test1
March 24, 2017, 08:54:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: older pens less suitable for DIYtiqs than newer ones?  (Read 3453 times)
jedikalimero
New Poster

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2013, 02:48:43 AM »

Hi,

I just got a brand new Cintiq 22HD Touch for a few weeks for testing. I have to return it, but I'm enjoying it now.

Having an Intuos4L of my own with Grip Pen, Art Pen and Aerograph, one of the first things I tried was using these pens in the Cintiq and I got a weird surprise. Of the three pens, the only one who worked with the Cintiq was the aerograph! As soon as I put the Grip Pen or the Art Pen near the surface, I get the message:

This pen is not compatible with this Cintiq 22HDT (DTH-2200).
You must use a compatible pen. Please refer to the manual or contact Wacom Tech Support for more details

So I contacted tech support and they told me old pens don't work correctly in the new Cintiqs, so the tablet recognizes them and refuses them. The good thing is that Wacom is going to change my pens for new ones for free (but I have to send proof of purchase of the Cintiq and the pens).

The new ones will work on the Cintiqs and also on the Intuos4 and Intuos5 tablets. I tried the Cintiq pen in my tablet and it works just like the original one.

So it seems the old pens were not powerful enough or something for the Cintiqs and they decided to tweak them a little but keeping compatibility with the tablets. I was wondering if this is related with the jitter and false clicks that many are having with their builds. Maybe the problem is not in the build but in the pen itself. (or at least not completely in the build)

Then I tried a little experiment. I stopped he Wacom service so the windows tablet service takes control of the tablet and guess what? The Art Pen and my Grip Pen worked!
Well, they worked but not right. The Grip Pen was able to move around the brush pointer, but was not able to click or draw, just move around. The Art Pen moved, clicked and drew, but I had some issues you may be familiar with: jitter near the borders and ghost right clicks! and also broken lines (I suppose due to failing point pressure detection and recovering it again after an instant).
Strangely, I had another issue not only with the old pens but also with the own Cintiq pen: frequently, when drawing random curves, I got a sudden horizontal line drawn right to the border of the screen (sometimes left, sometimes right) and back to the curve I was drawing. Since this also happens with the Cintiq pen, I assume it is something with the Microsoft drivers and not with the pens.

Well, what do you think? I think this is a revealing information. Isn't it?

If you want to know if your pen is an old one or a new one, I guess you could go to some shop where they have Cintiqs in exhibition and try your pen on them. If you get the message window I quoted above, then you have an old one.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 09:02:58 PM »

This is pretty interesting. So, I had a poke around the Internet to see what I could find out about the I4 pens and the Cintiqs, and I found out that Wacom made a modification to the pens as the screens they now use in the latest range of Cintiqs appeared to suffer some interference issues that would cause dropouts in the pens (aka jitter).

I couldn't find any information about what change was made to the pens, but I would imagine that the FCC would require a retest of the Cintiqs if a frequency change was implemented (of which there doesn't seem to be an addendum on the FCC website), plus that might prevent the pens working on the I4. I would think that they improved the tuning of the pens or tweaked the power requirements of the pens in order to provide more power to brute force a signal between it and the digitizer. Exactly what they did to the pens remains a mystery, but does partly imply that a change to the hardware in the pen might provide a strengthened signal, but a change to what? now that's the question.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:41:33 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
NomYenSiChomPoo
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 01:20:18 PM »

It is useful to read I'm not very good I am. This is a great story of another. I read a great advantage as

much as I do.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: