Bongofish
November 14, 2019, 05:48:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Serenitiq 2 - Wacom Intuos 4 L + Rozsnyo DP2MBPR controller + LTN154YL01  (Read 85847 times)
profaldo

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2014, 10:36:21 AM »

Man that looks like a piece of art in itself!

Really excited with this build.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2014, 10:47:29 AM »

Thanks. It is a beautiful shape, although I think I really should give that credit to Wacom.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2014, 11:55:35 AM »

Here's some pics of progress so far. The edges of the plywood have been routed back to size and squared off nicely.

* Trimmed01.jpg (122.02 KB. 979x734 - viewed 415 times.)

I love the grain on the edges of the ply, unfortunately I chose to use a handheld circular saw to trim the sides back which subsequently resulted in an awful angled cut that lead to having to trim the sides back further than I had originally wanted, this meant that the lovely ply edging that I had hoped for at the sides had to be rejected in favor of a different approach. I chose to use some more laminated pieces which will be glued to the edges to make up for the lost material and provide a lovely grain in a different direction; I've come to prefer this idea now I've gotten over my frustration of making a silly mistake.

* Trimmed02.jpg (137.68 KB. 979x734 - viewed 354 times.)

This angle shows how short I had to cut the sides; it's about 8mm each side.

* Trimmed03.jpg (121.68 KB. 979x734 - viewed 397 times.)

This shows the basic idea laid out above with the smoked eucalyptus veneer placed on top. How nice is this venner, such a beautiful grain and colour, and really pops the contrast of the plywood. Just waiting on some veneer glue before I proceed with veneering. Hopefully I'll get a chance next week.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:05:18 AM by Aerendraca » Logged
kajuzas
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2014, 12:45:36 PM »

Looks amazing, cant wait to see it finished. Keep it up
woodguy32

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2014, 04:32:06 PM »

Beautiful Woodwork  Aerendraca,    The laminated curved contours is not an easy thing to produce.. The finished build will have a Awesome look and feel....

Congrats.. I really dig these builds..

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2014, 01:12:35 PM »

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

A really minor update today. I was toying with methods of how to attach the overlay screen assembly to the wacom to stop it from slipping around during use. I came up with Velcro, harness straps (like something you might find on a backpack), I also considered mechanical clamps and fixed clamps, but in the end I decided to use some strong neodymium magnets and anti-slip mat!

As always here's some more pics:

* WP_20141001_028.jpg (222.45 KB. 640x480 - viewed 440 times.)

The magnets.

* WP_20141001_017.jpg (242.34 KB. 640x480 - viewed 466 times.)

The magnets have been placed on the lower edge (as seen in this picture) and close to the digitizer circuit.

* WP_20141001_006.jpg (306.91 KB. 640x480 - viewed 438 times.)

So that the magnets would fit inside the case a slight modification had to be made to make some space. This image shows the underside of the top of the Intuos 4 (the bit you draw on); a small amount of structural plastic was removed.

* WP_20141001_008.jpg (231.67 KB. 640x480 - viewed 383 times.)

The Intuos 4 is reassembled and two more magnets are placed on the case to show the location of the internal magnets.

* WP_20141001_022.jpg (178.11 KB. 640x480 - viewed 309 times.)

The overlay case is placed ontop of the tablet and the magnets are once again placed so you can see where the internal magnets reside within the tablet. Ignore the filler paste, I needed to fill the holes I made before I can apply the veneer.

Though I haven't yet tested to see if this impacts on the performance of the tablet, I very much doubt it will as the magnets are not close to the active area and are far from sensitive electronics. I will test this tonight to confirm if I get the chance. The other thing I will say is that I have only placed the magnets on the top edge of the tablet, there are two reasons for this, the first is that the magnets are strong and just on that edge provide a pull of 22kg (that should be plenty), the second is so that the overlay is easier to remove by lifting the lower edge.

The next stage is to embed opposing poled magnets in the plywood case - hopefully this will prove to me that 22kg pull is sufficient otherwise the wacom case if off again and two more magnets are going in!

Oh, and the anti-slip mat is to stop the overlay from moving side to side.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:16:55 PM by Aerendraca » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2014, 08:50:24 PM »

The magnets have been countersunk! I should have taken a photo of the dodgy jig I built of scraps attached to a pillar drill using a router bit - dodgy it was but it did the job (albeit a bit rough around the edges).

* MagsInPly.jpg (198.93 KB. 640x480 - viewed 436 times.)

I decided to double up the magnets in the plywood as the strength of a single layer was a little bit weak, a double layer is fantastically strong, and combined with the anti-slip matting the overlay will not budge - even at angles approaching 90degrees!!

The tablet is at my work so I am unable to test to see if the magnets affect anything until tomorrow when I take my pen in. I'm sure it will be fine.

bumhee34

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2014, 05:42:04 AM »

Gorgeous, I love your vacuum laminating(?) technique.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2014, 01:07:24 PM »

Thanks. How are you getting on with your mbpro retina build? You realize I regularly scope your thread for ideas.  Smiley

Super-quick update this time: Overlay tested and I can confirm that the magnets do not affect the tablet at all and the thickness of the overlay doesn't impinge on the usability of the pen either which is great.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2014, 08:20:45 AM »

After having thought about the locating magnets I've used and their strength, I decided that it is probably wise to try and contain the magnetic field as much as possible to prevent accidently wiping a debit card or phone etc, so I spent some time looking into metals that are good at redirecting magnetic fields and did a few tests with some pieces I have laying around. I was lucky enough to source a small piece of scrap mumetal (ferrous metal with high nickel content) and found it to be very good at redirecting the field lines given it's thickness was only 0.5mm, however the piece is scrap and not really usable, so I found a seller on eBay from Canada who can supply small sheets (10" x 8") of 1mm thick mumetal for a reasonable price and ordered a sheet.

Until I receive this the build will have to remain on hold as the next step is veneering and I can't do this until the magnet holes are filled.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:23:13 AM by Aerendraca » Logged
thatcomicsguy

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2014, 12:51:28 AM »

Holy smokes!  I'd not checked in on this project recently, and it's looking gorgeous!

That formed plywood brings my heart to my throat.

And that smoked eucalyptus..!  And that elegant magnet solution...

I'm totally jazzed about this build.  You're pushing boundaries I didn't even know were pushable!
bumhee34

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2014, 02:03:14 AM »

Thanks. How are you getting on with your mbpro retina build? You realize I regularly scope your thread for ideas.  Smiley

Super-quick update this time: Overlay tested and I can confirm that the magnets do not affect the tablet at all and the thickness of the overlay doesn't impinge on the usability of the pen either which is great.
been busy these days for my research.
I think I should make new case for the tablet. I've looked into Intuos 5, and found that space is too tight..
It looks like eDP cable extension tool cannot be placed inside Intuos 5. Still thinking..
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2014, 06:35:16 AM »

@ thatcomicsguy, that's really nice of you to say, thanks so much. Because this build is a really slow burner, all the encouragement I can get helps to keep chipping away.

@ bumhee34, what solution have you come up with for extending the edp cable?
bumhee34

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2014, 07:50:36 AM »

@ bumhee34, what solution have you come up with for extending the edp cable?
It might be better to explain with pics. Proper connectors are soldered on some boards( do not know how to call them), then I will connect them together.

* eDP_extension.JPG (78.81 KB. 1288x583 - viewed 482 times.)

Following pic is one of example that my friend working. So two of them will be connected with wires with simple soldering.

* KakaoTalk_20140921_120726320.png (227 KB. 454x301 - viewed 456 times.)

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2014, 08:56:24 AM »

Very nice!!  Smiley

In the unlikely event that you should end up with too many of these, I would very much like to perhaps buy a couple from you. Might this be a possibility?

The eDP wire is just too short to get all that creative with.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:58:27 AM by Aerendraca » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: