Bongofish
December 12, 2017, 09:17:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to improve the design  (Read 6380 times)
Rumi

Mad Artist/Scientist

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2006, 12:17:34 AM »

This is mainly a question for Drewid and others who have already completed their DIY Cintiq, but we can all benefit from the answers.

The question is, looking at your home-made Cintiq, how would you improve it? What are the things you would change in the next revision?

Clint

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 02:30:54 AM »

Make it thinner, lighter, cooler, and maybe brighter..
MrSlippy
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 02:33:33 AM »

rip out the inverter, reduce the draw distance from tablet to pen (only kidding about the first one, altho i wish i could, LOL)
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 11:23:29 AM »

LEDs so less heat.
move the screen, leaving a bigger patch of non-screen tablet to map to my other monitor.
Everything running off one power supply.
USB tablet would be nice.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Rumi

Mad Artist/Scientist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 11:53:11 PM »

Thanks guys, some good pointers there.

A couple of questions... why is it getting hot? Is it the backlight CCT that's heating up? Why does it get hotter than a normal LCD monitor? (is it because the wacom board is flush next to it and cutting off ventillation?)

Also making it thinner was mentioned.... It would be an interesting experiment to put the wacom board ontop of the working LCD, and see if there is still interference from the high voltage circuits. If there is then we would be wasting time trying to find a mm here and a mm there, and would be better off putting our efforts into relocating the high voltage circuits.

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM »

The inverter and the lamps both get hot.   I ran it for a while with no fan, so I don't think it's really such a problem, just me being paranoid.
Monitors tend to be pretty well ventilated, except for laptops which get away with it somehow.

The whole high voltage interference thing really has me puzzled, seeing as mine doesn't suffer from it.  The known differences are:
My inverter is under the sensor shielding, which is earthed/grounded through the Wacom interface board.
The bolts holding the interver in place go though holes previously used to earth it, and one of those contacts the shield as well.

Other differences may be frequencies or particular voltages involved.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 01:00:21 PM »

It depends... my first build, was good for what I needed at the time. Gloomy colours and bad sight angles were its main issues.

Also, when I started it, I had no idea I would have ended adding so many short-cut keys and auxiliary wheels, so they got all somewhat bad spaced in the end.

I could have rebuilt the case, to integrate all, but I decided to go for a bigger build, with a better screen.

The same ancillary commands issue resurfaced with the second build, though...

The best place for auxiliary switches is really just on the side of the drawing area, where the Intuos have it.

I avoided that, for issues of space and because I really wanted to use an integral glass over it, so that the whole thing was sturdier an quite easy to clean.

I may be able to solve that, in the future, either by using a flimsy membrane switch keypad (easy to do) or capacitive touch buttons (not so easy, damn).

On the other hand, some problems in my use of my builds are not inherent to the build.

To put it simply, I realize I should have really bought a chair with arm-rests....

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
freolm
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 01:27:10 PM »

Make it thinner, lighter, cooler, and maybe brighter..

Good advice +1

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: