test1
July 23, 2017, 01:48:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GDDR3 or GDDR5?  (Read 3370 times)
marceloaguiar

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »

Hey guys,

I've finished my diy cintiq some time ago (will post pictures as soon as I have the time) and now I'm looking for a decent laptop to work with. I choose laptop over desktop because I still want to have mobility.

I saw this Asus N550JV-CN274H:
i7-4700HQ 2,4ghz
16GB RAM 1600mhz
1TB HDD
Nvidia GeForce GT 750M 4GB GDDR3

Then I saw this one: N56JR-S4048H, which has a Nvidia GeForce GTX760M with 2GB GDDR5.

So the question arises, should I go for 4GB GDDR3 or 2GB GDDR5?
I've searched the internet for the answer, it seems GDDR5 is always better than GDDR3 because it's much faster, even with half the memory size. But everywhere I go to, the context is gaming.
I'm planning to use photoshop and perhaps sketchbook pro. Sometimes 3D Studio MAX and Rhinoceros. But the main goal is photoshop with my cintiq.

I feel that this is the right place to ask this question.
Thank you for your opinions!

I love my tablet... that's why I'm going to tear it apart.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 09:12:37 AM »

Hi marceloaguiar,

That's a couple of laptops with some punch! I would suggest that the difference between these in terms of using photoshop or sketchbook pro you probably will not see a difference in performance, although it may be worth checking out compatibility with photoshop if you plan to use the 3D facility.

Neither of these cards are on the certified list for Autodesk 3DSMax or Rhino but I'm sure they will run just fine on both, however you will obviously not see the same benifits from these that you would get from a pro card.

With all that said, if I was in your shoes and the price difference between the two systems was in the same ball park I would go for the GTX760m. The GTX range will have high clock speeds over the GT series with the addition of more Cuda cores, in this case 768cores of the GTX760M vs 384cores of the GT. This can be useful with rendering speed and visualising complex models if the software you use supports the use of Cuda; Blender is an example of this.
The additional bonus is that if you did decide to game on it, you should be able to play the latest releases at fairly high resolution and high(ish) FPS.

Another thing I would just add is that 2GB of memory is big enough for 90%+ of tasks, oh, and I think the general rule of thumb is that if you plan to use Autodesk software, support and performance wise you want an AMD GPU and if you go the Dassault Systemes Solidworks route you're better off with Nvidia.

If the GT750M laptop is significantly cheaper (>£100) I might be tempted to swing that way. It's personal preference, nobody knows how you work on you computer better than you, and all this is just my personal opinion.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:34:53 AM by Aerendraca » Logged
marceloaguiar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 06:51:48 PM »

Hello,

Thanks for your answer!

The thing is laptops with AMD gpu are kind of hard to find here in Portugal. I don't know why, but Intel processors have a monopoly over here and that goes for Nvidia as well.
They are both around the same price, so gddr5 would be the wiser choice.

In the meantime I discovered that these models were recently discontinued so my guess is that Asus is about to release some new models.
Hopefully they release a model with 4GB gddr5 at a decent price. An SSD drive would be nice, too. Let's see what they have in store!

marceloaguiar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 10:41:57 PM »

Just to give an update on this.
Asus released a new model but sadly there was no SSD or GDDR5. So I was pretty disappointed.
I turned to Clevo, and eventually was convinced by this model: http://www.clevocenter.com/index.php/p151sm1860m.html

It's in portuguese but it's easy to see that the Asus is no match against this one: i7 4710, 4gb GDDR5 and two drives, one 240gb SSD and one 1TB 7200rpm.
I've ordered it last monday and I'm anxiously waiting for it.  Wink

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 01:42:01 PM »

Did you get it yet? is it any good?
marceloaguiar2
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 11:30:52 PM »

Hi!
I had to set up a new account because I changed my email adress and never received an activation email...  Huh

I received my new laptop yesterday and so far I'm very happy with it!
The 4GB GDDR5 are really great, and it works beautifully. Plus, it's a good looking laptop. Not an aluminium unibody like the Asus, but it looks good.
The two disk drives (one SSD and one HDD 750GB 7200rpm) are really useful too, the programs start really quick, as well as Windows.

So far I've tested a render on 3DS Max and one that took me 23h to render now takes only 4:35 minutes.
I tested it on my "Cintiq" and there was a lot of jitter (really a lot) but I'm using a hdmi-dvi connection, which I read here somewhere that can cause jitter. I'm waiting for a VGA cable now.

So what can I say, for €1300 you get A LOT more than you would get with an Asus, and that matters....
I recommend it!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: