Bongofish
November 14, 2019, 04:15:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LCD panel and controller suggestion?  (Read 1741 times)
Random123
New Poster

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2014, 08:01:35 AM »

Hi, I've searched through this forum but there is nothing I can find which is specific to what would work for an Intuos5 medium or even an Intuos4 med which I assume is the only one with similar dimensions. Can someone suggest a good lcd panel (with led backlight and whatever other features would be good IPS?) and a good controller?
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »

Hi Random123, Welcome.

As usual with this type of question it is a bit loaded in that there is no definitive solution. The typical advice given to anyone that embarks upon a DIY Cintiq build is that you should read the whole forum (or at least the successful builds) and try to get a feel for the success rate and technical abilities required. Chances are the project will not run smoothly and you will end up having to solve some problems which may result in some research on your part. Screen compatibility is also open for some discussion, it seems that while one person may have some luck with a screen, someone else may run into problems, and since the way that we design our builds is unique it's not always easy to tell why. That said, on the most part, there does seem to be an increased level of success with those that have chosen to build following the examples laid out by others.

The first thing I would do is check out the Simtiq Planner: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11275473/simtiq_planner.html
With this tool you can work out what size screen and aspect would best match the active area of the Wacom. For the I5 or I4 Mediums I would guess you're going to be looking at something like an IPad screen (~10" and ideally 16:10aspect).

The following link is for a very recent build that had success using the IPad3 Retina screen;an excellent job by Bumhee34: http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=2379.0

You might also consider looking to see if there are builds with the older Intuos 3 A5 (8"x6" active area) as any solutions here may also work with the I4 & I5.

Perhaps, you could use the screen from a small notebook (again something around 10"). I'm sure there is a build within the last year that implemented this, you'll have to do some searching.   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: