OK, this is a story from quite some time ago. It is a cautionary tale on the Hubris of an hobbyist.
In the age between Cabinatiq and UbiQ, I was pretty down with myself.
The "daily" jitter of C.Q. made me despair, and I thought of buying an YiYnova MSP19U. Before, I wanted to know how it was the underlying tech, so I bought an Huion H610.
For all I know, it has the same digitizer tech from UC-Logic at the base (and, certes, the same crappy driver in windows).
After having found a proper driver for it in Linux, I used it at night with gimp and a numpad as hotkeys. It worked really well.
Then, I discovered that YiYnova charged 700Euros, in Europe, for the MSP19U, and hence my DIYrite got emboldened once again.
I decided to try and place a screen on the H610 (among other reasons, because the feeling of the battery-driven pen is way BETTER than that of my Intuos4!!!).
To avoid the issues I had with the Cabinetiq (panel, board and power brick from different sources: 1st board badly programmed, paid for the mail of a second one, and then a power brick totalled on arrival), I decided to buy a "package" from another ebay seller, ChinaTobby.
A combination or screen, a LP116WH1, a power brick and a controller kit with BVGA-DVI-DMI inputs.
I asked the seller if it was possible to have an LP116WH2 (more or less the same screen, but the TCON board lies in front of the panel instead of attached to the back of the case... I had bad experience stripping another small LP panel, before - another tale of loss, but, as it's been all my fault, I¡ll leave it to another day), and they graciously conceded.
The panel is a bright, precious 11.6", 1366x768, and everything worked perfectly on the spot.
I opened the H610: it has one and only one plastic board, with a metallic screen a couple of mm behind, spaced by a couple of conductive beds. As I was decided to use it with Linux, where its hotkeys won't work, I decided to avoid hassles with those and simply "forgot" them.
The first run, was horrible: plenty of random clicks and jitter.
This part was not so horrible, in reality: I still had to ground together the screen and the Huion board, so it was to be expected. And, to be honest, was similar to the first dry run of my successive build, the "UBiQ"
But I realized something that convinced me that it was not the case to pursue the build any more forward... the screen had an incredible amount of "geographical jitter".
To explain what I mean, I invite to take a look at a picture of how it did draw some inclined lines (I've done it by memory):
(171.38 KB. 1366x768 - viewed 301 times.)
It seemed that the data lines from the TCON board made some kind of strong interference all along their length, like they were cylindrical lenses for the pen signal.
If this was the case, the inner working of the TFT was to be an unsurmountable issue.
I chalked it to bad luck, and closed the project where it stands.
I'm sorry I do not have photos of the stripped H610 (I gifted it to a friend, a girl that was looking looking for a good tablet - the H610 is a good tablet), but it wasn't very interesting a sight either. pretty much, it's the same stuff as in the Monoprice tablets.
I still have the LP116 and the case I made (I make the cases first thing, because it means that you do not need to move things around much... which means you'd probably not break things; usually, it's 10 Euros of wood, so it's not such a loss, if they have to be rebuilt), so I added a couple of photos of those.