Bongofish
November 13, 2019, 12:12:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intuos 4 XL based build  (Read 2546 times)
zeiram
New Poster

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2014, 10:23:36 AM »

Hi all,
I recently bought an Intuos 4 XL at a quite good price and want to turn it into a cintiq like tablet. I took a look at the forum and read nearly all of the posts talking about XL based builds.

From what I've read I think I should get a 24" 16:10 screen to closely match the size and aspect ratio of the intuos 4 xl. Also a LED backlit seems to produce less interference and the power supply should be external (power brick). Unfortunately I couldn't find a recent monitor that matches all of these specifications and would like to know if some of you had some screen models in mind I could use.

Also I think my main problem will be with building a cabinet. I found the tabletmod website offers vectorial files for sale that can be used to cut cabinet parts into acrylic sheets but the AOC screens they talk about on the website are quite old and are not easily found anywhere. Can other models be used in replacement?

Sorry for my english, I lack practicing.
zithe1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 02:21:27 PM »

This is the closest thing I could find to what they posted. http://www.amazon.com/AOC-i2267Fw-22-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00CLZ047Q/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399437239&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=Aoc+e2243Fs

I'm going to be doing the tabletmod XL build when I get the money together. Likely in June. I'm hoping this one would work. It looks pretty thin and it's IPS which is awesome.
zeiram
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »

I see this one is a 21.5" sized. Do you think a 24" 16:10 can also fit the tabletmod xl cabinet or it is too large? Also maybe the holes for connectors don't match.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:27:50 AM »

Hi Zeiram, Welcome.

Intuos 4 XL! Wow that's going to be another huge DIY Cintiq for the forum. Having a look at the Simtiq planner I can see that a 24" 16:10 screen would indeed cover the entire active area of the wacom I4 XL and match the apsect ratio nicely, however I would suspect that the screen will be too large for the Tabletmod XL frame, especially since they actually recommend two different 22" screens for this enclosure.

While a 22" screen is smaller and falls inside the active area of the wacom, the active area lost is a little over a centimeter in each direction. Given that the available active area is  474mmx296mm I think you still have plenty of space to get your art down.

Perhaps check out this build: http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1374.0
This build uses an I3 XL (same aspect and active area size as I4XL) and 22" panel. I haven't read it for a while but given that it's now in the successful builds part of the forum I would say it's a good place to start.

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:29:33 AM by Aerendraca » Logged
zeiram
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 12:44:10 AM »

Thanks for the advice Aerendraca.
I think I will take into consideration the 22" option too since it seems indeed that there will not be an enormous loss of active area when using a 22" instead of a 24".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: