Bongofish
October 23, 2019, 03:30:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wacom Intuos 5 usb problem  (Read 21951 times)
Aergo
New Poster

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2015, 04:59:13 AM »

Ok I am sorry this is not strictly on the topic of DIY cintiq I really want to start a project but first I thought I might try and fix my intuos 5
and i thought you guys might be the best people to ask.

I really want start a diy cintiq project but at the moment I just don't have the expertise.

So I have had a problem with the Intuos 5 med touch.
The mini-usb port has broken off.

I know you can use a battery and wireless to bypass the usb connection but I would really like a permanent cable connection.

http://theaydin.tumblr.com/post/31005560950/how-to-repair-wacom-intuos-4-usb
there was this thread where it outlines some of the basics but all the connections are for the intuos 4 not 5
and on the intuos 5s circuit board almost nothing is labelled so I could not even try to work it out myself
I will attach a picture if any of you guys could help me out or point me in the right direction that would be just amazing

Thanks

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 12:46:06 PM »

Ok this shouldn't be too hard to help with. The connector used by Wacom on the Intuos range is the mini USB socket that has the pinout below:

* Miniusb.jpg (24.49 KB. 359x207 - viewed 2464 times.)

Therefore you need to solder the wires to the socket side of the closest components as per below:

* I5_PINOUTusb.jpg (109.17 KB. 585x441 - viewed 5391 times.)

Aergo
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 03:06:54 AM »

Thanks I will give that a try, but I am worried that the area is to small and I am going to mess up the board.

I have seen some other people with previous models soldering directly to the components which might make it easier and have less risk.
Also some of the connections you pointed out seem to be broken which might make it impossible to solder the cables.

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 09:03:25 AM »

Unfortunately there's not much you can do to find better places to solder since the components are so close to the socket. If it helps you could use a blade of some sort to scratch off the green surface of the PCB to reveal the wires underneath; be gentle and use solder with flux.
Aergo
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 09:47:09 AM »

Ok if I cant get it working I will try scratching off some of the PCB.

Thanks for your help
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »

Good luck!
facespace
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 07:00:16 PM »

How did you manage to get the case off? I want to open mine up to fix the usb port too, but the casing just does not want to open up.
reyes031
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 10:23:09 AM »

How did you manage to get the case off? I want to open mine up to fix the usb port too, but the casing just does not want to open up.

I am in the same boat as you here with my intuos 5 who's usb port broke when I barely leaned in the cord. I opened it up to see for my self and all the connections look way too small to work with. Opening the dang thing also was over an hour ordeal because there are 4 screws, 2 obvious ones are inside the slots and 2 under the rubber pads which you'll have to peel off. All the plastic hooks will probably break and undoing each one is a pain. Luckily with much attention I was able to not break any of the many white connections on the green board and overall I may be able to put it all back together with minor scratches on it. By the way those of you looking to save a few bucks in opening this up, you might just save $200 from what I heard that is what Wacom charges. however it might be cheaper to take it to a computer repair shop and see what they can do, that is my next step tomorrow morning. You have to factor in how much your time is really worth to you. I'm just an artist not a tech so I don't know much about this stuff however I can see that it was not built to last. I don't have the right tools for it and I certainly don't know how to solder properly or get more connections because some seem to have broken off.

Wacom makes some super great things but for the price couldnt they have given this detail a little more care.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »

I have to agree with this, Wacom should have provided decent usb connectors that can take regular everyday strain, although because their products are awesome where's the incentive to upgrade short of the tablet breaking? - just saying.

I wonder how much of a market there is for Wacom repairs? I have the ability, but could I justify the time?
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 06:54:07 PM »

for opening the plastic clips an old credit card is really helpful.
(http://ifixit.org/blog/4718/tool-hacks-sometimes-you-gotta-improvise/ here are other useful ideas Tongue)

-Jakob
adawe
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 04:33:02 AM »

http://sinpi.net/repairing-a-broken-usb-port-in-a-wacom-intuos-l/

consider that tutorial
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 09:15:50 AM »

Nice link, good find.