Bongofish
October 16, 2018, 03:30:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: World First? Retique, PTZ630+IPAD retina panel.  (Read 66318 times)
profaldo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 11:00:30 AM »

Go to any photo studio that makes / prepares photo frames and they could help you out with the tempered glass.

I got mine from a furniture / glass cutter.
TheFreeman
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 12:19:02 AM »

Go to any photo studio that makes / prepares photo frames and they could help you out with the tempered glass.

I got mine from a furniture / glass cutter.

It's the thickness that's the problem, everyone is offering glass that's > 1/8th of an inch. From what Bumhee was saying, I need glass that's 1.65mm thick.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 07:51:20 AM »

bumhee34 is from South Korea where tempered gorilla type glass is manufactured and from what I understand it still cost an arm and a leg to get a piece cut. It would be almost ideal to use glass like this but if you live outside of Korea or China this is but a dream - unless you have a couple of hundred £s/$/€ and have a route around the language barrier (in my case).

The other thing I would suggest about gorilla glass - and similar - is that it is designed to bend, this is what makes it strong, so for this application it is not ideal as you would still be putting a good deal of pressure directly on the tft. In applications where this glass is typically used (mobile phones/tablets/watches etc) the glass has it's flex restricted by use of a UV cure bonding agent called LOCA (Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive) 'glue' which holds the glass securely and directly to the tft, creating a structurally stronger surface.

2 or 3mm glass will be fine, preferably tempered as it's stronger, and as profaldo suggests picture framing companies can often help with this.

I would suggest that whatever thickness you decide upon, that you make sure that the pen is still detected by the digitizer with the additional thickness. I think the typical maximum thickness here - from the surface of the digitizer - is between about 12-14mm but you're mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:04:08 AM by Aerendraca » Logged
profaldo

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »

Just for the record - I used a sheet of glass that is 3mm in thickness. Found no issues really.

The glass cutter said I could used 2mm as well, but then that might break under the pressure of my hand (I have a heavy hand) since the area covered by the glass is too big.

Hope this helps.
TheFreeman
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 10:28:32 PM »

...The other thing I would suggest about gorilla glass - and similar - is that it is designed to bend, this is what makes it strong, so for this application it is not ideal as you would still be putting a good deal of pressure directly on the tft. In applications where this glass is typically used (mobile phones/tablets/watches etc) the glass has it's flex restricted by use of a UV cure bonding agent called LOCA (Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive) 'glue' which holds the glass securely and directly to the tft, creating a structurally stronger surface.

You obviously know your screens. The only bonding agent I've ever heard of is N-Hexane, which has been banned (at Foxconn at least) because it's so toxic. Thanks for the info.

Just for the record - I used a sheet of glass that is 3mm in thickness. Found no issues really.

The glass cutter said I could used 2mm as well, but then that might break under the pressure of my hand (I have a heavy hand) since the area covered by the glass is too big.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for clarifying. The local guys basically gave me the runaround, saying that they couldn't temper something that small, even if they ordered it. I found this online: http://www.displays2go.com/P-19784/Glass-Clip-Photo-Frame-Is-Frameless-With-A-Tempered-Glass-Panel

That seems to be the most cost efficient way of getting something suitable. Are the length and width enough? Based on my measurements, it might end up being a bit short.
bumhee34

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 05:53:22 AM »

For this build, 1.65 mm tempered glass is not necessary.
3mm thickness glass would have minor impact on jitters. The panel is very thin enough.
And, I think you can get 3mm tempered glass easily even outside Korea.

Ah, by the way, Happy Lunar Year !!
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 07:34:32 AM »

Happy Lunar Year to you too!
TheFreeman
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 03:54:08 PM »

For this build, 1.65 mm tempered glass is not necessary.
3mm thickness glass would have minor impact on jitters. The panel is very thin enough.
And, I think you can get 3mm tempered glass easily even outside Korea.

Ah, by the way, Happy Lunar Year !!

Happy Lunar Year to you as well!

I found these guys online after a lot of searching: http://elitecustomglass.com/glass/custom-glass.html
They'll cut custom sizes of 3mm tempered glass without charging an arm and a leg. Also, they offer tempered low iron (starfire) glass, something I've been unable to find elsewhere. Low iron glass has better transmissive properties and removes the bluish-green tint that normal glass has. Looks like it'll be ~$45 out the door.

All I need to do now is get an RMA on this iPad screen and take the measurements for laser cutting. If any of you still have them somewhere, I'd love to have them.
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 06:07:55 PM »

Unfortunately they are only shipping inside the US Sad
TheFreeman
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 03:26:03 AM »

Unfortunately they are only shipping inside the US Sad

Where are you located?
I hope to order the glass tomorrow and update with my progress next week.
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 07:08:41 AM »

Im in Austria.
I don't need the glass right now but I have a intuos 3 6x8 at home Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: