Bongofish
November 19, 2017, 04:58:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A quest for ancient software (yes, Wacom related)  (Read 4564 times)
tufty
New Poster

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »

I'm in the process of reverse engineering the protocol used by the ADB Intuos tablets.  it's slightly[1] more complex than that for the Ultrapad / ArtZ tablets that I worked out a while back, but I'm convinced it's do-able.  That said, I've been convinced it's do-able for some time - I've been titting about with this, on and off, for a couple of years now...

Anyway, back in the good old days, when Wacom first announced the Intuos tablets, they had 2 entirely separate series of drivers - the 2.x.x series, which supported the earlier tablets, and the 4.x.x series, which supported *only* the intuos line up until v4.5.5 or so.  Now, I have a copy of one of the "merged" drivers, which I've been working from, but it might be easier (and give more points of similarity) if I could lay my hands on one of the intuos-only drivers.  Wayback machine shows me v4.1.2 and 4.1.3 as being downloadable replacements for the 4.0.x series of drivers (which, I'm guessing, were delivered in-box with the early intuos tablets), but of course it doesn't give me the drivers themselves, nor are the servers pointed to extant (and Wacom themselves have expunged all the old stuff from their current servers).

So, if anyone out there has a copy of one of these hen's teeth, lying about in a box or installed on an ancient piece of hardware somewhere, I would be extremely grateful to lay my hands on a copy.

Simon

[1] "slightly" as in an elephant is slightly bigger than an ant"
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 01:43:54 PM »

I think I might have the original Install discs for the Intuos 2 if that's any help.
tufty
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 07:27:46 PM »

I think I might have the original Install discs for the Intuos 2 if that's any help.
If you have, it might be worth a shot.  Assuming you have something that's capable of reading them, of course.  What's needed is something from a hypothetical v4.0.0 up to, but not including, 4.4.0.  The version number should be marked on the disk label, if my v2.5.5 disk is anything to go by.

Anyway, if you manage to lay your hands on the disk, that would be fab. I'm amassing a collection of Wacom drivers you wouldn't believe Smiley
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 12:24:50 AM »

Sorry tufty, it would seem i no longer have the original install disc for the I2 (or at least I can't find it). Perhaps someone else on the forum has this?
tufty
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 08:08:57 PM »

So, I managed to get my hands on a copy of version 4.1.2.  It's not significantly less complex than the later, multi-tablet drivers...

However, I had a major "eureka" moment last night before going to bed, and I can currently correctly decode the x and y tilt packets from a standard intuos stylus.  Pressure and location packets are in progress.  I understand how Wacom are doing it, I've tested with the tilt side of things, so it's now just a question of teasing a little bit of logic apart.

what I've got so far isn't gonna work with multi-tool, and I have no idea if it's gonna work with other transducers (pucks, airbrush, inking stylus etc).  Need to lay my hands on some more hardware...
tufty
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 08:40:14 PM »

A quick update.

• I now know how multi-tracking works.
  • I can get location, pressure, orientation, tilt and buttons from a standard stylus
  • I think I know how the 4d mouse works, and will be able to test this and multi-tracking tomorrow (I have one arriving in the post)

If anyone has an intuos airbrush, puck, inking pen, stroke pen or 2d mouse, an adb intuos and a teensy (or would be willing to lend their transducer), I'd be interested to know.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 08:16:57 AM »

Sorry just read you post. I have found that Intuos2 Driver CD but you probably don't need it anymore now do you?

I was be fascinated to know what you have found out, perhaps you could be persuaded to share a short tutorial?

Actually which Intuos are you working on, the Intuos1? I believe the Intuos 1 was an analog tablet (the last of it's kind for Wacom), Intuos 2 upwards were all digital and although they probably work in a similar way (especially in terms of multiplexing signals), I believe that the communication protocols are all digital and now include a short ID dump from the pen once in range.

Also, are you working out how the drivers work or the physical hardware, or maybe a bit of both?

I haven't seen Bernard around these parts for a little while, but this guy knows his stuff when it comes to the Intuos 1 and ArtPads, I think there is even a thread somewhere containing his findings called something like 'the science of tablets?'.

Just did a bit of googling and found your GitHub, that's some pretty involved research, I'm interested to see how you get on with this, best of luck!
tufty
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 07:46:38 PM »

I'm at the stage where I think I understand at least how the standard pen and 4d mouse work, and I'm almost certain that I know how multi-tool works.  I'm trying to get my proof-of-concept converter (GD-XXXX-A -> XD-XXX-U) up and running. The ADB and a lot of the USB side of things are ripped from Bernard's sterling work, the bugs are all mine Smiley

I suspect that the reason Dave Fleck couldn't tell me how it worked is because Wacom are still using much the same method (at least internally) for current tablets.

Once I have my converter up and running, I'll put a full post up with my findings, and (probably) an explanation of the maths behind it all.

Simon
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 08:54:34 AM »

So am i right in thinking that you are trying to extend the life of older hardware by having them appear to Windows as more recent tablets? Or perhaps you are making new drivers?
tufty
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 05:46:57 PM »

Yep, new hardware from old.  As it were Smiley

The approach is exactly the same as Bernard's waxbee (indeed, I'm currently "borrowing" his code quite heavily), and the idea is that Bernard can then take the stuff I've done (or vice versa) and produce something that's capable of automagically turning any of Wacom's adb tablets into something that's supported.

Simon

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: