I'm still thinking about the LED cooling. I will definitely be using aluminium to draw the heat away but I'm unable to settle on how to do; part of me wants to cut a big chunk out of the bottom and replace the wood with metal, but this means careful measurement and cutting, and I need to make sure I don't come too close to the active area of the digitizer. Another part of me thinks that I should work around what I've already got in place and fabricate something to fit, but this option also requires lots of measurement and cutting and possibly more time however the chances of ruining what I've achieved so far are less. I need some proper time to sit and think about this, time I don't have at the momement.
On other news, and following the success of the IDC cable extention, I've managed to finish the connection part to the eDP controller enclosure.
01 - The IDC connector was measured and a template made, this was stuck to the metal eDP controller enclosure to mark out where the hole was to be cut:
(74.44 KB. 640x359 - viewed 236 times.)
02 - Preliminary holes were drilled to allow access with a file to begin shaping the hole:
(66.63 KB. 640x359 - viewed 244 times.)
03 - After a bit of time and some gentle shaping the hole was complete and ready to sit the IDC connector:
(64.38 KB. 640x359 - viewed 222 times.)
04 - A nicely filed hole fits the connector perfectly:
(73.36 KB. 640x359 - viewed 241 times.)
05 - The IDC cable lays between the controller buttons and the DP connector (plenty of room to reach both without problem):
(85.52 KB. 640x360 - viewed 238 times.)
06 - A very pleasing view of the working connection between the eDP controller and the LTN154YL01:
(61.7 KB. 640x359 - viewed 273 times.)
I am extremely delighted with how this is shaping up, but I can't say that this was without a great deal of luck on my side with the placement of parts - I would like to say that the layout of the eDP controller box was well thought out and precise, but this would be a lie as due to rigid cabling there really wasn't too many placed the components could go, plus I hadn't established how I would actually connect the eDP board to the screen when I made the enclosure. Very lucky!
By the way I've now finally tested the screen on the tablet and confirm it works OK (given there's no shielding) however, there are big areas with random clicks and blank spaces, I do get squiggly lines instead of straight ones in some places, and the allignment is off - but then again it's not finished yet. I have filmed it and once I remember my youtube login I'll post a link.
Oh, and the LEDs (which are resting on plywood currently) get pretty hot, sustaining a temperature of around 55degrees Celcius (over about 10 minutes) after around 15minutes. I would still like to bring this down though.