test1
March 30, 2017, 11:38:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Serenitiq 2 - Wacom Intuos 4 L + Rozsnyo DP2MBPR controller + LTN154YL01  (Read 39888 times)
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »

Well it's been a very long time since I started my last build which, as some of you might know, never did get finished for one reason or another. So here I am again with the Serenitiq 2 as promised.

This build will be using:
- Wacom Intuos 4 Large (purchased for the ridiculously low price of £100)
- The NJYTouch NJY2662 LVDS controller (includes HDMI, DVI, VGA, Audio In & out)
- The LG LP156WF4-SLB5, Low Profile (under 3.5mm including the frame!!), IPS, 15.6", 1920x1080, High Colour Gamut

Currently I have purchased the tablet and the LVDS controller and intend to order the screen next month. Hopefully the NJY2662 has been programmed correctly for the screen but if not I'll suck up the cost of a programmer and do it myself. I'm sure it'll be fine though I had a very long email conversation with Sophia at NJYTouch to make sure that it was done correctly and she assured me it'll be grand, we'll see.

So, Ill break this build log in gently with some details on what I've been up to, starting in perhaps what might seem like a strange place, how to enclose the LVDS controller.

It's easiest to do this in pictures (and more interesting too) so first off:

A prospective case for the LVDS controller - An old and no longer used digital tv box.

* Part 01.jpg (398.83 KB. 1000x800 - viewed 904 times.)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:43:21 AM by Aerendraca » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:17:11 PM »

Taking the box apart:

* Part 02.jpg (442.2 KB. 1000x800 - viewed 770 times.)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:03:07 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 11:17:43 PM »

Debranding the box:

* Part 03.jpg (382.7 KB. 1000x800 - viewed 498 times.)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:03:27 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 11:18:17 PM »

Removing the original cutouts:

* Part 04.jpg (439.37 KB. 1000x800 - viewed 567 times.)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:03:57 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 11:22:22 PM »

New backplate manufactured from a 2mmx25mm bar of aluminium:

* Part 05.jpg (458.05 KB. 1000x800 - viewed 674 times.)

So as you can see, amazingly the digital television box had a circuit in that was exactly the same size as the LVDS controller which meant that it would fit in the case with minimal effort. A bit of cutting here, filing there, and a great deal of graft it looks great, just needs painting now!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:04:33 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 12:06:08 AM »

Here's a little mock up of how I imagine the Serenitiq2 to look:

* Concept 05.jpg (322.44 KB. 1000x800 - viewed 855 times.)

The contoured tft chassis will be made from birch ply possibly topped with leather. The button area is a work in progress but I would like to see some grey walnut veneer here somewhere.

I did toy with the idea of hacking the active area surface out of the I4 but it's so beautiful I can't bare to do invasive surgery hence the contoured overlay.

Once again, progress on this build will be slow and hopefully steady as I started a new job a couple of weeks ago (still settling in) and I'm hoping for a professional finish so patience is key!

thatcomicsguy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 12:29:00 AM »

Gorgeous!

I'll be watching your build closely.  Even with my desktop model only part-way done, I'm already thumbing through ideas for a back-packable version.

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 08:15:52 AM »

There's still some issues with a contoured design that I'm working out so progress on this one is likely to be slow. I just hope it will look and work as planned as I'm already getting excited about using it.
Galador
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 01:08:01 AM »

Hey there!

I will follow your progress closely as it relates to my particular predicament as well Smiley. I would like to ask you some questions if you don't mind:

Where did you buy it and how much was the The LG LP156WF4-SLB5 ?
I'm really curious about the casing you're building. So if I were to purchase the same laptop cooler pad, I would need what? a curved sheet (does it have to be curved?) of material, and then you fix it with bolts? IT looks really uncomplicated, probably less expensive than the TabletMod files+laser cutting service, and looks good! Not a big fan of the bulky wood builds out there (no offense), due to size and mobility restrictions. Keep up the good work!
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »

I haven't actually got the LG LP156WF4-SLB5 screen yet as I'm waiting 'til I get paid, but will probably hunt for a reputable seller on ebay. Having had a bit of a look around it would seem you can get them for about £60 new. I may actually end up going with the same model with a different suffix such as the SLB7 or the SLC1, as I have read that all of the LP156WF4 models are compatible and have more or less the same specifications - with the exception of the SLB2 which was reported to be 'a bit too orange', an issue that was corrected in later suffix models.

So if I were to purchase the same laptop cooler pad, I would need what? a curved sheet (does it have to be curved?) of material, and then you fix it with bolts? IT looks really uncomplicated, probably less expensive than the TabletMod files+laser cutting service, and looks good!

Thank you for your kind words on my design, however I'm still working out exactly how to make this so I am not really in a position to offer advice on how it all fits together at this stage. I can say that the idea is to use 6 or 7 sheets of 0.8mm plywood, laser cut with a hole for the screen and some ventilation, and I will be molding them to the profile of the Intuos 4 by gluing the sheets together to form a rigid contour. Things I don't know yet are how much this is likely to cost, where I'm going to get the parts made, how I'm going to glue them together, how I intend to finish the wood, how the screen will be held in position, where the wires will go, where to place ventilation, if the screen will cause me jitter problems, erm.... there's probably more things not including those problems I'm sure I will face along the way.

I will as always present what I have done and describe issues that I embark upon, but as I have said before this project is likely to be a slow burner hopefully to be finished in the summer (if I'm lucky).

Stay tuned though, I'm sure it'll be an interesting journey.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:19:33 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 03:03:47 PM »

Well I've done it, I've ordered a new screen!!! Yay!!!

Thing is I've taken a little bit of a gamble by going against my previous advice and purchasing the LP156WF4-SLB2  Shocked - You know the one I said had problems with the colour orange. Well I did some hunting around and I suspect that this issue was related to a specific laptop model and haven't seen this problem come up with any other laptops sporting the same panel suffix, therefore I imagine it will be ok. Additionally the SLB2 is £20 cheaper, so even if it does have a colour problem it's still cheap enough for me to test the screen for jitter issues.

Should be here on Tuesday, I'll keep you posted.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »

The screen is here!!!

Doh, they sent the wrong one......  Angry Sad Angry  Cry Cry

They've sent the AUO B156XTN03.2 which is a nice looking and very thin TN panel with a lower resolution of 1366x768 and a gamut of 45% (sigh). Right back to the seller it goes. Dissapointing.

Notice how the LP156WF4 is absent from the compatibility list:

* B156XTN03.2 (1).jpg (158.19 KB. 886x348 - viewed 610 times.)

3.2mm thin though!!!! See here compared against a sterling 50p coin:

* B156XTN03.2 (2).jpg (171.17 KB. 844x404 - viewed 569 times.)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:49:23 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 12:17:37 PM »

Well it would seem that the seller of the wrongly sent screen does not have the LP156WF4-SLB2 in stock, so I have returned the screen for a full refund. I have contacted another seller to find out if they actually have the LP156WF4-SLB7 in stock before I place a new order, so until then the thread tittle shall remain "{suffix TBA}" - even though I'm fairly sure this will be SLB7.

It's looking like next week before I receive a new screen though and I just want to get on with it, argghhh, frustrating.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 07:37:22 PM »

This is so frustrating, I've contacted a bunch of sellers on ebay asking them if the panels advertised are actually the panels that one might hope to receive. It turns out NO!! Surely there's some trading standards thing there, advertising one product but supplying 'something similar'. I mean, check out this ebay heading:

New LG Philips LP156WF4(SL)(C1) Laptop Screen 15.6" LED BACKLIT FHD Compatible

Now you might be mistaken - as I was - to assume that this is a full HD compatible LP156WF4-SLC1 for sale, but nope, turns out there should be a comma in there. By the way, the seller advised that the advert clearly said that this auction was for a screen that is compatible with the LP156WF4-SLC1 and that they don't stock the screen advertised - a point which I might add is not mentioned elsewhere in the aution advert.

I originally though this was a sneaky one-off, but WARNING TO EVERYONE, there's a whole bunch of sellers out there who are deceiving buyers discreetly. Now you might imagine that the average buyer might not care so long as their panel works in their laptop, but they should care! As most of you probably know by now, some screens are better than others and costs vastly waiver because of this, chances are these sellers are supplying cheaper inferior panels.

Another quick point before I end this rant, READ THE WHOLE AUCTION! I found one seller who didn't hint to the panel being anything but that advertised, however right at the bottom of the add in a smaller font were the words "Auction is for an LG compatible panel".

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear from a couple more sellers, so hopefully one of them can provide what they advertise.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:31:51 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 02:56:23 PM »

I had a reply from one seller who advised that the 'Compatible' screen is the Chi Mei N156HGE-LB1.

The specs on this panel are pretty similar to the LP156WF4-SLB... Main differences are:

ChiMei is TN - LG is IPS
ChiMei has contrast ratio of 600:1 - LG is 400:1
ChiMei has response time of 3ms - LG is 35ms
ChiMei has viewing angle of 90' - LG is 160'
ChiMei (panel only) uses 6.29Watts - LG 7.00Watts
ChiMei (WLED only) uses 5.00Watts - LG 5.60Watts
ChiMei panel depth is 3.2mm - LG is 3.4mm

Both have a NTSC standard Gamut of 60%

A part of me is tempted to go for this panel based on the stats above, however, my one gripe with this panel is it's poor viewing angle of 90' (left to right through the surface normal). For me this is a deal breaker and the sort of thing that I can imagine bugging me. This viewing angle is the resultant function of the panel being TN based and very thin. My heart's not into this panel at all, but something tells me I might not have any other options as it seems impossible to get hold of the LG LP156WF4 (any suffix) anywhere.

My last resort search is via some Chinese companies on Alibaba, of which I am waiting to hear back from a couple of them. Being 8 hours ahead and with the obvious language barrier, the email conversations seem to take days to complete so patience is a virtue here.

I did have a quick search on the forum to see if anyone had tried the ChiMei screen, but zero returns suggests nobody has, shame.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:58:57 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: