test1
May 29, 2017, 08:09:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help identifying the issue...  (Read 2051 times)
LeoPanthera
New Poster

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:20:27 AM »

Hey everyone! Just to preface everything, just assume I know very little about these sorts of builds.

So, about a couple months ago, I decided to try my hand at building a DIY Cintiq at the advice of a professor. I thought, why not, I'd like to do some digital animation without spending a couple grand just to do so. That's when I was pointed to TabletMod.com and I did a bit of research from there. Fast forward a few months of waiting for parts to ship from China during their New Year, and three broken-on-delivery screens later... and I have no clue what my problem is now.

When I plug in my laptop into the monitor set up to test it out, via HDMI, the monitor looks like:

* screen.jpg (406.84 KB. 900x672 - viewed 147 times.)

I'm not sure if the monitor is broken, or if the set up for the controller boards aren't compatible with it, or if it some other arbitrary problem I didn't quite catch.

Just to list the parts I'm referring to:
AU Optronics B154PW02 V.0 15.4" Screen
M.NT68676.2A LCD Controller Board Kit

They seem to be compatible, but I might just not know any better. Or could it be that the controller board isn't flashed properly? I just need some help and guidance on the issue.

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 08:27:50 AM »

Where did you get the controller board from? Did you ask them to configure it for the B154PW02 before they shipped out to you?

It looks to me like the controller had not been setup correctly for the panel it's driving since the image you're getting is a pattern that is consistent across the whole screen. One thing you could try is to download a free edid viewer, this should tell you what screen the controller thinks it is running.

You really only have a couple of options if the controller is programmed incorrectly, either contact the place you got it from and ask them to reprogram it, or buy a programmer and do it yourself.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 08:47:40 AM »

One other thing which I wonder is it you have connected the lvds cable the correct way around on the controller board.
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 10:43:09 AM »

My screen looked the same with an wrongly configured controller board.
LeoPanthera
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 05:29:50 AM »

Where did you get the controller board from? Did you ask them to configure it for the B154PW02 before they shipped out to you?

It looks to me like the controller had not been setup correctly for the panel it's driving since the image you're getting is a pattern that is consistent across the whole screen. One thing you could try is to download a free edid viewer, this should tell you what screen the controller thinks it is running.

You really only have a couple of options if the controller is programmed incorrectly, either contact the place you got it from and ask them to reprogram it, or buy a programmer and do it yourself.

Hmm... I'm going to attempt to contact the seller and see what options I have. For now, I'll try to see how to use an edid viewer. I really do hope it's just that it was neglected to be set up properly and not worst. Ever since I started this build, it's been a nightmare just getting this far. Thanks so much for your help!
LeoPanthera
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 05:30:59 AM »

My screen looked the same with an wrongly configured controller board.

That's a bit reassuring. I checked back today and the screen was just a solid white. I don't know why the edges were a bit black in the previous picture.
LeoPanthera
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 05:33:36 AM »

One other thing which I wonder is it you have connected the lvds cable the correct way around on the controller board.

Ya know, that is one thing I tried too. I'm pretty sure I have it the right way. One way makes the screen a solid white while the other way makes it a solid black with some horizontal white lines through it. I'm pretty sure the LVDS cable only fits one way on the screen-side.
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 07:30:35 AM »

On the screen side it should only for one way, on the lvds controller side the cable should have either a tiny number one embossed on the plastic connector or a painted dot to highlight that the pin closest to it is pin one, the controller PCB should also have a marking to show pin one, and these should be lined up. It's probably best to make sure that you don't keep trying the screen with the connector wired the wrong way just in case.

Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 07:43:24 AM »

I've just remembered the name of the viewer I've used in the past, it's called Monitor Asset Manager and it's made by EnTech the company that made PowerStrip which you might have seen mentioned on the forum. Anyway the link is here:

http://entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

This software gathers info from the controller directly to find out how it is set and what it's limitations are. If I remember right you just load the thing up and it shows you all you need in a panel in the right. Check the resolution and screen size - this should give you some indication as to what's wrong.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:46:35 AM by Aerendraca » Logged
LeoPanthera
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 07:54:26 AM »

On the screen side it should only for one way, on the lvds controller side the cable should have either a tiny number one embossed on the plastic connector or a painted dot to highlight that the pin closest to it is pin one, the controller PCB should also have a marking to show pin one, and these should be lined up. It's probably best to make sure that you don't keep trying the screen with the connector wired the wrong way just in case.

Oh! That does make sense. I didn't even see those markers. I'm glad you're around to get my back. I've made the proper adjustment.

I looked over all my pieces again today and I came to a startling realization that I might not have the right screen in the first place. The people that I've bought the screen from had shipped me one a long while ago and I never had the opportunity to check it because I was missing the controller board. When I got the board, I realized that the first screen had been broken. I check today and sure enough my current screen is completely different than the one advertised when I first made the purchase.

It is plainly evident that the company I chose to purchase from is not at all competent.

In any case, it's probably best if I also check out the controller board too. I'll see about checking out the one you suggested. It was a busy day and I didn't get a chance to do any research, so thanks so much for suggesting this!
LeoPanthera
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 02:45:28 AM »

Well okay. Update on the situation. After all the hassle, the company that I bought from couldn't send me the right screen after all this time. In the end, after e-mailing them about the fourth, and inevitably final, screen being wrong, I got a pitiful "I don't know what to do now." Thankfully, they never asked for that fourth screen to be returned and now I have a new screen, that is now free, due to them issuing me a refund on the payment.

I'm guessing it's not so bad. Free screen, correct size, but different set-up than I wanted. It only has one cable coming out of it that's smaller than the LVDS cable on my current controller board.

The screen is an AU Optronics B154PW04 V.2. I'm assuming that the one connector is all I need because it's an LED monitor? The original one I wanted to buy is the AU Optronics B154PW02 V.0, which is LCD?

Are there are serious differences I need to keep in mind? Also, does anyone have a good website/seller to go through for a compatible controller board? Would I need to buy a whole new button board that's compatible with the controller board, or would the one I possess be okay? Or is it specific to each maker of each controller board?
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 03:55:40 PM »

Ok there are some differences between the two panels. The W02 model uses CCFL backlighting, has a 30pin LVDS connector and is about 0.2mm thicker that the W04. The W04 model is WLED backlit, has a 50pin LVDS connector, and better viewing angles. Both panels are of the TN type with matching aspect ratio and resolutions.

Assuming that the LVDS controller was programmed correctly for the W02, in principle it should work fine with the W04, however you would need to get hold of the LED backlight driver attachment and a 50pin LVDS connector that mates with the W04 screen. Given that the controllers are not too expensive in the first place my suggestion here is to contact NJYTouch and request the same board again but that will work on the B154W04, that way they can sort out compatibility issues with the hardware. By the way NJYTouch sell on ebay these days too, you just need to contact them before ordering and they will set you up a specific auction for your requirements.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: