(Fixed Missing Pictures)
A little more progress, also check my last post on page 1... I posted new pictures from the shop
Here it was, oh about 2 months ago, with the acrylic cut and joined.
backside bare mockup.jpg
(206.15 KB. 1920x1337 - viewed 268 times.)
I now finished this half of the case, which included:
- mating Carbon Fiber rods together to form the inner frame
- gluing the carbon fiber frame to the wacom mu-metal sheet
- cutting plastic corner/edge blocks
- gluing the plastic blocks to the inner C.F. frame and acrylic outer case simultaneously.
first I had to cut the horizontal C.F. frame rods to fit:
...using some custom jigs to set the length of the cut -and to support the rod during cutting:
(332.76 KB. 1920x1306 - viewed 244 times.)
Then, a couple grainy pictures show the rear scavenged-dell-cover thrown-in.
top: outer view
bottom: inner (empty)
(212.54 KB. 800x1080 - viewed 270 times.)
Done with the Carbon Fiber, next I inserted the shield sheet (from the Intuos) under the frame between the CF and Acrylic and just glued the CF & steel shield together(2-part epoxy)
Then it was time to join the C.F. frame to the acrylic case via plastic blocks
(I made these blocks to mate the curve of the C.F. rods and the bow-edge of the acrylic)
Anchor skin & frame.jpg
(209.83 KB. 1920x910 - viewed 239 times.)
I could have used ~6 different glues which could work. I decided to use the acrylic 2-part Epoxy and dye it black with plain-old fabric dye just to see if it would look interesting enough to leave visible from the outside...
To be honest, results are not fantastic...with only ~5 minutes before epoxy begins to set, my 4 small batches of glue ended up with hastily varied amounts of powdered dye and thickness. So I've dark and light colored joints
(186.73 KB. 1920x1134 - viewed 233 times.)
Along the way, I learned a brutal lesson about the brittleness of acrylic.
Just before I put the blocks into the case I got the bright idea to blow dust out of the crevices with a Can-of-compressed-air (y'know the kind you get at the computer store for cleaning your keyboard)
But I was careless and I tipped the can and blasted the edge in a big sweeping motion. What came-out-of-the-Can-was-not-air, as you might have already guessed... That liquid-cold propellant chemical spat out, hitting the acrylic and in an instant a terrible sound, like squeaky-ice shattering, hit my eardrums...
Of course... the extreme temperature difference (on the inside surface) caused the material to stress and crack. Very very stupid of me.
(208.14 KB. 2560x1215 - viewed 241 times.)
Fuck. It almost looked like I botched the whole project. The cracks are 90% through the material depth and almost top to bottom like tiger stripes across inch's/cm's of a substantial part -the case edge- where it could be stressed in normal use, causing it to crack completely apart. I will need to re-enforce this area now, and the hope that gluing some blocks behind it will prevent total failure.
So, it is decided. I will paint the exterior in whatever spray-paint will have good adhesion and wear characteristics (Krylon Fusion, or similar 'plastic bonding' paint), in a very dark grey color.
My penultimate post will be soon. The front half of the case has some challenging features, but it should be much less cutting and fabricating than I've had to do so far