screens (they list the compatible screens under the description on ebay), this is a bit of a shame in my opinion as a small app which allowed you to customize settings would have been better. I did read somewhere that there was a guy that wrote his own app for the programmer and successfully used it to hack the O2 joggler to be a picture frame with a 22" screen - hmm don't seem to be able to find the link at the moment.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »

Please find that link about this guy writing his own program. I would very much like to have an alternate solution. If we can get our hands on source code or some specification on how to program these things, it would be great.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 07:38:10 AM »

I remember now, I stumbled across this group of hardware hackers when I was looking into a potential tft panel and couldn't find how to drive it. I found a guy that had used the screen with one of these joggler things, but it wasn't actually this guy that had developed the new programmer software, it was from a link on his page in the wiki.

Anyway, this is the guy that did it http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Using_the_Joggler_as_a_VGA/DVI_screen but I think we might need to sweet talk him into giving us access to it, or perhaps someone with more knowledge understands what he did better and can replicate it?
Belvis
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »

Oh wow that guy has been very busy. most of the stuff he has done is a little bit over my head but seems incredibly useful as I have many other spare screens I plan on using in future projects.
But for now I finally got a reply for njytouch and they do boards preconfigured to the screen I want to use so I will order that today. Once that has arrived I can start this build properly.
Maybe then I can move this thread into the build logs, or start a new one in there?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 02:11:06 PM »

Start a new one and you can add a link back to this one for reference if you want to.
Belvis
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »

OK after some really long deliveries I almost have everything I need to start building.
I have Intuos tablet and pen, tested and working.
I have the stripped down laptop monitor.
I have the correct screen controller board from njytouch.
And I have ordered this screen power supply:   http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCREEN-MONITOR-ADAPTER-ADAPTOR-POWER/dp/B004BCBMCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385043660&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+4a+power+supply

Power supply wont arrive until Monday.

But I remembered I also have this spare power supply I bought a while ago:  http://www.maplin.co.uk/high-power-multi-voltage-desktop-power-supply-48517

It have variable voltage and can output 12v 4a. Will this also work with the controller board I bought? No chance of something bad happening? If so then I can start building today and use the other power supply when it arrives.
Im a bit nervous or using the wrong power supply and destroying the controller board and my electronics knowledge inst very good
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: