test1
June 28, 2017, 11:42:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A bit of Penabled digitizer sience  (Read 1679 times)
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« on: September 11, 2015, 04:37:04 PM »

I got two 13,3" Penabled digitizers a while back and I decided to solder leads to one of them and try to connect it.
I knew it is a USB digitizer so I looked for the pinout on the wiki and connected it according to it.

After I connected everything and nothing worked I started to think if the digitizer was defective or if I had to connect some additional pins.
The one error that pops up in the syslog (Linux) says "unable to enumerate USB device".
So what did I do wrong? Turns out the data pins are swapped! (the wiki says Pin3=D- and Pin4=D+ but this is wrong. at least for my digitizer)
After swapping the two lines, Linux happily detected the digitizer and everything was working as expected. great!

I connected it using the following scheme:
Pin 1 & 2: GND
Pin 3: Data +
Pin 4: Data -
Pin 13: 3,3V
Pin 14: GND

Also I noticed that the tablet resets if I pull pin 11 to GND (and only connects back to the PC if pulled to 3,3V or replugging the digitizer)
All other pins had 0,0V (no Pen-is-on-digitizer-LED Sad )

Here a few pictures of my setup:

* IMG_20150911_163328_1.jpg (349.19 KB. 2463x1767 - viewed 153 times.)

* IMG_20150911_163345_1.jpg (375.78 KB. 2000x1500 - viewed 143 times.)

* IMG_20150911_163357_1.jpg (466.5 KB. 1400x1867 - viewed 140 times.)

If you have any more questions or things I could try out just ask. (It's not a huge deal if I kill it as I have a second one and one did cost 3€ so I can tinker with it a bit more than with usual tablets Grin )

-Jakob

Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:56:42 PM »

Hmm this board doesn't seem to have ZD1 soldered and it works with USB? Have you tried to see if it can do both UART and USB or if it's "hardwired" for just USB?
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 08:03:32 PM »

Why should the ZD1 be needed for USB?
Neither my 3 USB Penabled digitizers (two of the one I used here and one from a random screen I got off ebay) nor the serial one I got from an old Acer laptop had ZD1 soldered on.
I have to supply 3.3V though (note the little protoboard in the top left corner of the first picture) and not 5V.
Ertew

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 12:06:08 AM »

As far as i know, Wacom processors works only with 3v3 supply. USB is 3v3 interface too (if you measure only D+ or D- signals) so no problem.
ZD1 is required for do a simple conversion form 5V supply to 3v3 supply.
BTW, I have fully working USB camera from old laptop. This module is powered from 3v3, as most of electronic integrated inside.

Back to topic. Did You have USB digitizer from Tablet PC?
If yes, please sniff and share specification for USB protocol. Wish somebody can make template for WaxBee that working with native Tablet PC drivers integrated in many OS.

Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 02:05:32 PM »

Yeah, i was under the impression that ZD1 is how you can tell serial and USB digitizers apart but apparently that's not the case. This must mean that in some cases the 3.3V regulation happens on the laptop's motherboard. Anyway, my question is can you also run the same board using serial?
XDjackieXD

*me trying to draw*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 11:48:14 PM »

Back to topic. Did You have USB digitizer from Tablet PC?
If yes, please sniff and share specification for USB protocol. Wish somebody can make template for WaxBee that working with native Tablet PC drivers integrated in many OS.
Yes those are from tablet PCs.
To get the protocol just look in the Linux wacom drivers...
Way better documented than raw captures.

Anyway, my question is can you also run the same board using serial?
I would strongly guess not but I haven't tried it as USB is much more convenient (and works plug'n'play on Linux) Tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: