Bongofish
November 13, 2019, 03:20:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What sort of screen can I use to make a Cintiq with an Intuos 3?
Any screen you want, so long as it's 15" - 0 (0%)
Specifc screen (please post where I can buy it) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What sort of screen CAN I use for this?  (Read 2303 times)
Bethany
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2015, 10:17:46 PM »

I have fallen in love with the way this guy has done his Cintiq mod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs-vZkcxYc4

I want to keep it within the tablet's casing, if I can. I have an Intuos 3 9X12 (Model: PTZ-930). I want to keep the screen within the casing of the tablet, so I'm also looking for the full tutorial, if I can, of what I can do. I'm going to be talking with NJYTouch to get the screen and controller for it. I have the basic idea of what to do, since I have the tutorials http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1767.0 and http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1783.0 . I just need to make sure I do it right the first time, since I have REALLY low funds and only one tablet to mess with.

Any tips as well as which screen I should use? Any tutorials that I should know about? Everything else that I've seen for the wacom Cintiq hack put the thing into a case, which I don't really need.

Also one other question... ... ...would one of those stands work on the modified tablet? So it would be at a better level for my back?

Check http://www.angelstarstudio.com/ for my animation update!
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 07:33:30 AM »

Getting a fairly good screen that does not interferewith the tablet is 90% of the job.

The screen in the k-jintiq seems a good choicr, unless therebisba LED version of the same.

The rest of thevwork is , really, not destroying the LCD while stripping it and not shorting things / electrostatic discharges (so, geep yoursel grouded all the time... I used simply an electric cable winded around my left wrist, connected to my flat ground dispersal).

As for where to put the controller fo the video, an external case on the back of the tablet is really the simplest solution, if you want to keep things neet and almost everything inside the original case.

Also, someone has gone for RF shielded cases, which may help avoid jitter #and, at some 15£, are not that expensive. I made mine from a scrapped PC case, so it depends on how comfortable you are at tinkering vs. your budget.

Leaving the circuits in the open is not a bright Idea, in my opinion.. unless you don't mind electrocuting your cat or something of that kind.

If you want to put your tablet on a vesa support, you might as well think at something to reinforfce the tablet case's back and hold the screw threads...

Personally, I built my stands, because I do not like the flimsyness sensation of the classic monitor stand... be ready to go and modify stuff, as getting the right ergonomy may not be that simple.

I never tried an ergotron monitor arm, though, so I may be going the wrong direction...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:43:10 AM by DaBotz » Logged

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
Bethany
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 07:42:31 PM »

Thanks for the reply! Smiley I'm still getting info, but I'm going to leave the building and modding to my brother, who has built his own computers for major gaming. His computer runs WOW like it was NOTHING!

I guess, if I'm going to get the best chance, I will have to fork out some money for a good thin screen panel with the controllers programmed for it, eh? I guess that's alright. I think at this point, I'd be willing to make that bit of investment, since I'm confident that it won't be totally trashed due to a lack of experience with electronics (I am great at tinkering and fixing little things, like a vaccuum, but I can't build a whole computer, honestly).

I talked to the people at that NJYTouch, and they said they didn't have ANY panels that were the size I needed! All the ones they had in the shape I need were too large, just by 0.2 inches. GAH! I don't know if that would make a DIFFERENCE, but I figured it would eventually get annoying if I have things on the outer edge that I need to click. DOES that bit of screen size make a difference?

Check http://www.angelstarstudio.com/ for my animation update!
DaBotz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 10:00:42 PM »

Both my builds are bigger than the screen.

The small one, is bigger by roughly 0.3 " (18 pixels) in both dimensions. In all, there is 1 control of photoshop that is unreachable, and the handles of the leftmost elements in thunderbird (not that you really need to get them,  as you can open-close them doubleclicking on the names of the elements, on their right). I usually just forget that the balet doesnt cover qll the screen.

The other build's screen is roughly 0.8 inches (60 pixels) wider, and comparably less tall than the tablet. The second characteristic is not much a problem, of course, but it makes a bit more awkward calibrating the thing.

A screen that wider is noticeable, the main issue being that scrollbars can fall outside the tablet area on the right... I "solved" this, simply, by placing the Windows taskbar vertically, on the right...

With that trick, I can still change the apps by clicking on the icons, and in most of the cases the scrollbar is reachable (unless I placed the app innfull screen mode, that sends the scrollbars in no man's land).

I need to use a mouse (mainly,mtonget tonthe rightmost icons innthe traybarea), from time to time but - make no mistake - on a 22", you use a mouse for a lot of things, because the screen is just too big to navigate using the pen.

Personally, I prefer to have a bit of unreachable scren but not lose too much drawing area...

Possible choices for my second build were 21" 4:3, 21.5" 16:9, 22" 16:10.

Only the first type would have falled inside the tablet area, but no way in hell to get one such screen in a reasonable time. Alternatively, any 20" screen would have fit with plenty of tablet spared.

I went for the biggest possible, and pretty happy with it.

But, it must be said... if I need to use a command more than thrice a day, I will find some keyboard shortcut for it... or a dedicated button.

I hardly ever need to reach the borders of the screen while drawing.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:16:33 PM by DaBotz » Logged

The most incredible artist of... Barbanza?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: