Bongofish
December 17, 2017, 05:11:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcement : ADB Intuos converter v0.1-beta  (Read 5223 times)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 10:15:25 AM »

License: Thanks, good catch!!   it's "MIT License"

This was clear in Google Code -- but I guess this info was kinda lost when I exported to GitHub (?).  I just created a LICENSE.txt file.

V-USB:  Ah yes, the software-only version. I think the USB descriptors returns if one supports a specific USB speed. V-USB is low-speed only and 1.1 compliant only. If the plan is on emulating a normal Wacom tablet, I am affraid that any change to the USB descriptor will make the Wacom driver bark (Wacom's drivers are super-picky). Now if the plan is to build a generic HID tablet or maybe one of those TabletPC consumed by non-Wacom-built drivers, you might actually be in luck. I wouldn't use a device without a real hardware USB (with USB 2.0 signaling support). I mean so many inexpensive devices are available with this capability. I wouldn't want to slow down a user's USB bus with a 1.1-only device on the bus. (USB: it won't slow down the USB devices transmission speed, but I fear it might affect the USB polling timings -- but I am not 100% sure of that).

XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 09:55:12 PM »

License: Thanks, good catch!!   it's "MIT License"

This was clear in Google Code -- but I guess this info was kinda lost when I exported to GitHub (?).  I just created a LICENSE.txt file.

V-USB:  Ah yes, the software-only version. I think the USB descriptors returns if one supports a specific USB speed. V-USB is low-speed only and 1.1 compliant only. If the plan is on emulating a normal Wacom tablet, I am affraid that any change to the USB descriptor will make the Wacom driver bark (Wacom's drivers are super-picky). Now if the plan is to build a generic HID tablet or maybe one of those TabletPC consumed by non-Wacom-built drivers, you might actually be in luck. I wouldn't use a device without a real hardware USB (with USB 2.0 signaling support). I mean so many inexpensive devices are available with this capability. I wouldn't want to slow down a user's USB bus with a 1.1-only device on the bus. (USB: it won't slow down the USB devices transmission speed, but I fear it might affect the USB polling timings -- but I am not 100% sure of that).
I don't think the USB speed should matter much. At least the Linux drivers only check for USB VID and PID (and I somehow hope the Windows driver does the same...).
A generic Tablet interface is a good idea but I have no idea how to write Windows drivers Tongue
Also I really want to sometimes try to implement my own version of a Wacom tablet using a few multiplexers, opamps and an fpga (need to learn a lot more about how this things work though before I can even attempt). And if I use a non-commercial license I can even publish it as some form of "Open Hardware Tablet" without getting myself into some patenting troubles ^^
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 07:34:58 AM »

Oh my, create your own tablet!  that is quite an undertaking!  V-USB is certainly far easier. (to me at least)  Nothing stops you!

Well, the nice thing about Generic HID Tablets is that you do not need any drivers!  You just "describe" your device (in USB+HID descriptors) and you send off the packets. The descriptors details what each piece of information represents. (like X coordinates -- I didn't look at the list recently, but there is a good chance that about all the "standard" tablet attributes are supported).  This is like doing a generic mouse -- who needs a driver for a mouse?  That is the main idea (promise?) behind the whole HID thingy! A driveless world.

Not sure if going the Open Hardware route allows you to do patented stuff??
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 01:19:45 PM »

I think that non-commercial "for educational purposes only" would be fine (An open hardware tablet is a very tough project though and probably wont happen the next few months/years :3).
For generic HID Tablet: is there a driverless HID class (like mouse) that allows for absolute coordinates and pressure input?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 05:21:33 PM »

In the HID spec a tablet is named "Digitizer". Yes, the spec probably support most if not all features (absolute position, pressure and I can even see X/Y Tilt). You can check it out here: http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage/Hut1_12v2.pdf

Now does it work in practice is another question. Grin

EDIT: I think it supports the Wacom-style orientation too (named "twist") -- Some wacom report the "hovering distance" of the pen from the board which I am not sure how to report that (like for doing airbrushing?)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 05:28:43 PM by bernard » Logged
Ertew

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 10:21:10 PM »

I wouldn't want to slow down a user's USB bus with a 1.1-only device on the bus. (USB: it won't slow down the USB devices transmission speed, but I fear it might affect the USB polling timings -- but I am not 100% sure of that).
Some USB 3.0 are not backward compatible with 1.1 and 1.0 devices so 2.0 only. There are also some embedded devices that have 2.0 port only. For example I cannot use USB-PS2 converters and some old USB devices right on ports.

How to solve that? Use any 2.0 USB HUB. Good hubs can switch any port to 2.0, 1.1 or 1.0 speed. Bad hubs can switch upstream (PC) port to any speed and ALL downstream (devices) ports to another speed. Now I can use V-USB devices and old keyboard via simple and cheap USB hub. Only downside is that whole hub working in low speed. Mass storage devices working, but  Roll Eyes

Last word, some motherboards have onboard hub with same bad design. One slow device (without hub) and rest USB ports are almost useless.

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 10:18:55 AM »

I wouldn't want to slow down a user's USB bus with a 1.1-only device on the bus. (USB: it won't slow down the USB devices transmission speed, but I fear it might affect the USB polling timings -- but I am not 100% sure of that).
Some USB 3.0 are not backward compatible with 1.1 and 1.0 devices so 2.0 only. There are also some embedded devices that have 2.0 port only. For example I cannot use USB-PS2 converters and some old USB devices right on ports.

How to solve that? Use any 2.0 USB HUB. Good hubs can switch any port to 2.0, 1.1 or 1.0 speed. Bad hubs can switch upstream (PC) port to any speed and ALL downstream (devices) ports to another speed. Now I can use V-USB devices and old keyboard via simple and cheap USB hub. Only downside is that whole hub working in low speed. Mass storage devices working, but  Roll Eyes

Last word, some motherboards have onboard hub with same bad design. One slow device (without hub) and rest USB ports are almost useless.
Funfact: USB2 and USB1 devices work perfectly fine on an USB3 hub. I have only one device that doesn't and this is my (pretty old) Canon flatbed scanner but this one doesn't even work with a USB2 hub. It is the only reason I put a USB2 controller card inside my PC Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: