test1
March 24, 2017, 08:59:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion on Screen/protector Material  (Read 1550 times)
procersapientiae
New Poster

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2015, 10:20:23 AM »

Hello, All,
I am aiming to make a tablet that has the "surface feel" of a real wacom tablet. How do they make it "feel right" is it some kind of  built-in screen protector, or is it just tempered glass? What gives it that special feel? Or am I just making stuff up?

I was reading some other post about optical bonding, is this now cheap enough to do in-home without breaking the bank? It'd be way sweet to just bond an LCD to some glass.

Thanks.
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 12:14:24 PM »

For the surface you can buy a Cintiq screen protector (I have one on my Cintiq and it feels exactly the same as the original surface).
LeoPanthera
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 07:57:49 AM »

Good suggestion XDjackieXD! My build has just clear acrylic over the surface and I've been curious about a good was to prevent scratching.
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:16:28 AM »

Just make sure to not buy a glossy protector (these don't have that surface).
procersapientiae
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 04:09:22 AM »

So, something like one of these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Glare-LCD-Screen-Protector-Guard-Anti-Scratch-Film-for-Wacom-CINTIQ-24HD-/111371321949?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ee3f825d

It's so expensive, and the reviews on similar products on amazon are not great between both difficulty of application, and not providing quite the same surface as a stock cintiq. (more pen grab, too glossy, etc)

I ordered a busted old 15x PL-550, as well as a few non-functioning Tablet PCs, so maybe I'll get some more insight into the surface.

It seems like it's a semi-gloss or satin finish glass from the way people describe it? Is it possible to get something cut like that? Based on the cost of a protector it'd probably be cheaper to just get the cut surface.
Thanks,
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 01:20:47 PM »

I have this one on my cintiq and it feels exactly like the original surface:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/111368729644?nav=SEARCH
(I just hald to wipe it with a microfibre cloth after applying because it was a bit sticky between the transport protection and the protector).
The surface oft a cintiq is like rough sandblasted glass but you can see trough it much better than through sandblasted glass.
metapharsical

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 06:21:07 PM »

Not a bad idea with the thin-film-anti-glare-oleophobic screen protectors, don't have to wear our gloves anymore? Cheesy
Sounds like an ideal protector, I looked up the 22HD size:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111368737674
I'd have to shell out $60 to fit my 21.5" panel.

I have to assume there's some difference from this similar $26 film:
www.ebay.com/itm/271313758276
$60 is not a shocking price for the size, but personally in my ongoing build, I'm budgeting cheaper and making possible sacrifices of frictionless feel and finger smudges for something less expensive.
Heck, I'm strongly considering just drawing on a bare LCD panel, no additional glass, no acrylic, and no film... but that's another post.

I can only say I've had a real Cintiq in front of me twice. So I don't know what's Cintiq® "right feel". But hey, whatever feels good to you is what's right. Glass is hard with high static friction, acrylic and film coating have some give and low friction. Either way you're always drawing with a plastic pen nib, so the feel is not going to vary all that drastically...
FWIW, consider wearing a drawing glove ontop glass, it really helps your palm not stick.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:17:00 AM by metapharsical » Logged
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 01:15:19 PM »

The second protector could work as well (they state that it has a hard surface which is important).

-Jakob
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: