Bongofish
September 16, 2019, 02:05:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: XPC 1700 from P-active  (Read 13468 times)
klaus
New Poster

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:18:55 AM »

This is not really a build log, but I thought this could be interesting for all you tablet geeks  Wink

A while ago Rumi posted something about a tablet monitor from japan. The XPC-1700 from P-active. It's a 17" tablet monitor.  I got kinda interested and contacted P-active by e-mail, asked If I could order one directly from them and to my surprise they were nice enough and it was no problem. It was only 620 dollars.

I received it yesterday and WOW it is really nice. Now I haven't tried the Cintiq, but I worked with Wacoms for the last 10 years. Drawing on the screen is SO much better. Finally I get good lines and flow in the paint. 

I am gonna post some images of the tablet as soon as possible, but until now everything has been great.  The quality is good, the pen has a battery in it, but I actually liked that. It lies better in the hand than the wacom pen. It doesn't feel cheap at all. It even came with two pen. Drivers worked great..

http://www.xp-pen.com/company/lcd.htm

Klaus

Check out my art!
www.zoinkgames.com/gallery
Rumi

Mad Artist/Scientist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 01:33:05 PM »

That sounds promising, would be interested to hear your views after you have used it for a while.
Does it run on a Mac by any chance?

PS: Great art work!

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 11:00:31 PM »

Now thats the sort of price the cintiq should be.  I thought the far-east would start supplying the demand over here sooner or later, it's such an obvious gap in the market.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
klaus
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 12:29:13 AM »

No it only has drivers for PC.

Sorry
robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 06:39:21 AM »

"includes compactness pen carrier" Grin

That's a bargain. Did that include shipping? I recall seeing something indicating the retail price would be more than $1000.

Does the pressure sensitivity work in Flash?  are you able to program the pen on a per app basis like Wacoms can?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 06:47:39 AM by robcat2075 » Logged

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
Rumi

Mad Artist/Scientist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 07:03:24 AM »

Hey Klaus maybe you could do us a great favour and open the unit up and read the model number of the LCD panel! That would help us so much, instead of randomly trying this monitor and that monitor.  Smiley

DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 08:31:19 PM »

I sent them an email and haven't heard from them.  Their UK office sells the xpc 1700 for £822 pounds http://www.recommbs.co.uk/products/xpc1700b.html.

I'm sticking with my own build for now.  I'm still waiting on my tablet to arrive - Third party amazon sellers can be really inefficient at times!

EZ CINTIQ. How to build a DIY Cintiq, it's  easier than a DIY PC! www.tabletmod.com
dynam1c

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 11:15:31 PM »

£822..

Wow for that much you could build your own, using a brand new intuos 3 and a great spanky funky hi-endish lcd.

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 10:35:57 AM »

Hold on. You got it direct for $620, but through retail it's over $1000 and in the uk it's the equivalent of $1500?

muttermumblegrumble Angry

Jacob
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 04:42:36 PM »

hi klaus,

sounds very interesting.

did you orderd it directly from xp-pen.com?

thx in advance

Jacob
klaus
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 10:45:17 PM »

Let me see..

eehhm NO I am not gonna open up my spanking new toy, sorry Rumi Wink I am really no good with electronics.. that's why I ordered it instead of building one.

You can not program the pen on per progam basis(hasn't been a problem yet). I have tried it in Photoshop and Zbrush. Works great for all those applications.
I haven't tried it in Flash yet.

I don't think it supports tilting(honestly I have NEVER in 10 years had any use for that anyway).

620 dollars was without shipping. It was ordered directly from P-active. I emailed their sales email.

What else.. it seems to be pulling a little against the screen edges. left and right.. really close to the edge..

I wish the stand could rotate. It tilts from almost flat to 90 degress.

The pen has two buttons, their is sorta like rubber around the bottom with two buttons inside the rubber... works ok, but sometimes it's hard to find the buttons without looking(look at images).

It's thin glass surface, about.. 2-3 mm thick.. so the pen does float above the cursor.. is it the same on Cintiq?

Other than that it works great. Still I haven't tried a Cintiq, but I do have the latest Wacom.

Rumi

Mad Artist/Scientist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 02:58:31 AM »

That's alright Klaus Smiley I would probably be apprehensive about opening up a new toy too!

Sounds like the unit is alright for that price...maybe you could build a wooden table for it so you could rotate it.

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 10:43:04 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't find a use for tilt Roll Eyes
Yes, the cintiq has a thick piece of glass. Someone told me it was visibly thicker than the 2mm over mine.
Can you switch the cursor between monitors like the wacomswitch software, on a hotkey or something?

dancinbojangles
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 11:59:15 PM »

What's the screen's resolution?
Bhrazz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 12:18:33 AM »

I use tilt all the time with FX custom brushes=(
Pages: [1] 2